49 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2014 2:00 PM by californian RSS

Antarctica

californian Platinum 37 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Antarctica exceeded my expectations.  It is so beautiful and abundant with animals.  The interesting thing is that the animals are not afraid of us.  I have been to Alaska, The Canadian Rockies and Scandinavia and to me, this exceeds all of them.

It is not for everyone which is why tourism is only at about 40,000 per year.  That number is growing.  To get there, one must sail over the Drake Passage which is the roughest body of water in the world.  My sailings were rough in each direction but it can be smooth or even rougher.  It takes from 1 ½ to 2 ½ days of travel in each direction.  Many got seasick.  I did not.  I chose a ship with the best stabilizers to help.

I was on an expedition which means that they are looking for wildlife and live in the now.  When they see whales, they stop the ship as opposed to trying to maintain a schedule. We were given a tentative schedule each evening for the next day and all over it said weather permitting.  In the 5 days that I was in Antarctica, we made 9 landings, 2 Zodiac rides and 1 landing on a huge piece of floating ice.  We were taken in Zodiacs to the land and had to get out in water and walk the last few feet.  We needed to have boots to do this.

The evening before we arrived, the captain told us that he would wake us for whales and he did the following morning at 4am.  I did not get up to see them and got another at 6am for killer whales.  That got me up and had to get dressed and I did see them.  To me this was exciting.  We saw killer whales 4 times which is exceptional.  I was delighted.

Our first landing was coming soon.  The weather was sunny and not too cold and there were a whole lot of penguins.  We were told to stay around 15 feet from then unless they come to us.  To get them to come to you, you need to sit down or lay down and they will do that.  I didn’t do that so they came close but not up to me.  There were penguins at all the landings.  After a while, I concentrated on watching the behavior.  They had chicks and some still had eggs that when hatched would not make it because it was too late in the season.

While on the Zodiac, we saw humpback whales and ice formations.  The icebergs were really beautiful.  One could make an art collection of
them.  They had a bluish white color.

At this, I will post some pictures and will answer questions.

alrenaissance

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Antarctica
  • Re: Antarctica

20130201_082724(0).jpg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

20130201_113933.jpg

IMG_6234.JPG

IMG_6247.JPG

IMG_1646.JPG

IMG_6483_2.JPG

IMG_6856.JPG

IMG_7672.JPG

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

Californian,

The only word that comes to mind is: Awesome.  Thanks for the report and pictures.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

gm!,

Agree so much with you!

Never had any desire to go, but this looks very interesting!

Thank-you Californian!

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Cal,

Every one of those pictures made me feel warm and happy just to see them.  I told you I had faith in you.  You really should enter some.    (Thunder just clapped outside.  It had to have been close.)  Good time to see pictures like this. 

Thanks for the compliment Eb.  I may look into a contest.  I have never thought about it.  Somehow, I thought they look for really difficult shots not just nice pictures.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Cali,

The advise I have on getting travel writing or photography published, is that its easiest if you are unusual travel destination that are less frequented.

I suspect the same holds true for contests.

There is less competition for the type of shot you are submitting.

Thanks. Gem.

erc  Thanks for bring me back to this reminder of my trip.  I really did have a good time.  I, too, really don't like cold so that is saying something about how wonderful I found Antarctica.

How close were you when you took this picture, and is this why you say the animals are not afraid of us?

Or are you using a long range lense?

I am not sure.  Many pictures were taken with a normal and some were taken with a telephoto.  I was within 6 feet on many penguins and I know not to get to close to seals so stayed maybe 20 feet from them.

The animals don't run from us.  If I was in their way, they would just walk around me like they would go around any a box.  If I am walking toward them, they continue doing whatever they were.  We would stay a distance because we are told to do so.

Cali,

Really great pictures - especially the animals!

Are you working undercover for National Geographic???

GemP,

I am glad that you enjoyed the pictures.  I hope that you do get a chance to go if that is what you want.

Latin America is my #1 interest - especially the ABC (Argentina, Brasil, Chile).

Antartica is my #2 and will be my 7th and last continent.

This is why I think a preliminary LA trip will be helpful, and then I can focus in on Antartica.

With everything new, its hard to focus on anyone thing

I think you did it right by going to SA 1st.

kellyc Platinum 1 Reviews

I always wanted to go Antartica.  what is your recommendation on how to even start to plan this adventure? 

I spent months researching the trip and pricing.  The best months to go are December, January and early February.  The penguins mate in Nov and the ice is just breaking up then.  That was too early for me and the penguins and chicks sometime in February.

It is important to pick the right ship.  Some are really small and the max is what I was on that carried 200 of us and crew.

I found that the price was within a ballpark for all of them.  They are all expensive.

I wanted comfort and safety and choose the larger which I was told is the safest and has the best stabilizers.  Some of the small boats actually use duck tape to keep you in your bed for the rough part of the crossing.  I was on the ship for 10 nights and found it to be comfortable.

The advantage of the smaller is more shore time.  Only 100 people can be on land at one spot at a time.  We had to go in shifts and so only had half of the time.  For me, that was enough.  You cannot take any food or urinate on the land while there.  The maximum time I was on land was 2 1/4 hours.

I was very pleased with the expedition team that instructed us for our safety and took care of us.

I will answer any more questions that you have.IMG_6300.jpg

californian,

Great report!

Pictures are superb.

If I go, I'll take my "Duck tape", and "Special bottle", I use to travel with as a kid!

Thanks Jerry.  I hope that you and the other MIs who are interested get a chance to go even if there is no FFI.

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

But where is the pic of the Fairfield Antarctica??

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Californian,

Thank you for the amazing pictures and report!  That must have been a great experience!  Add that to my list of things to do...  

Thanks.  It was a once in a lifetime great experience.  Most people there were experienced travelers.  They asked for a show of hands on how many will be on the 7th continent and about 75% were in that category.  Some just looking for that World Status and some just wanted to see it.  It is worth seeing for those who really want to since it is not an easy place to get to.

Wow... I've only been to 3 continents including the U.S.!  I have a lot of catching up to do!   

But I would have to agree.  I think it would be worth the difficulty due to the uniqueness and untamed beauty of Antarctica. 

kh,

So well put!

thanks Jerry! 

20130201_172733.jpgAnother picture of what I experienced.

beautiful! 

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I've been a lot of places and need to add this to my "bucket list". Now that Marriott has substantially increased their point program (a major devaluation), no need to worry about that for this trip.

californian

Really outstanding pictures and trip report!

Its at the top of my bucket list, as I have done 5 of 7 continents, and only have 2 more to go, South America and Antartica, and hopefully I can combine them as its one heck of a long flite.

I had done South America many years ago and spent a little time in Buenos Aires pre cruise since it would not have been good to chance not making it for my cruise.  For me, I was so focused on Antarctica that I didn't focus that much on BA.  Some people on my tour did SA first and went on the cruise after.  One could do the reverse too.  Keep us updated when you do go.

I am watching the airfare sales.

If anything goes on sale I might do a long weekend to scout things out.

Gut feel is that I will probably do a 2-3w SA cruise when a good cruise deal comes along- and see how best to fit in Antartica.

This sounds like a good plan.  Keep in mind that the trip to Antarctica is demanding and it would be good to be rested before you get there.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Californian,

Just amazing, beautiful, magnificent.  So glad for you, and thank you for posting the fantastic photos and information.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

californian,

Such beautiful pictures.  You are in such an amazing place, and one I know I will never get to.  Thanks for letting us see some of this through your eyes and pictures.  Keep them coming!

Thanks Try,

It was a really great trip and I am lucky to have been able to go there.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I just got an e-mail with a url to what I presume are the pelicans in Antarctica, but maybe elsewhere.  I think they're the Imperial penguins and I don't know the home of any species.

A sight that few will ever see in person.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Not sure how I missed this, cali.....excellent report and many thanks for the outstanding pictures. If I can swing a trip in the next few years, I'll have all 7.

I hope that you can go since it was more that I expected.  Be aware that a lot can go wrong weather wise and such.  About 75% were there to get that last continent and have the world traveler status.  I was one.  This is where one goes after they have seen the rest.

I posted about the ship I choose and why as well as the time to go there.  When you are ready, I would be willing to help you.  Just let me know.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Thanks Cali.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...