18 Replies Latest reply: Feb 6, 2014 4:09 PM by sparty81 RSS

Platinum elite vs Platinum Premier Elite

faireone Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I recently received a black membership card with the words "Platinum Premier Elite" on it.  I can't seem to find what the difference is between this one and a platinum elite card.  Anyone know?  Thanks.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Platinum elite vs Platinum Premier Elite
    jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

Congratulations, you officially have no life.

Seriously, it's an invitation-only status from Marriott for its "top 3%" of guests in a calendar year. What you get besides the card is a secret phone number and, well, that's about it, really. We're supposed to be placed above mere Platinums for any upgrades available, such as a room with a flushing toilet, or a little farther from the Dumpsters than usual.

Some properties do try to make a true distinction (like the Marriott San Antonio Rivercenter), most don't either notice or even know what it is. Keep us posted with anything you notice you get above & beyond your regular experience.  We like to reward properties that care as much as possible, and are ready to drop a dime on those that don't.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Congratulations!  Why don't you call the toll free number and ask what additional benefits you receive, and then report back to us, so we all know!  I think last year someone mentioned that they got a years free worth of issues of the Wall Street Journal as an additional benefit.

mi97tbird Platinum 33 Reviews

AT least you received one.

satbuyser Platinum 2 Reviews

I get 20% on food and beverages from bar and restaurant @ Rennaissance Montura - LAX and give it to the person that served me.

dhodory Platinum

Ok, so I saw "Platinum Premier" show up on my online account and decided to call the PP 1-877 phone number to ask a few questions.

While the operator was quick to pick up, he didn't seem to be very knowledgeable about what PP status actually *meant* - which I found pretty disappointing for a supposedly dedicated line.  For example, I asked him if there was a specific webpage on the Marriott website that described the benefits, he said "I don't know".  I asked him what PP status was and he said "It's for the top 5% of Marriott customers."  I asked him if I was supposed to get something in the mail or some sort of mailer and he said "No, I don't think so."  I asked him what the PP benefits actually were, and his response was "It's basically a concierge type service." and gave me a couple of examples (mostly focused around making reservations).

Overall, while I appreciate the short phone wait time, if the *actual* Marriott PP benefits/services are anything like my phone experience today . . . consider me unimpressed to downright disappointed.  In fact, I think Marriott would be better off either: a) providing *real* tangible benefits for being PP, or b) simply eliminating the tier all together so that people such as myself don't *expect* that being PP means something when it, in fact, does not.

The good news is that I"m about 50k points away from qualifying for lifetime Platinum status (something I should easily hit in the next month or so).  So, if I find the PP benefits to be as hollow as they currently appear, I can simply move my business to another chain and start accruing points there with no real loss in benefits for having done so.  I certainly *wish* PP meant something tangible for me . . . I'd *like it* if my long-term loyalty to Marriott actually *got me something* . . . but if that's not the case, I can adapt.

dhodory Platinum

Ok, small update: I received my "Platinum Premier" welcome package in the mail this weekend.  It's a toiletry kit.  Not bad, gave it to the wife.  Toiletry kit aside, the welcome package materials and description of benefits is pretty weak, however.  Again, it's not like I'm upset or angry about the Premier tier, it just feels a little hollow.  Specifically, if this truly *IS* the top 3% of spenders at Marriott, and Marriott truly *wants* to recognize these folks and make them feel special (as well as provide an incentive for other to attempt to achieve this level of status), why not make the tier more meaningful?  Simple stuff would really do the trick -- basically, just provide *priority* in all aspects of the membership: priority upgrades, priority Reward stays/upgrades (or perhaps an earlier window?), etc.  At least that would prove to be some sort of tangible benefit to PP tier members.  As it currently stands PP comes off as "half baked" . . . more sizzle than steak, when it would be sooooo easy to make it meaningful.

santatogo Platinum

Lately being PPE means we will put you next to the elevator and on the noisiest side of the hotel.  My collegues got the toiletry kit but I have not.    I was with Hilton and left them for the same reason.  the who cares how many nights you stay with us attitude.  About time to make another change.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Wow,

I hope Marriott reads these comments!

This is not good news!

johnydynamic Platinum

I spent a year at a very conspicuous Marriott in NJ.*

I didn't know Platinum Premier existed until I noticed a list that had been left at the front desk. I asked the night person, with whom I had become very friendly, what Platinum Premier could get that I, a mere Platinum, could not. His answer was "anything they want."

My point is that the benefits of the status most likely arise when something is requested for which special consideration is required, eg they will bend over backwards for me, but will combine that with somersaults and will juggle balls with their feet for you.

Regards,

Johny D.

* By "conspicuous" I mean that it's a landmark used in all of the NY metro area traffic reports concerning backups at the George Washington Bridge, wherein it's referenced as "the hotel".

ryankolb2001 Platinum 3 Reviews

I got the toilettre bag as well.  But other than that, I haven't seen much benefit from it this year.  Very few hotels notice it and I am usually congratulated for my Platinum status....sometimes a Platinum Premier whatever that is, kind of remark.  Seems that very few of the Marriott desk staff know or understand the status. 

sparty81 Platinum

This is my third year being PPE. In the USA I do not see a lot of difference other than the managers seem really nice to me. Overseas is a different story, I am treated like a king!  When I was a regular platinum I would get a room upgrade but not always the best room and not much more. Since becoming PPE I have gotten a personal monogram bath robe in Manila, talk about a great welcome gift!  I get extra welcome gifts in Cebu (wine fruit and cheese) in addition to the standard welcome gift options and sometimes more than one in a stay. An amazing room upgrade in Hong Kong and a nice business card wallet and a tin filled with tea. In Okinawa I was in a room on the top floor that was an amazing suite and a nice set of gifts as well.  Not sure if that is what I will get anywhere else or if anyone else has gotten that kind of treatment but it is nice to see it means something to the  folks in the Far East.

I look forward to some of the other Marriott around the world to see what happens.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...