1 2 3 11 Previous Next 159 Replies Latest reply: May 18, 2013 12:40 AM by kharada46 RSS

Ohana by Hawaiian

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Just an FYI, for those that plan to travel to Hawaii and are thinking of visiting the islands of Lanai and Molokai, you now have a 3rd option to get there.  The two current airlines flying to Lanai and Molokai are Island Air and go! Mokulele.  Island Air currently flies Bombardier Dash-8s, but is transitioning to a flee of ATR-72s and ATR-42s beginning this year.  go! Mokulele, on the other band, flies Cessna Grand Caravans.  Beginning this summer, however, Hawaiian will begin service to Lanai and Molokai using ATR-42s.

Ohana by Hawaiian - Hawaiian Airlines

Sorry, Lanai has no Marriott properties, and Molokai has no real hotels either! 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Lahaina, Hawaii, USA
  • 1. Re: Ohana by Hawaiian
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I see Island Air is pulling their flights to Kapalua (JHM)soon in favor of Kahului (OGG).  Any idea why other than the DH8B can operate without weight restrictions and the ATR would be weight restricted from the short runnway?  I never flew Island Air to JHM as we always use Hawaiian Airlines to OGG, but I have a golf pal who uses them twice a year for their timeshare at the Westin.  Oh, I'm going to ruin his golf game tomorrow when I tell him this news!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 2. Re: Ohana by Hawaiian

You know, as an aviation enthusiast, I'm ashamed to say I don't know

I should look into this.  From what I understand, though, some economic excuse was given as the reason for the move in addition to the restriction.  I've never flown on Island Air either, as I usually fly Hawaiian, and in the past, Aloha.  I've also experienced Mahalo & Discover Air, but those airlines had extremely short lives. 

No matter Island Air's reason for pulling out of JHM, I think it's foolish.  It's foolish of them to compete head-to-head with Hawaiian Air.  If someone staying in Kapalua had to choose between an ATR 72 and a Boeing 717 to Kahului, I'm pretty sure most will choose Hawaiian's jets.  Not to mention Hawaiian's frequency, better interlining, etc. 

What ever you do, though, don't fly go! 

• 3. Re: Ohana by Hawaiian

Flying Go is something I won't do.......but the B712's of Hawaiian I will fly for ever on the 20 minute flights in the islands.

Let's see, prop or jet....you are kidding me!

• 4. Re: Ohana by Hawaiian

Agreed!  Though, I've been wondering what they'll do once the 712's near retirement age... CSeries, ERJ, MRJ...?? 

The only way I'd fly a prop is to Lanai/Molokai.  I'd love to stay at one of the Four Seasons on Lanai one day... when I can afford it

• 5. Re: Ohana by Hawaiian

A friend played golf at the Four Seasons when they were on Maui, he still raves about it so it's gotta be on the bucket list!!

Their 712's are by airplane standards pretty new regardless of the salt lifestyle and number of cycles, should go quite a while longer.  After they go away, it might be the next episode of the "Jetsons".

• 6. Re: Ohana by Hawaiian

Good to know!

Haha, that's true!  By the way, yesterday I stumbled upon a bit of news that stated WN is acquiring a former AQ 737 with ETOPS.  I don't remember the reg. #, but apparently it's been in service with AB since AQ went under.  I'll pass on the link if I can find it again...

• 7. Re: Ohana by Hawaiian

I don't know if Southwest is even ETOP certified as a company.

• 8. Re: Ohana by Hawaiian

True, but I imagine they will get certification in the future.  I'm sure Hawaii is in their future

• 9. Re: Ohana by Hawaiian

While I don't see Southwest in the Hawaii market you'd have a much greater feel for that being from the islands.  As their fleet doesn't have the legs to fly from much more than the west coast anyone coming from the middle or east coast of the country will be making at least one stop.  Even though Southwest history turns flights fast and has tiny connection windows I'd rather take a non-stop, I'm not fan of putting an airplane back on the ground as more tends to crop up do further delay the flight.

Also, not sure they are ready to tackle the cost of ETOPS after they've recently plunked down quite a bit of $$ to upgrade and get RNP certification during the last three years or so.  ETOP certification is not cheap so you better have a good way to recover those costs.

Anyway, just some random early morning thoughts.

• 10. Re: Ohana by Hawaiian

Good point.  I doubt an entry into the Hawaii market will happen in the near future.  I do think it's likely to happen within the next decade though.  Especially given the fact that they haven't partnered with anyone to provide flights to Hawaii like B6 has with HA.  But time will tell... It would be nice to have Soutwest enter our market and provide competition to the legacies, thus giving more people the ability to visit the islands. 

• 11. Re: Ohana by Hawaiian

Any competition to the likes of AA/US/UA/DL would be excellent however; I've been told that Southwest's fares are higher than others at times.  I can't confirm that as I don't fly them (yet) living north of Houston, Hobby is too far and those advertised low fares apply to maybe two seats on a flight. 

• 12. Re: Ohana by Hawaiian

I have absolutely no experience with LCCs, so I wouldn't know either, though I must say, I think I'd prefer to see Virgin or JetBlue come to Hawaii over Southwest... Probably an even more unlikely than Southwest coming, but ah. 

On another note, I'm interested to see what exactly HA has in store for its A321neo's and A350s.  This morning they announced an HNL-PEK route, as well as the discontinuation of the HNL-MNL route. 

• 13. Re: Ohana by Hawaiian

I saw the HNL-PEK route this morning, just wish HA would come to IAH and fly to OGG or HNL.  I might as well dream big because it costs nothing!

Just don't wish for Spirit which is truly the king of LCC now as far as add on fees and such, pretty soon someone will have coin operated lavs.

• 14. Re: Ohana by Hawaiian

You know, anything is possible with them.  For a long time, they said they'd never enter Japan.  Now they're flying out of HND, CTS, ***, KIX, and soon SDJ.  Crazy!  And with a 17 wide bodies on firm order with 16 neo's on firm order with options for more of each, it'll be interesting to see how the airline expands and evolves over the next decade.  I just hope they aren't being too ambitious... I do know they desire to build HNL into a major hub connecting points in Asia with points throughout the mainland US and even Europe. 

I've heard about Spirit and I'd never fly them!  Them and Ryan Air!  No way! 

1 2 3 11 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...