13 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2014 8:31 AM by iahflyr RSS

Lights On, Nobody Home

ptomczik Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I'm curious what people think about hotels leaving lights on in the rooms all day.  To me it seems extremely wasteful to turn on my lights just so I am spared from the awful task of having to flip a light switch when I walk in the door.  It also seems hypocritical to have signs in the room asking you to reuse towels to save energy.  Why is one ok but not the other?  I stayed at the Cosmo in Vegas last weekend (nice place), they even turn the TV on to a music channel to set the mood.  If most European hotels can handle requiring entering a room key to turn on lights, I would think people can handle entering a dark room.  Am I alone in this?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Lights On, Nobody Home
    toader Platinum 2 Reviews

You're not alone.  Standard turn-down service for concierge level/elites is 1) turn down bed, 2) refresh towels, 3) turn on TV, 4) turn on select lights, 5) close black-out drapes, and 6) leave mints/chocolates on pillow (on top of breakfast menu).  And yes, I too am bugged at the "be green, re-use your towel" hypocrisy.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

ptomczik,

Agree!

I may be "Dumb", but I can turn on a light switch!

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

I try to treat the Hotel as if I was in my own home, notwithstanding the fact that it is, of course, not home. I shut off lights when I am not in the room, hang up towels for re use (no I don't make the bed, leave that to the maid), open the blinds to let in light, etc. As to turndown, if that is what the hotel chooses to do, I cannot override or stop them, but I do find that to be wasteful. I agree with others about the European hotel comment, I have no issue in putting my room key into the magic slot to get the lights on, and in the USA, I am not yet too feeble whereby I cannot turn on a light switch! Just one frequent travelers opinion and others are free to disagree.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I completely agree, every hotel I can remember staying at in Europe if you take the key out of the little power slot the entire room goes dark.  In my opinion it proves yet again the U.S. doesn't much care to be innovative as others around the globe.

cheil Platinum 13 Reviews

I sent an email to corporate Marriott last year after I stayed at a couple places in Thailand that had something similar with their key slots. Almost less than a year later, what do I see at Residence Inn Tustin Orange County?!? The key slot that will power the room! I doubt I'm the once that influenced them, but I'd like to think I did. Yay for Americans changing.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I believe it was you who influenced them, somebody has to take the credit!

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Personally, I don't care if the lights are left on or off...but I don't re-use the towel.  And that's exactly like I do it at home. 

bcalman Platinum 7 Reviews

I stayed at a Sheraton and they gave me a $10 restaurant voucher for every day I skipped housekeeping (you couldn't skip more than 3 days)! I like that - I don't need a housekeeper to come in every day. I make my bed, pick up my towels and hang them up and generally don't eat in my room. I may be a cynic but I believe the "go green" is more about marketing and economics than it is really about the hotel truly becoming "green". If you save money because of my actions, perhaps you should share with me. Seems fair.

(and I do like the European slot by the door for the lights - it also ensures that I don't leave my key in the room)

That's awesome! The Marriott in ATL Norcross did the exact same thing. I loved it because I could use it at the restaurant downstairs. I looked into it though, not all Marriotts do the same thing because they're owned by different people. What a shame

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Lights go off when I leave the room. I will use only as many towels as I need and reuse when I can. I'm starting to notice bins for recycling in some rooms (mostly outside the U.S.), but I it would be nice if it were the norm. I reduce, reuse, and recycle as much as possible when at home. Why would I do any less when I'm traveling?

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I'm getting used to the card slot by the door for the lights. I'm all for saving energy. I think hotels should have solar panels on the roof.

Solar panels for sure! So many other countries are already doing that too. I've also seen some houses put gardens on top of theirs, which would be great if you have a green thumb and want fresh ingredients.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

I also find it interesting that the drapes are opened every day - especially on a South-facing room in the summer (why let in all the heat and have the HVAC work so hard?) or North-facing room in the winter (why eliminate the "insulation" provided by the drapes just to let the cold window chill the room?). With the light switch, I don't need the drapes open (which I close in the first 30 second upon entering the room, anyway).

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...