9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 25, 2013 10:55 PM by michellel RSS

Gaithersburg Marriott Still Delivering the Goods

erc Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Anytime I get a bit agitated over Marriott's aggressive profit maximization tactics (and us DC area Redskin fans have been 'Snydered' for over a decade, so we know squeezing when we see it) a stay at one of the many well run DC area Marriotts often brings me back to a peace of mind, equilibrium. Most all of the DC area properties are well run, customer oriented hotels, perhaps due to their proximity to and exposure from corporate HQ. The Gaithersburg Md. Marriott, which I have visited since the 80s, fits the profile well. Good 340 sq. ft. rooms, more than half of them with pleasant (my photo doesn't do it justice, see website photos) lake views and the trademark comfortable beds, easy access to the Interstate (but no noise), solid internet services and free parking. I've had good meals at the Grille. I'm thinking post renovations, this property is really going to hit the mark of excellence. The Gaithersburg Marriott has in my experience, always been crisply run, treated us fine, and provided a solid evening's stay; be it for a special occasion like dinner at Volt up the road in Frederick, an enjoyable weekend at the contiguous Rio Center with a nice meal, movie, and summertime festivals or (shhh) a holiday oasis when visiting the in-laws, just down the street (you can often grab a weekend $79 or $89 rate).

The property is undergoing a major renovation and as often the case with Marriott associates, they really double down on service when the challenges increase. Gymrats, the workout room is currently closed, but if you're up for it, you can take a pleasant, quick, walk along the lake to Sport and Health Fitness Center (free) and not skip a beat. The concierge lounge, modest in size, is competently staffed and loaded with all the things we like, along with a soothing lakefront view. So in summary; no, not a JW, not the Cosmopolitan, nor the St. Pancras Renaissance, but a well run, satisfying suburban Cat. 4 (next year also) property which was just the antidote I needed to help me remember what it's all about - a great day to be alive.

PS - michellel2 and Andy NathalieF , as we drove by HQ on 270, we gave you a 'tip of the wing' honk in appreciation for your recent efforts of communicating public info to us Insiders as soon as possible. I appreciate it.

IMAG0755.jpg

One of the concierge and tenth floor room views (even nicer when green, note walking/jogging path).

A solid CY at top of photo, (but no free coffee/breakfast)

Plenty of restaurants behind the buildings and retail - swan paddle boat rides and Jimmy Buffett type bands in the summer.

The Marriott is giving double check in bonus during renovation (so you can have your wine and points)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts SpringHill Suites Raleigh Cary
  • Re: Gaithersburg Marriott Still Delivering the Goods
    NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Thanks erc for the report and the nod! We're always your biggest advocates and we'll be sure to pass along to the GM.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Thanx Erc for the update!

Is this the property near Lakeforest Mall?

I remember staying at a Marriott by the mall that was very nice!

I also recently stayed at another property closer to Germantown.

erc Platinum

Gem, this Marriott is a couple of miles south on 270 before Lakeforest, right next to the Sodexho HQ, which was a spinoff of Marriott's Contract Food Service division (hospitals, schools, corp hqs, and environmental services). There's also a CY on the lake, and a SpringHill and Res. Inn around the corner.  I remember that Marriott right outside the Lakeforest mall, we used to stop by there with a lot of the Marriott employees that lived in/nearby Montgomery Village. I'm pretty sure it's now a Hilton.

Erc,

didn't realize Sodexho was a Marriott spin off.

they run our cafeteria at the office.

given the clarification, I think the property I was at last trip might have been this one, as I have never been there before while I stayed at the property near Laekforest many times.

writerguy55 Platinum

The best parts about this property are the shopping/dining area adjacent and the proximity to the Metro. You can visit D.C. and not have to drive within 15 miles of the city. I've been to this Marriott twice on business and the next time I take my family to D.C. to sightsee this is where I'll go.

writerguy55

Now that you mention it, I do remember the shopping/dining area adjacent (also a parking garage that I used).

Where it the metro located?

writerguy55 Platinum

You have to drive to it, about a mile or so, but the parking is free on the weekends and after hours. I think it's the Shady Grove station. It's the last one on whatever line goes that way.

Marriott Associate Member

Dang - I'm working remotely from Denver for 5 weeks or else I would have waved back!  Next time, let us know when you're coming to town and stop by for lunch - we've just had our cafe remodeled and it's totally fab!  We'll even buy!  ;-)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...