12 Replies Latest reply: Feb 13, 2013 8:00 PM by GemPrincess Branched from an earlier discussion. RSS

Branching and merging conversations

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I find it interesting that the recent thread titled: "2013 Category Upgrades are a Major Devalue to the Whole Program" http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/12054, was locked "in lieu of merging duplicate conversations," and thus pointed to this thread.

While it's true that both threads are discussing similar aspects of the same topic, I find it interesting that of the two discussion threads, the discussion thread whose title had the most negative connotation towards Marriott was the one that was closed.  It seems a lot like damage control on the part of Marriott to me, and is disappointing.  Please keep the input coming regarding the fact that the 2013 category upgrades are a major devaluation to the Marriott Rewards program as a whole.

The addition of a ninth category which costs an extra 5,000 points/night, and then bumping the best hotels up to the next category was one thing.  It was a hard enough pill to swallow, and I might've just hissed and grumbled a bit, went ahead and swallowed it, crankily moved on, and kept trying to stay in the game and drink the koolaid...  But no... Marriott had to go and add insult to injury by not increasing the megabonus night award certificates to maintain parity, which amounts to being done dirty twice over.

We love you!

Nah, just kidding.

I'm still in shock.

Truly baffled. 

It reminds me of how it felt when across-the-board permanent pay cuts were executed in my work organization two years ago.

Really not.

A good feeling.

At all.

Time will tell how it will all shake out.  For Marriott.  For you.  For me.  I will be thinking on this and observing Marriott's behavior for quite a while to come.  In the meantime, I'll be working on spending down my Marriott investments in the most advantageous ways possible (before their value is further diminished), while thinking hard about whether or not to make future investments of loyalty into the Marriott brand.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Branching and merging conversations
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

What gets me here is the lack of response from Marriott on this and the FlyerTalk site. As always, not much will be said as they knew they were going to get this kind of response and are willing to wait it out and hope all forgets about it in a month or so, just like last time!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

I posted on their FB page. Crickets. They reply to almost all FB posts. Not mine.

I do have to disagree. I had sent a request to see if they could merge all of the similar threads. I believe there are quite a few started. I was told that ability did not exist, but that generally they close they other threads and refer to the first thread started. I think the tenor of the threads is a coincidence. I do wish we could limit the number of threads on same/similar topics as much as possible.

I don't like the devaluation does not come with ANYTHING: No increase in bonus points, no increase in free nights (like enhancing the stay 4 nights and 5th is free), nothing better in the breakfast or other benefits category. It was simply taking away from the program.

tker,

Community Manager does try to close/merge duplicate threads of all topics (as well as branch threads when appropriate) to keep the forum organized, it's true, and I appreciate you stating that you specifically requested Community Manager to consolidate similar threads pertinent to this topic.  Fair enough.  I just feel that the other thread, because of its title was more to the point and thus would get more (wanted by me, though I'm sure not wanted by Marriott) attention, and so I'm disappointed that it is locked.  But it's their sand box, so again, fair enough.

For GemP, when Community Manager does these things, we are notified (or at least those of us who are 'following' CM are notified.)

Jasper,

I agree with you.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

pluto77

I have gone through a list of threads by destination, and itemized them all.  There is a lot of duplication in the content of these threads.  As far as I know,

• none have been merged nor has merging been even been discussed as an option.
        • I also flagged a few for deletion, that had no meaningful content, and no participation - they are still there.

Thus far, what I have seen, and requested many of them, is branching so we could at least organize by topics.

I have seen the poll on free breakfast closed, as well as the category devaluation closed, with no MI discussion.

pluto77

Thanx for the heads up on the locked thread!

I did not even notice that which is very underhanded.

I can't help but think about how J. Willard, who cared so much about his customers and employees and had such a sense of fairness, would look at how Marriott Corporation is now treating its loyal customers of so many years!

He spent his entire life to build this wonderful company that stood apart from all the others, and now his successors are turning it into yet another b-school wonder of how to take every last dime, and deliver as little as possible.

It is truly a sad day for us all!

Again, I have to disagree. Deleting it would be underhanded. Closing and redirecting for consolidating is not. The actions to MR are underhanded. But, the actions on this board are not IMHO.

tker

If all duplicate threads were handled this way, I would agree with you that it is a standard procedure that is consistently applied.

Since it has only been applied to this particular thread, and not any of the many repetitious destination threads is clear evidence it is underhanded.  I did not notice it cause I did not try to post to it.  Luckily pluto77 is keeping us appraised of the situation.

Thus far, none of the threads have been deleted that I have noticed.

I understand where you are coming from. I specifically made a request to merge them at if possible. Community Mgr responded:

that's a great question and observation - thanks! Unfortunately I can't combine threads but what I typically do in these situations is link the redundant threads over to a single thread and close the others. That way the content is still available, but to your point, streamline the conversation.

I'll go through that this afternoon =)

That's why I am a little sensitive. They were working with me. And now they look bad.

The Marriott staff who manage this forum are extremely professional as well as kind, and certainly individuals of high integrity.  Nothing against them.  I just didn't like it that the other discussion, whose title was more to the point (imho), was locked.  There's more to be said and heard on this topic of program devaluation (which is not in this discussion title, though one could admittedly argue an implication), and I do hope that the conversation will continue here, but like Jasper said, the heat will likely die down (as I'm sure Marriott would like) and all will be forgotten in a month or so.

pluto77

Well said!

and I couldn't agree with you more!

Everyone is very professional, and with so many messages flying, its easy to be inconsistent, but I do need to call it as I see it, that we are being inconsistent on duplicaiton of threads and topics.

Also, your point about the short term ruckus over the changes dying down is also spot on.

Unfortunately, I think changes like this are made, not just by Marriott, but many large corporations, figuring customers have no other choices so all they can do is scream and eventually knuckle under and take it, which is like rubbing salt into the wound.

Its all very disillusioning!

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

thanks for clarifying tker, we try to balance consolidating threads and branching conversations as there are advantages to both, so neither happens all the time. But in all cases, your content is in tact.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...