19 Replies Latest reply: Feb 9, 2013 8:30 AM by alrenaissance RSS

If I Reserve and Pay for Two Rooms, Why Don't I Receive Credit for Two Rooms?

kingofhearts Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I recently reserved two rooms for one night on two different occasions.  While I received the point credit for both rooms for both stays, I did not receive Elite night credit for the second room.  Why, if I paid for the rooms, stayed in one of the rooms, wouldn't I receive the Elite nights credit for both rooms?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: If I Reserve and Pay for Two Rooms, Why Don't I Receive Credit for Two Rooms?
    JayKay Platinum

I just had a similar situation, and I posted what happened to me elsewhere on this board. It's basically the same problem.

As far as having an answer: beats me!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: If I Reserve and Pay for Two Rooms, Why Don't I Receive Credit for Two Rooms?
    alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

The way it is determined, the person technically cannot stay more then one night on a single night. I copied and pasted what I replied to another forum member about 3 weeks ago, which I had double-checked through plat rewards. Here goes:

"There are a few ways to go about this. In general, a MR member is permitted to get credit for up to 4 rooms (as long as they are staying in one). They, in general (there ar no specifics here) must be the one who pays for it.

Now, I am not sure who is doing the blocking, but after you obtain the rooms, the best thing to do then is to call Plat reservations, and they will tell you if your MR number can be added by them instantly or not. this is property-specific-dependant. Some will allow, others will not. but either way, plat reservations will call and have it added manually for you. At this point, they will also do the upgrade call for you as well. they are very good with this, and I have experienced a lot of success with the marriott reps. They may even get you a room preblocked.

Where you are going, and I am assuming it is the resort there, the time of season will dictate the upgrade availablity. If it is going to be spring, the upgrading in St. Kitts will be somewhat limited. Plat Reservations can get it going for you though. no doubt about it. then, you can always inverstigate this at check0in, but experience has shown me that having the Marriott rep xcall for you in advance will be much more beneficial then calling the property direct yourself. Others may have a different opinion, but mine is based on my personal experience, which is fairly large in this respect.

Good luck to you. I hope you get a nice room (or rooms). Also, some Marriott reservation reps will know more then others, and may give you some insite to a specific property when you call. If I can answer anything else for you specifically, please just leave a follow-up here and I will do the best I can to address it.

-Al"

So Kingofhearts, I know that the St.Kitts part does not apply to you, but I guess you can get the basic jist of how this all works.

Hope this helps!

-Al

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Kingofhearts,

This has been discussed in the past here on Insiders.  There are some who say that you can get credit for more than one room/night, but I haven't found it to be true in my personal experience.  When I purchased two rooms for multiple nights (for a family vacation), I only received one elite night credit per night.  My rewards number was assigned to both rooms, and I received the correct points for both rooms.  But only elite night credit for one of the rooms.  I called customer support and they explained to me that I only get elite night credit for the room that I'm personally staying in.  I believe it's along the same principle as with airlines (where miles are concerned).  If I purchase tickets for both myself and my husband or my child, etc., I only get FF miles or segment credits for my own ticket and no one elses.

It was disappointing the first time I discovered this.  I thought I was going to get 8 elite night credits for a 4 night stay (two rooms) and only received 4 nights credit.

Al, can you publish a reference source for your information?  It might help clarify.  Thanks.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

I've been able to get credit for two rooms if I book them on separate reservations.  When I booked two rooms under one reservation I only get credit for one.  So now I always make separate reservations for each room.

That actually makes total sense. 2 reservations should work (and I guess for you vaboywnder, it has worked!)

Well, end of discussion there!

Good thinking!

I still don't get it.  When you check in, you're checking in for both reservations, so the front desk knows that technically, it's one stay all on your rewards number and dime.

In my case, I made a reservation for one room, 4 nights.  Checked into the hotel.  The next day, went to the front desk and purchased an additional room for 3 nights (we just needed more space).  Used my rewards number.  So it then actually was two separate reservations.  I still only got elite night credit for the one room (4 nights), and I already mentioned above what customer service told me when I inquired.

So like many perks, it's still sounding pretty hit and miss to me.  That's why I'd be curious to read the text regarding the rule/policy.

pluto77,

I have a feeling that when you went to the front desk and requested a second room they amended your current stay to include the second room instead of creating a new stay for the second room.  Also I think what customer service told you is correct that the policy is if you book two rooms you only get credit for the one your staying in.  My theory is that when I've made two separate reservations that either the front desk or the accounting department doesn't want to go through the hassle of merging the two reservations into one stay.  Since there are two reservations in the system it would just be easier for them to process them as two separate stays resulting in me getting credit for both rooms. 

Va,

Your response makes sense.  I'm sure that's the case.  In another scenario, I made and paid for a reservation out of town for my daughter last December.  After making the reservation online, I called the hotel (an FFI) and requested that they use my credit card on file to pay for the stay.  My daughter checked in, stayed, and didn't stop at the front desk on the way out (the bill was under the door in the morning).  My credit card was charged and I got the night credit, but I don't think I was supposed to.  I guess it just depends upon how you skin the cat (well, that was gross...).  If  not for knowing the exact rules, I think we might be potentially treading on some ethical issues which makes me a bit squirmy.

erc Platinum

Great point pluto. To me, this is really the crux of the matter. Does it actually say somewhere that you don't earn two nights credit for two rooms (otherwise we're back to the consistently inconsistent headache that leads to opinion shopping)? (As a lifetime, I've got no dog in the fight over nights). I've given up on arguing  logical merits of anything because, heck, it's Marriott's ball and they can take it and go home anytime they want (with six months notice) and they can change the rules anytime they want with or without notice (General Terms) fair enough, we know going in and we've seen what a group of Insiders expressing desires gets us (check all polling results and follow up action - zip). So I too am curious to see the text regarding the rule/policy, because where the 'illogic' really hurts is when you have reason to expect something (logically) and don't receive it. If we know going in, as illogical as it may seem, we are at least forewarned (and btw, I'm not saying the rule isn't somewhere, I'm just saying, I can't find it).

Now, the rule that does get under my skin (and is in writing) is the T & C Earn Points #1 "The member must also stay in the one of the rooms" (to receive points for up to three rooms booked under his/her number). Talk about logic and fairness, the double whammy of a missed cancellation being paid without even earning points (yes, you do get credit card points - but not hotel stay) really bugs me, but oh well. And I don't dare talk about the 20-25 reservations I almost always have coming up that should something happen and I go to the big hotelier in the sky requires a Reservations 101 Family Training course!

What an enjoyable read you always are, Erc.  Even when discussing unpleasant rules, at least I can smile.

Okay so what IS in writing is in reference to POINTS earned (up to 3 rooms), not NIGHTS earned.  Well, that at least clears some of this up for me, so thanks.  Yes, I would be very unhappy to learn that not only did I have to pay for a night that I forgot to cancel, but I also didn't get the night credit.  That would indeed be a double whammy.  And speaking of the big hotelier in the sky, we should warn our loved ones in advance, to be prepared to shell out for a Mondo number of death certs., as I am finding out that everyone and their mother requires one in order to "close up shop."

Hello.

The whole issue has to be property dependant. There is one property close to me, and for obvious reasons I am not going to disclose and mess up a good thing, but the way they post point stays, is that the charge goes on the folio, then is later removed under a coding which shows a payment equal to the amount it would have cost. I get full points, nights, etc. on POINT STAYS!

I simply think they do not know how to do it correctly,at the front desk, and later let accounting figure out the whole thing. They must do it for everybody as it seems to be their Standard Operating Procedure. Strange, but nice!

It could have to do with that I never know when I am going to use a rewards stay and call it in sometimes with only a few hours before arrival. If I get sporting event tickets or something last minute from a contractor or business associate. perhaps there is no time to draw a formal point stay voucher. I never turn anything in, as they indicate it is sent electronically. Once again, strange. The front desk folks do know me on sight though.

The same was true with this location back when EEO's were around. The second night here would post as a cash credit, and full rewards points would be given. This was everytime!

I hate not being discreet, but what is done is done, and BOGO weekends are gone now. That fact, and that I would stay there often, never ceased to amaze me.

I know this is a dumb question, but here goes.  Do we get any type of credit at all for a points stay (points credit or elite night credit?)

Once again, seems to vary based on location. Do not know other then that as I do not pay enough attention, but maybe I should.

pluto77,

Actually you do earn some points when you make a stay with points or certificate.  Last month I used a certificate for a one night stay.  I received the platinum welcome bonus of 500 points, then received points for the valet and restaurant charge I billed to the room, and also earned the 50% Elite bonus for those charges ($68) making my total points earned 1,528.  Of course I did not earn the elite night credit since it was a free stay but earning the points for the incidentals was nice.

Vabw,

I've transferred points to others for a shared stay, but I've never used points myself, so I didn't know.  It's a bummer that I won't be earning nights for point stays this year, but I'm at least glad to know (eyes wide open now) in advance.  Thanks for the info.  It's actually quite helpful in determining whether to use points vs. cash in terms of employing strategies for maintaining elite status for the purpose of free breakfasts in the following year.  As a non-business traveler still working (limited to vacation time off), maintaining elite status poses a difficult challenge.  Point stays increase that difficulty.

Points for the valet, huh?  A lot of folks on here have complained that they don't receive points for the parking spend, so way to go.

pluto77,

I can totally relate on the difficulty on deciding when to use points vs cash for leisure stays.  I have very limited business stays each year (1-2) and trying to maintain Platinum Elite status can be a challenge sometimes.  Since the Marriott Cheques have been discontinued I have found the next best use of points is for Marriott Giftcards.  When using Marriott Giftcards toward your room stay you still earn points and nights.  I'm crossing my fingers that since the $1,000 Marriott Cheques promotion for 135,000 points is no longer around that eventually Marriott will offer a similar deal with the Giftcards.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

yes.  you get the platinum welcome gift points, if that's what you choose, and the points for any incidental expenditures such as room service if staying at a full service Marriott, Renaissance, JW, etc.  But nothing other than the welcome gift points at FFI, CY, SHS, TPS, RI.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...