10 Replies Latest reply: Feb 27, 2013 12:41 AM by eb5147 RSS

Sticker shock

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

InsideFlyer's last page of the new issue has an article about Hotel Value for Frequent Guests.  The last line of the first paragraph states that "annual hotel awards category reassignments from Marriott, SPG, Carlson and Hilton may bring more sticker shock in 2013."  Ya think?

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Sticker shock

Sorry, I misquoted -- it said "award shock" in the line, not what I titled my post.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Is the edit option available to you when you posted the original.  If so, will it not let you edit the heading?  Just wondering because it's usually available when I make a post anywhere, but hasn't been lately in at least one category for whatever reason?

hi eb5147,

The edit option used to be available, but since as I age I am making increasing typos (or in this case just checked back with the article in hand) I would like it to be available.  But unless I'm missing something it's not.

Some of mine haven't had any options, either.  I don't know what makes the difference, because on my post that you're answering, the edit and delete options are available.  It just gets crazy sometimes.  Maybe it's because it was a topic starter post?  No idea, really.  

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

From this, it appears that they all are devaluing points.  Competition is supposed to keep prices down but it appears that it can take prices or points up too.

That's why I'm for free agency!  I'm checking all my upcoming trips both against other rewards programs that have given me Platinum status as well as expedia, orbitz, booking and hotels.com

Why should we reward Marriott for devaluing our loyalty rewards (over a considerable period, now, if you include lost amenities like weekend breakfasts and CLs -- this is simply the last straw)?

And that doesn't even mention the worthless "lowest price guarantee", which should be blatant false advertising.  I sometimes find it cheaper even in highway motel coupon booklets, or find a good price in same, call, and find out that I can't get it cheaper.

And as ERC has mentioned many times, AAA rates are sometimes higher than standard rates.  I saw that on rooms in Charleston, SC where I was looking for a room in the middle of March.

BTW, I've also found great rates available at welcome centers and Chambers of Commerce.

mrrich Platinum

Hilton was absolutely brutal, Marriott very significant, but SPG's was rather tame (though combined with the C&P hit, it could be considered a bit stiff).  Carlson?  I had to look up who they were...

red-in-la Platinum 1 Reviews

What wonderful timing, just when Marriott is out there campaigning for the Freddie Awards, pandering for votes.  Well, just bless their little hearts.  I'm thinking 50k points might sway my vote

Maybe, next time, the bean counters should consult with the marketing folks on timing???

LOL.  I agree with that.  Dumb timing.  It seems like it was the same way last year, too.  I think maybe the lowering for lifetime was to counteract the bad news. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...