12 Replies Latest reply: Mar 24, 2013 4:42 AM by chrispark RSS

How does one achieve Platinum Premier Status?

bmb Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I am new to the insiders site and have seen many people reference a Platinum Premier Status and have found myself wondering how one achieves it? Is it similar to the Lifetime status requirements or is it based on consecutive year at Platinum Status?  I have not been able to find anything in writing regarding the requirement.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: How does one achieve Platinum Premier Status?
    fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

75 stays per year = Platinum status

Fred

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

Platinum Premier is "awarded" based on your activity relative to all other Platinums; it's restricted to the "top 3%" of Plats, give or take. The specific achievement criteria are unpublished and subject to change year to year. It's not a pure nights calculation, or so we suspect. Many of us have had 175 nights or more and not made it, while others are granted that status with as few as 100 or so.

Marriott giveth, and Marriott taketh away using their own formula, but not to worry, there's not much distinguishing a Platinum from a PP as far as benefits or anything.

mi97tbird Platinum 33 Reviews

IIt's based on total nights stayed over the 75 required get platinum. I know I have achieved platinum premiere and it really doesn't mean anything more then platinum elite. I have over 12 stays this year and have no upgrades to speak of. I still have not received anything from Marriott

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

My husband hasn't received anything, either.  I was just looking to see if anyone else had commented on that.  It might even be in the mail today, but I guess they have until the end of March.  I guess if one hasn't heard anything, it's to check for accuracy in determining the status for last year's stays.  I don't really know, though.  At least the acct. online says PP, and as jk so accurately explained everything, the perks are almost identical.  I can still hardly wait to see what the extra gift is, though.    

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I'm guessing you've gotten your card for 2013 by now.  We finally got ours (my husband did really) while we were gone for a week the first week of March, so it was after March 1.

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Contrary to some other comments, I have found good benefits of maintaining Platinum Elite status - frequent room upgrades, free breakfasts for my wife and I both, added points gifts, etc. Not sure Marriott awards Lifetime Platinum status anymore.

Fred

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

The OP's query was about Platinum Premier, not Platinum; as I noted, there is no substantive difference between the two even though they are separate levels. The Lifetime Platinum program is still there, and has had the criteria lowered twice in the last two years (currently at 750 nights/2 million points accrued).

The putative pecking order for determining any upgrades, availability, and similar "who bumps whom" immediate benefits is: Platinum Premier, Platinum, Lifetime Platinum (though it can be argued that the latter two are functionally identical in that respect). However, the specific program benefits such as points bonuses are identical for all Platinum levels.

chrispark Platinum

Platinum Premier is supposed to
    be top 3% of Platinum members.

If you stay at JW Marriott or
    Full Service Marriott you have better possibility to be upgraded to Suite
    rooms.

However, many of staff members do
    not know the differences between PP and P.

A funny thing is some of hotels
    they try not to give anything until you ask them.

This means, a demanding Gold
    member can get a nicer room than Platinum.

It is not supposed to be this way
    but the reality is.....

At JW Marriott Executive Lounge
    staff members handle this issue much professionally.

In general, there are not many
    differences between Gold and Platinum in the North America.

But if you travel internationally
    and stay at nice (expensive) JW Marriott, Full Service Marriott they will treat
    you well.

Now, for the room upgrades.

If you use a discount rate being
    PP should be helpful.

If you pay close to Best
    Available Rate you should be able to get the upgrades to Suite.

The trick is that the room
    upgrade is depending on availability.

And some customers who are well
    known to hotel staffs can get upgrades prior than higher level status.

Hope this helps.

Chris

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

Just know that an "upgrade" does not necessarily define a suite; an upgrade can be as simple as a view of the pool versus the parking lot.

chrispark Platinum

You are right pingreenman,

According to my personal travel experiences of 15 years as Platinum or Diamond with Marriott/Ohter Hotel Chains

Marriott does give upgrades quite well when upgrades are available.

This means Room controller at Marriott will try to give us a Executive Lounge room or a better room.

For the room with a better view I have not encountered any single issue. Maybe I was lucky.

Chris

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...