9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 18, 2013 7:18 PM by nuhusker RSS

Changes to Program and MegaBonus Offers

carolynd Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

As a Gold Elite member I was very disappointed to learn that my megabonus offer for this spring is far less attractive than the one that pops up on your website.  Why do I have to stay 15 nights to get any benefit when other members get a free paid night after a certain number of stays.  Also it seems that category changes have gone into effect before the May date that was announced.  For instance the Courtyard Marriott in Stoughton, MA is now 20,000 points instead of 10,000.  These changes make your program far less valuable to me.  I have limited funds and have been very loyal but I need to reconsider where I put my business if there is no reward for loyalty.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Changes to Program and MegaBonus Offers
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

call marriott rewards customer service and see if they can change your megabonus offer.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

FWIW, the MR points I received as the promo is only 40K, while it seems others are getting 50K. I earned the 50K in the fall promo, so not sure why its only 40K for em now. As to free nights, those certs seem to be good for cat 1-5, so not sure how much they are really worth with the recent to be increase in point requirements and re categorizations. JUst my view, not sure if others agree.

alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Hi Stelzer001. To make matters worse, I believe the certificates are only good through category 4. I could be wrong, but the nights I received last promo were only 1-4. Does a category 1 actually exist?

It must be like a tent, or maybe heated garage that you pull your car into so you can sleep in it and get a soda out of a machine or something. Where in the heck is a Category 1?

I know the new point thing will be rough. I am somewhat thinking it is because with the influx of elite members, the percentage on points going out is going to go up across the board, so I figure something had to be done about that in somebody's mind upstairs. I knew that the more elites there are, the more watered down the benefits would become. What a bummer.

Worse part is I am just taking it! Might as well hit me on the head with a stick, but I have so much time and points put into Marriott loyalty, that I am embarrased to say that I am taking this lying down. I am such a wimp these days. LOL!!

nanaglo45 Gold 3 Reviews

Even though I assume you were talking somewhat 'tongue in cheek' about Catergory 1 properties, I thought I'd name a couple I know specifically here in California.

They are all Fairfield Inn & Suites: Tulare (less than 1 year old), Kingsburg (2 years old), and Tehachapi. I have stayed at the first two and they were very nice (in Kingsburg I was upgraded to a suite). I suppose many Fairfield Inns are category 1's and if they are newer properties and well managed they can be quite satisfactory.

alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Hi Ms Nanaglo45,

I rarely get to hear that phrase anymore, so I thought I would check it:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Tongue-in-cheek is a phrase used as a figure of speech to imply that a statement or other production is humorously or otherwise not seriously intended and it should not be taken at face value. The facial expression typically indicates that one is joking or making a mental effort.[1] In the past, it may also have indicated contempt, but that is no longer common.[2] By 1842, the phrase had acquired its contemporary meaning similar to "take what I am saying with a grain of salt," indicating that a statement was not meant to be taken seriously.[3][4][5] Early users of the phrase include Sir Walter Scott in his 1828 The Fair Maid of Perth.

So to answer you, yes, I was talking tongue-in-cheek.

Actually, I totally forgot about the Fairfield Inns! My apology.

Where I live in the suburbs of Pittsburgh, PA, I cannot think of any properties I have experienced less then about 3-4 category. I forgot about Fairfield properties, and I am actually glad to hear that there are some (probably many more then I even imagined now that I really think about it) category 1 properties out there.

I hate spending so many points just for a night of lodging sometimes, when all I really need is a decent bed and shower, but I am so use to (between work travel and around where I live) forking out what I think is way too much money or points for things I do not really need when the circumstance arises. I like to have a few drinks sometimes, but refuse to drink and drive. Therefore, I often find myself getting a room when I go to the opera, a sporting event, or some other local venue, but it always seems to cost me so much simply from the parking cost on upwards.

It can be somewhat depressing sometimes, so I am very happy to hear that there are actually some category 1 properties out there. Problem for me is that they do not seem to exist within my little window.

I am glad to hear that being a cat. 1 does not indicate that is a "dump" either. To be honest, I have never stayed at a Farfield before, but since you have mentioned it, I am seriously going to look at that as a hopeful option when I travel at times. I intend on looking up what the properties offer, in general, and take it from there.

I do not mean of course to make "light", so-to-say, of the properties, and I appreciate you making me aware of them.

Just seems that everytime I log on to the Insiders, if even for a brief minute like tonite, I learn something! A very nice resource to have.

So thank you once again for enlightening me to the realistic option of category 1 properties. They do indeed exist!

-Al

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

There are 234 category 1 hotels.  This one is in Pennsavania

TownePlace Suites Philadelphia Horsham

TownePlace Suites
            Philadelphia Horsham

198 Precision Drive Horsham, PA 19044

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

Al: I appreciated you tounge in cheek response. I live just outside NYC (30 miles) and if you think cat 1's are tough where you are, well, most of the marriott properties (including Fairfield) are at least a 3, and sometime more like 4, or 5, with many of the Full serve properties in the 6, 7 and 8 category. I use my cert when we go to Upstate NY (around Buffalo) where even the Full Service Marriott's are a Cat 4. I don't stay at Fairfield's or Courtyard's too often as while they do have clean beds and good showers, they tend not to be in the places I go to for work, or there are alterntives, like a Full Marriott or Renaissance nearby for about the same cost, and no haircut on points or amenities.  So while I do appreciate the "lying down" comment, I do also relate with the original poster who laments the devaluation of the points and program as a whole. I only need stays this year to get to Plat for life, so 2014 may be a whole new ballgame, as with my corporate requirements, the other major chain we can use is Starwood, so I may try to do a status match a year from now, get the Am ex for Starwood and start again in a new hotel program and see how it treats me. I left Starwood back when it was known merely knowns as "Sheraton", when in 5 consec stays, they walked me from a Westin or Sheraton to a 4 points, and at that time, I was so upset, I gave up on them and came to Marriott (must be 10 or so years ago, at least). I also used to be a Diamond in Hyatt (back when corp travel allowed us to book there), but when Hyatt was taken off the approved list, I had to stop my stays, and have lived off the points since 1999 (and down to my last 80K in that program!).

So, fellow Marriott Rewards members, 2013 is my year and if things dont trend better in 2014, then you will have less competion for that upgrade.

Al: I hope you find those elusive hotels to use your cert at.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Cat 1 hotels do indeed exist.  I have stayed in FFI and TPS several times that were cat 1. 

vickisocal Platinum

stelzer001 wrote:

FWIW, the MR points I received as the promo is only 40K, while it seems others are getting 50K.

The are two point options in the spring

1) 25 K after 15 nights and another 15 K after five more nights for a net of:

a) 15N= 25K

b) 20N= 40K

2) 35K after 20 nights and another 15K after 5 more nights for a net of:

a) 20N= 35K

b) 25N= 50K

If you plan to stay 15 or 20 nights 1 is better, if you plan to stay 25 nights, 2 is better.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...