14 Replies Latest reply: Feb 11, 2013 2:45 PM by mrrich Branched from an earlier discussion. RSS

What are the consequences of Lifetime status?

blava007 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Folks,

I think we are addressing and are focused on the wrong question; the real Question that we MRI members need/should to be asking “What are the consequences” and not “Is this new Lifetime content understandable?”   

This new program is in a sense an oxymoron, it is not addressing the real MRI issues and concerns. 

On one hand, the overall MR benefits are declining, the value of the points are significantly depreciating from year to year, benefits are being cut, eliminated and watered down.

Now, a program that will add reasons to potentially water down the MR benefits even further!   I do like to see that members can achieve their LP levels easier, but it should not be at the expense of lowering benefits to all the MR members as is taking place NOW.  Also, Newhiltonmembr was making a very good point, highlighting the LP requirements and changes over the past years, it should not be too difficult to see the paradox, decrease overall MR benefits and increase members hype and anticipations.        

Michelle and MRI readers, am I wrong to be concerned?   

Also the board discussions re: PP and associated non-existing benefits, it feel like the “Secret Double Probation” in the movie; Animal House ! 

Thank you,

MR member since 1984

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What are the consequences of Lifetime status?
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

NO you are right..another dilution of Platinum status..those of us who earned this benefit at the much higher levels are being disregarded..what a shame!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Blava and Jasper,

You are absolutely correct.

And, with more LTers, we have much less chance of even an upgrade!

michellel2 , what is Marriott's reasoning for lowering LT requirements, please?

i believe Marriott is just interested in generating more revenues by lowering the standards and don't care about the effect on those that worked very hard to achieve the status. I expect they will continue to lower the standards even more as they are not that interested in rewarding their most loyal customers.

floridatravels Platinum 9 Reviews

i understand your conerns Jasper but reality is now. Marriott has certainly studied all of these changes and are doing what is best for sustainabilty of loyal customers.  I am over 14 years Elite member and will be PL come 2013. i could choose to stop staying at Marriott properties but i love their hotels. And i want to continue earning points and since i have developed a great relationship with the staff at many of the properties i frequent i will choose Marriott most everytime. I like the fact they recognize my loyality and I will continue that loyality.

No program or stay is perfect everytime- the fact they offer this site to voice our opinion on their website is an example of how customer focused they are.

Enjoy 2013 and Happy travels.

thekow Platinum 9 Reviews

Because the points requirement remains unchanged, this isn't going to lead to that many new members. Those who are members for less than 12 years and already have the required points are among the most aggressive earners, but are relatively rare... it would be surprising if this will add any more than 20% to the ranks of Lifetime Elites, and Lifetime Elites themselves aren't that common. When one is staying at the same property as you, remember that they'll only have an impact if they wouldn't have otherwise been the same level elite as their current status anyway. I'm a good example. I'm a Platinum, have been for a while, and will be for years. This change jumps me to LT Gold immediately, but it's unlikely to kick in before I would have earned LT Platinum via the old standards anyway. In other words, I'm earning it early and getting peace of mind, but not having an impact on other members. Remember - Marriott wants to reward people who contribute a lot of high-margin revenue (profits) to the company. When the company is more profitable, it leads to more perks and expansion (availability) for all. It's not rational to look at just one side of the equation and assume benefits will be diluted without considering that the result of additional business can be more than offsetting gains.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

thekow

of course there will be additional revenues....  why else would Marriott execute the plan????  I do disagree that additional revenue, thus more profit, gives Marriott the impetus to expand the benefits.  On the contrary, I believe the benefits are enhanced when business is the most difficult and they are used to grab market-share in a dwindling population of potential clients...

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

The points requirement has changed for LT Plat, you need 1 million less points to achieve LT Plat. And 250 less nights.

This upcoming change grants you LT Gold, congratulations.  That means you have traveled 4 nights per week for less than 3 years if working 48 weeks per year (assuming that you take 4 weeks vacation/time off per year.). I obviously don't know what your LTD points earned are, so that does come into play also.  But, if staying in the higher-end properties, the points can be easily earned.

What are you basing your statistics on in determining a 20% increase in LT Plats, please?  I think that even a 20% increase would be a far too high an increase in the number of LT Plats!  Wow, wish I could get a 20% raise at work.  But, if your number is correct, that's a 20% decrease in my chances of getting a room upgrade (not that I ever get them now).  I think you underestimate the number of existing LTs.

How many of us are a LT?  Plat, Gold! Silver?

I'm LT Plat so we're at a count of 1

Yes..I am a LTP and earned it the hard way and lots of revenue for Marriott!!!!

As far as points are concerns, it is easily generated through credit card spend!!!

Platinum elite is so watered down that it does not mean anyhing anymore.  Try to get a suite upgrade these days. In the good ole days, I got suite upgrades 90% of the time and now maybe 10% of the time.

So for those that now achieve LTP and/or Platinum level, the benefits have become so watered down that the level is becoming closer to being meaningless!!!

mrrich Platinum

"The points requirement has changed for LT Plat, you need 1 million less points to achieve LT Plat. And 250 less nights."

I'm pretty sure the LTP points threshold was 2M, where it remains.  It was 3M several years ago.  When you say "has changed", do you mean over the last two adjustments over multiple years?  Because it doesn't change by 1M on 1/1, unless I'm mistaken.

fwiw, my SPG PLT card has Lifetime Gold on it (until later this year) - something for MR to consider for those achieving a level higher than their lifetime level, to provide at least some recognition.  That fact also show up on the screen at check-in.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Count me in as a believer also..... 

mrrich Platinum

"I think we are addressing and are focused on the wrong question; the real Question that we MRI members need/should to be asking “What are the consequences” and not “Is this new Lifetime content understandable?”   "

This is Michelle's thread and she asked the question.  If you have a different question, perhaps you can create a new thread.  Thread hijacking is typically frowned upon.

As to "not answering the question", I only see one question in your post.  And as it is asking about how how you should emotionally react, I don't think anyone can answer that.  You obviously are, so it is what it is.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...