9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 10, 2013 12:57 AM by jerrycoin RSS

Let it snow?

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

While Waterville (ME) hasn't gotten the brunt of the storm yet, we are in blizzard conditions now with winds well over 50 mph (and my apt. walls shaking).  We're supposed to get hit worst during the day.  The highest snow total I've seen in Maine so far is 31.4" in Gorham, to the south.  Still, it's nothing like the Blizzard of '78, when I was a college student.  I was living in Millis, MA at the time and we got 48" in 2 days and the state was shut down for a week.

Anyway, whether you're at a hotel or at home, stay in and be safe!

ProfChiara

PS -- The birds have been all confused for the past two days, seemingly coming north in flocks

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Let it snow?
    tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

ProfC,

Well, I sent that email to you before I saw this update, so I guess that answers my questions.  Stay safe to you too.  We continue to feel bad for the NE after getting Sandy in the same year.  It should come to end by now, already, huh?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Hi Tryt,

While it is still snowing pretty hard, I think we may have gotten off easy in central Maine.  Portland got 30" at the Jetport, but it seems like maybe either it is getting sucked out to sea. It's hard to tell -- while the meteorologists are saying my area will have gotten up to 2' before the end, it looks like a lot less, though that could be blowing and drifting.  It sounds like Connecticut got the worst of it, especially since it was warmer there, meaning heavier snow.  It's seldom been above 10 in recent days here so that keeps everything light.

I haven't seen any cars on the road, though the governor hasn't closed them like in more southern NE states. (And I live on a dead-end road...)  But since there's nothing open there wouldn't be much reason for people to go out.  Anyway thanks for the thoughts!

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Glad to hear you're not getting it too bad.  I hope the other MI and everyone else weathers it out OK.. Anybody else out there getting hammered?

Likewise - it's rare that we get off easy in Maine, but a foot or so is not uncommon.  Usually it's so cold that there isn't enough moisture in the air to make it a real disaster (knock on wood).  Meanwhile, while warmly inside with power intact, I am having a delightful time watching my kitty try to attack snowflakes through the window.

PS - The birds seem to be heading south again.  They (the birds) are going to have to hold a conference soon to decide on destinations since all seems in flux.  (Both a medieval Persian author (who titled his work just that) and Chaucer, writing two hundred years later in his Parlement of Fowles) inspired me. )

PS - Do you think the birds could get corporate rates and points for their conference at a Marriott? Mind you, they'd rather not be near the restaurant.

I just took these photos five minutes ago, so you can see that for central Maine this is no big deal.IMG_0547.JPGIMG_0548.JPG

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

professor,

Thanks for the pictures and updates. 

Be careful in the snow!

Hi Jerry,

I'm not going anywhere.  We Mainers (even though 19 years here, I will always be 'from away') listen when told not to do stupid stuff.  Even though it looks much less serious (except in southern Maine, where Portland demolished its previous record) from the rest of New England, I have no intention of going out before Monday at the earliest.

Cheers, ProfC

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Professor,

Have a "Glass" on all of us!

Thanks for staying in touch!  You have a great plan!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...