3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 10, 2013 10:54 PM by alrenaissance RSS

Taste of Gold- Please help

aa_travel Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Hello Everyone. I am hoping someone can provide me with some insight as to whether or not there are any options available.

Last spring, without request, I was sent a gold card. It was only valid for only 3 months. I did not pay much attention to the promotion or why I received the card because due to my work schedule I was not able to make any travel plans.

Apparently, this was the "Taste of Gold" challenge. I found this out because my travel is now increasing greatly for work and I was searching for a way to reach the next status level faster when I came across the "taste of Gold" challenge. When I contacted customer service to request the "Taste of Gold" challenge, they told me I was not eligible because I was previously enrolled in the challenge back in the spring.

Has anyone else had an issue with being automatically enrolled in challenges? I find it more than a little annoying that I cannot participate now because they sent me the challenge previously when I did not request it nor was I able to participate then.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Taste of Gold- Please help
    richard37075 Platinum

I was told by a very knowledgeable MR customer service person last year that you are only eligible for "challenges" once a year.  I would ask them what your previous dates were, and confirm when you are eligible for your next "taste".  Also, you might be eligible now for a "taste of platinum" since you did gold previously.  It would require more nights in the same 3 month period, but would certainly yield greater benefits.  Also, make you sure don't sign up for a taste on the first of the month, then you will just have 3 months to complete.  If you sign up towards the middle of a month, you will have the rest of the 1st month, and then the next 3 months to complete.  I would certainly confirm that these rules are still valid, as I got this info last year.

Good luck

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

Your problem was reported by another traveler on Flyertalk. Same situation. The MR member thought they had been comped Gold for a 3 month period. Honestly, I don't know if it was not reading the material sent or if it was poorly presented. IN ANY EVENT, like you, they are now traveling a great deal for work and attempted to do a challenge. They were refused due to last year. They ultimately successfully pled their case to a supervisor. They had multiple reservations booked etc. YMMV. I am just reporting a similar situation. I find Marriott to be very reasonable. Tell them you did not enroll. Your entire situation in a calm way. And finally-ask for their help. People like to help people. They will if they can. GOOD LUCK!

alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Unfortunately Richard is right in that you can only do the challenge, one way or the other, once annually.

This happened to a coworker in my former job position, and they usually try to solicite people who have stayed in the past, but have remained dormant for some period of time to "excite" them into remembering the Marriott brand. Other hotel chains do it as well.

Unfortunately, you can supposedly be put on a list which will prevent this sort of activity, as I know it can certainly be untimely if you can do it at a future time when you may have more travel, and more easily fullfill the challenge, but the cross-information between different marketing and targeting programs will never really adequately prevent this occurence as the profiling is much too spread. In fact, getting on a "do not..." list may prevent you from getting some offers that you actually may want in the future, and then once again you are stuck with trying to repair the damage.

Oddly enough, and I have talked to the powers that be about this, mosst people (including me) were actually awarded their lifetime memberships after a vast period of inactivity. As an example, read about the people who have met certain qualifications under the new "Lifetime Elite whatever..." threads which are currently circulating in the forum here.  You will see that most people were never actually given lifetime status in whatever level they actually were currently in until after they had some time hiatus from Marriott. I see it as Marriott trying to push a year worth of stays out of somebody every year to retain their current status, and giving it an expiration date as a reminder that you had better keep on staying.

People who had more stays then I and who were still actively staying at Marriott properties were not given Platinum Elite Lifetime like me. This is based on some silly marketing Gambit which essentially said that why should they make somebody lifetime if they are currently doing enough stays a year to actually earn the level, as it may prevent them from doing certain bookings if they found something more convenient or less expensive, as they knew they could still reach level already based on their Lifetime status.

I know the "whys" are somewhat stupid and cheesy, yet I am sure that almost without exception, people are eventually actually finally given what they want after the fact,;

"STAY AWAY FROM MARRIOTT FOR A WHILE IF YOU WANT TO BE AWARDED LIFETIME STATUS, OR YOU WILL CONTINAULLY BE GIVEN STATUS WITYH EXPIRATION DATES"

I do not know what else to tell you about your situation, except that I hope you finally get what you are hoping to get from Marriott in these regards.

Things may certainly change based on an actual formal list of what is required to achieve certain things. For the longest time it was somewhat known what the requirments were, but they were actually more often not somewhat flexible in their validity.

Hope this is not too confusing, at least the way I presented it. Marketing and promotion schemes, especially for Marriott (but also with many others such as Hilton) are somewhat unatural and backwards in the way it is done.

Have a nice week

-Al

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...