3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 19, 2013 2:21 PM by kharada46 RSS

Courtyard Maui Kahului Airport

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

The Courtyard Maui is a new category 4 hotel located about 1.3 miles from the Kahului Airport (OGG).  It is not near a beach; however, it was perfectly located for our whale watching trip with the Pacific Whale Foundation and other sightseeing trips we wanted to take.  We were warmly welcomed and thanked for our loyalty when we checked in.  The lobby is large with 3 computers available for use.  We never tried the Bistro, but it sure smelled good.  Our room had a lovely view of Haleakala (and Costco )The room was large enough for a king size bed, desk, sleeper sofa, and coffee table.  The bathroom had only a shower which is what we prefer.  We were allowed a 2-hour late check-out with no problem.  I used a gift card to pay for the stay and they did have a little trouble processing it, telling me they would need to send me a check for the remaining amount on the card.  When we got home, we had a phone call telling us they had been able to correct their mistake and the remaining value was on the card.

The hotel is a great starting point for a drive on the Road to Hana or a trip up Haleakala'.  It is also easy to get to the 'Iao Needle from the Courtyard.  Wailea is about 10 miles away and was an easy drive for breakfast at Moose McGillycuddy's (got a BOGO coupon online), pineapple shopping at The Times Grocery Store (we don't have a Costco membership), a fabulous shave ice at Ululani's Hawaiian Shave Ice (4 locations on Maui), and sunset viewing from the area's many beaches. We also enjoyed lunch at Da Kitchen which is located near the hotel and a tasty Hawaiian pizza at KMart (our traditional Thanksgiving lunch the 2 times we were flying out of Maui on Thanksgiving Day).

We would definitely stay at this hotel again.  We don't usually stay at Courtyards, but this one will stay on our go to list.  I especially like the new Courtyards even if they don't have breakfast.

Going to Maui in February to see the whales has been on the top of my bucket list for a long time.  I've seen them in November a couple of times, but those trips have been whale searches, not whale watches, because they are just beginning to arrive in Maui.  I had heard that they call February in Maui "Whale Soup".  Humpback whales travel to the waters around Maui from Alaska to give birth because of the warm waters and lack of predators.  We learned that the female whales who weigh about 90,000 pounds, lose 1/3 of their body weight--30,000 pounds--because there is nothing for them to eat in Hawaii+they are feeding their babies about 100 gallons of milk a day.  They save their energy while they are in Hawaii, but we did see one whale breach.  We saw moms teaching their babies how to pectoral flap, tail flap, etc., and one competition pod (males chasing a female).

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Kahului, Hawaii, USA
  • Re: Courtyard Maui Kahului Airport
    kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Thanks for the great review razorbackfan! 

Never stayed at this location (or any Marriott on Maui yet), but you are right, the centralized location in Kahului makes it an excellent starting point to explore the rest of the island!  And no resort fee right?   

Please share pictures if you have!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

No resort fee!  I took some pictures with my cell phone that I will put up.  I did not even try to get whale pictures, but I'm sure my husband got some good ones.  I'll try to put up a few.  Also, the rental car company I asked you about worked out just fine....saved us $$$$$$$$$$!

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

That's good!   

I know, those whales are difficult to take pictures of!  Even with a fast DSLR... 

Look forward to seeing your pictures!  And I'm glad the rental car company worked out!!  Come back soon! 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...