4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 19, 2013 3:14 PM by GemPrincess RSS

Are the Days of the Hotel Front Desk Numbered?

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Very interesting article in Bizjournal (link below) spectulating that the days of the traditional hotel front desk are numbered.

http://www.bizjournals.com/bizjournals/blog/seat2B/2010/09/hotels-increasingly-ditch-the-front-desks-with-emergence-of-younger-biz.html?ana=lnk

Instead, they apectulate it has been, or will be replaced by:

• Some deluxe hotels currently take guests directly to their rooms and perform checkin there.  One of the more interesting ones is Hayman Resorts, Great Barrier Reef, Australia where checkin is done on the yacht transfer over a glass of champaign.

http://www.hayman.com.au/the-hayman-experience/getting-here/

• Some have pedestals and customer-service agents (does CY qualify as this?)
  • some have roving "hosts" with portable computers (sort of like the Verizon store?)
  • Some have guests check themselves in with automated teller machines (the equivalent of the self checkout lane in stores?)

What do you think will happen?

Or what do you prefer?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Are the Days of the Hotel Front Desk Numbered?
    kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Very interesting indeed!  I'd prefer the in-room check-in or the pedestals with customer service agents.  At least with the in-room check-in, if you don't like your room, something can be done about it immediately.  The roving "hosts" would be too cumbersome in my opinion, as experience has proven at Apple, it can be difficult to get to a "host," much less have some sort of organized order when its busy!  As for the automated check-in... no thanks!  Hard enough to get an upgrade as is, will be impossible to get one with that method!  Plus, Marriott is built on excellent customer service.  I've had employees turn a make my stays even more memorable just because of the things they pick up during a normal conversation you might have with them during check-in or checkout. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

Online check in with room selection, etc, would be nice. Something along the lines of what Hilton has (or had, I don't know if they're still doing that).

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Perhaps the hotel industry will follow the rental Car industry---like Hertz.  As a GOLD Points memebr, I see my name on the screen and go to that parking spot number, and i drive off!  Never having come in contact with a CS person.  With the hotels, perhaps when we make a reservation, we show up at the lobby, see our name and room number and head straight to our assigned room?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...