6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 13, 2013 8:23 PM by aaronplatinum4life RSS

Grosvenor House JW  Vs.  County Hall

allijeee Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hi All!

We just added a VERY QUICK trip to London, as part of a larger trip, only two nights.  We want to make the most of our limited time, so location of our hotel is important, as is aesthetics.  What do you London experts think?  Grosvenor House JW  OR County Hall???

Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, England
  • Re: Grosvenor House JW  Vs.  County Hall
    sinisap Platinum 2 Reviews

I've stayed at the grovenor house JW.  It is pretty awesome.  Location is good, only few blocks away from all the action.  Rooms are pretty amazing and huge.  Great concierge service with breakfast service, afternoon snacks, dinner and deserts.  Never been to the county hall location, but this one i would recommend every time.  And now they are raising the tier to 9 so might as well take advantage while it's still "cheap".

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

I have stayed many times at each of these Marriott's. The Grosvenor House is closer to Heathrow airport (so if you take the Paddington Express, then a taxi, it's really cost effective). It is really close to some of the shopping (Knightsbridge & Bond Street), but it is far from the Theater (West End), Covent Garden, etc. It has a really nice Exec Lounge and there are several good restaurants nearby. It is a nice residential area and is across a very busy road from a very large Park. It is also close to Buckingman Palace. The nearest Tube is Marble Arch.

The County Hall is more in central London and is situated right on the Thames across the river from Big Ben and Parliment and the London eye is right in front of the hotel (and many rooms look out onto this view). You can see St Pauls, the entire London City Area, and the like. The Exec Lounge is smallish, but serviceable. Out the back door of the hotel are several restaurants (but be warned, there are signs that say Marriott Guests should not use this rear entry as a thruway). County Hall is close to The Strand, Charing Cross, Covent Garden, the West End and Regent Street for shopping. It sits mid way between two tube stations - Westminster and Waterloo. Look at the Transport for London Tube Map (available on the web) and that will give you a good idea. It is further from Heathrow, but closer to London City Airport than Grosvenor House.

I use the County Hall when I am there for business as it is less than one mile from my office and close the the "City" financial district and is a short tube ride to Canary Wharf.

I use the Grovesnor House more on holiday. It gets allot of Middle Eastern visitors, as it is close to the more ethnic Middle Eastern area of the London town area. It is a bit far from some shopping and the Theater.

If you want to get around allot, get an Oyster Card, available at any Tube station. Its good for the Tube and Bus system

I go to London for work about 5-6 times/year, and have been doing this for almost 15 years, and have stayed at almost every fullservice Marriott (including some that no longer exist) in that time, so I can recommend either of these as good choices, but all it really boils down to is what you want to do, and how close you need to be, if at all, to a particular venue.

I hope this helps.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

stelzer001,

Good information!

Having stayed at both, it is really about what location serves you best.  Having walked from one to the other, both are very nice.  A lot would depend on "Cost or points".

You can't go wrong with either property, it is just I prefer County Hall due to the staff's wonderful support!

toader Platinum 2 Reviews

I've stayed at County Hall, but not Grosvernor House, so cannot add value on that property.  The County Hall stay was with my wife for a short weekend and we have a corner room overlooking the Thames and London Eye.  Although they have done some nice things making a formal municipal building work as a hotel, getting to our room was a serious of strange turns through a maze.  The lounge is a bit limited compared to other top category Marriott properties.  The location is great if your business is in that part of town.  I do prefer the Renaissance St. Pancras for the eclectic feel, but you may be stuck with a small room.

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

I recently was at County Hall and if you are looking for a central spot to see the "standard" touristy areas its definitely the place to be.  Getting there is a little more sorted though as you have to make a few connections along the way.  If that's not as important to you but being on the river, at the heart of the tourist area is go there.

I had an amazing experience there and quite honestly it made it very easy to leisurely explore the city.  The circle and district lines are a block away, you can literally get anywhere in the tube system pretty easily.  You are a block away from Big Ben, Parliament and Westminster.  The London Eye is literally at the hotel, the river walk is on both sides of the river there, you are minutes away from Tower of London via the tube or a very nice walk down the river walk to it.  10-15mins from places like  Harrods, Piccadilly Circus, Kensington, Buckingham Palace, Hyde Park, etc.

They do have some pretty cool rooms, this was my view from the suite I got upgraded to when I was there IMAG0673.jpg

And one from across the river looking back at the hotel and the eye.

IMAG0754.jpg

aaronplatinum4life Platinum 28 Reviews

If you are a gym rat, County Hall has a great Health Club and pool...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...