18 Replies Latest reply: Feb 25, 2013 6:05 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Hotels in London

profpoin Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Will you please share your knowledge of Marriott Hotels in London - Central City.  Closeness to public transportation?  Walking distance to major sites?

Concierge Lounge?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts London Marriott Hotel County Hall
  • Re: Hotels in London
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

profpoin,

Everyone has their London "Favorites", mine is County Hall!

Please go back and look at previous "Posts".  Think about your budget, and if you are going on "Points", book by May 15th!  Otherwise, you will dealing with a lot of Category 9 properties, if you can even get in!

Let us know how we can help you in more detail!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
    London, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts London Marriott Hotel County Hall
      profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Mine is the West India Quay, mostly because it is NOT typical of London.  I love the East End and the area around Canary Wharf is fantastic.  Plus the hotel staff there let me in to my room at 7:30 in the morning, something that will never happen at the County Hall, and I was treated wonderfully throughout my stay.

Still, I won't be staying there next trip to London, but rather at an Indigo hotel near Tower Hill, because it is closer to my research.

But each to their own -- most London travelers like the West End; I'm one of the weirdos who does not.

ProfChiara

profpoin Platinum

Thanks for the response.  Can you add information about the transporation options from Heathrow to downtown London - again my first trip to London, profchiara.

profpoin,

You can take the subway from Heathrow to Westminster and then walk across the bridge to County Hall.  It will take about an hour and is your least expensive way to get there.  You can also arrange for Nic, or his Concierge Staff, to arrange to have you met after you clear customs, and drive you directly to the hotel.  It will be the same price as a taxi, much better car, and you can put the charge on your room.  These people are great!

IMG_1394.JPG

Abundio, and staff are so great at recommending places to dine and enjoy!

IMG_1418.JPG

Nic, is the "Consummate Concierge", a person who can really help you on your first trip to London!

Tell him "Hello"!  Will see him in May, along with other MRI people.

erc Platinum

Thanks for the tip and great photos jerry.

That's exactly what I'm going to do, map it out with Nic. I get there the 19th right after you guys leave - don't wear him out.

erc,

Your will not "Wear out" this fine group of professionals.

BTW, to save money, just buy a pass at The Heathrow tube for the time you are going to be in London, "Oyster Pass", and then take the tube to Westminster.

Once there, just walk across the Thames and you are at County Hall.  You will not find a cheaper, or faster way to get there.

Just remember at over $10 a gallon for gas, taxis are really expensive, and traffic is terrible.

IMG_2242.JPG

This is your view as you walk across the Thames from the Westminster tube to the hotel.  Note the "London Eye"!

I agree with Jerry and have lived with my Oyster Pass for about five years now, ever since they made it available. It's good on all transportation, much cheaper than buying individual tickets, and saves time.

Professor,

Am going to make it over to the "Wharf area" in May, and will dine at The Renaissance.

It sounds like a wonderful place, and the place to stay for a show at The "O".

Hope to get together with Chris, Arkwright, and others.

erc Platinum

jerry and prof

Excellent. Thanks for the tube tip, it was the last piece of my travel puzzle; oyster or travel card. The good news, since planning for my trip, the dollar has strengthened against the pound by about 5%, so every lit bit helps. I'll work with Nic and his team on securing spots at the recommendations made by the Insiders. I've already snagged Petrus and Les Mis as my 'foundation' events, then perhaps the Globe, Old Vic, and the National. I'm growing more comfortable the more I learn and the more you guys share, plus I'm growing more confident of being able to walk from County Hall to the majority of my areas of interests, with an occasional tube ride, if necessary. As you can tell, I'm getting pumped, thanks for all the help.

Hi erc,

If you have a chance include the British Museum -- it's amazing!

ProfC

professor is so right!

One other thing, it is FREE!

Take the "Big Red Bus" I cannot remember if it gets there directly, but if it gets close enough it would be a short walk!  Here is a few things you will see there:

IMG_1415.JPG

Crystal Skull, "Real or Not"?

FH030011.jpg

The "Rosetta Stone", is amazing!

FH030013.jpg

"Egyptology" is outstanding!

Will have more for you later!

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I am a big fan of the Imperial War Museum myself and the Henry VIII wine cellar (last not open to the public)

anadyr,

Thanks for the information on Henry's "Wine Cellar", had never even heard of it before.  But The War Museum is a "Hidden Gem"!

IMG_2198.JPG

Impressive place!

IMG_2200.JPG

Something for everyone!

IMG_2201.JPG

You can enjoy this place and really not spend a lot of time here!

Enjoy London!

Yes, Jerry is absolutely correct -- I spent almost all of my time in the Egyptian rooms, which are truly phenomenal.  And if you'd like some good food before or after there is a fabulous Turkish restaurant practically next door on Bloomsbury Street. I got there early (before 12) and managed to get a table, but it's good to reserve.

Here are a few more photos from the Egypt wing.  The first is from the Nebamum room (a royal official) of Nebamum hunting with his cat. 101_0485_1.JPG101_0491_1.JPG101_0431_1.JPG101_0497_2.JPG101_0361_1.JPG

professor,

Just "Outstanding"!

The nice thing about the British Museum is that is really doesn't take that much time to see and enjoy it!

professor, I am not a "Museum guy", but this and one other Museum in London really "Got my attention" and that is:

The British War Museum!

travelbuff Platinum 2 Reviews

Have  stayed at County Hall (favorite) many times and love it!  Great welcoming staff!   Beautiful hotel,great location , adjacent to westminster bdg, London eye, tube, walking to WM cathederal and other sights--ie:churchill's Bunker,etc..  Great location for getting bus /tube or boat ride on the Thames,  as well as great taxi service.   -can also walk the mall to Buckingham Palace.     Also , Grovenor  Square  marriott is nice. W/park close and tube as well as Harrods close by.

travelbuff Platinum 2 Reviews

***there is an express train right from Heathrow directly to center of London, then take quick taxi to hotel.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Incoming Links