47 Replies Latest reply: Feb 11, 2013 3:22 PM by californian RSS

Sedona_AZ.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

The famous "Red Rocks Western Town" is truly special!

Wanted to share some information with you from last week's trip. (Especially Chrisf, who will be there soon)

There are no Marriott's in the area, so I chose a nice Hilton Resort, but there are wonderful Best Western's as well.

Would recommend you stopping in at The Chamber of Commerce first.  It's on South Main Street and is free, if you go to the "Many" helpful places that have signs offering "Information", they are going to try to sell you local time shares places.  Here is where you want to start your visit:

IMG_2987.JPG

The Best Western on Main Street, looked like a good place to stay.

IMG_2989.JPG

IMG_2990.JPG

Go to this place first!  Wonderful and helpful people who will direct you to whatever you desire in this fine city!  For free!

IMG_2992.JPG

Google "Sedona" and see the wonderful scenery, quite a lot of "Western Movie History"

IMG_2994.JPG

The view from The Auberge dining room is both blessed with great food, but wonderful food!  It's for that special occasion.  Unforgettable!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Sedona, Arizona, USA
  • Re: Sedona_AZ.
    chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

Very timely, Jerry!  Thanks for the very helpful pics ... we are now looking forward to Sedona even more eagerly.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Nice photos, Jerry.  What a memorable evening it must've been dining there with such a lovely river view.

pluto,

It had just rained and it doesn't take much rain to make the "Creek rise" in the desert!  Here is how calm it was last year from the same table!

IMG_1865.JPG

You've reminded me of what wonder and beauty a good rain can shower down upon a desert.  (It occurs to me that I am past due for a sit in a good desert thunderstorm.  Ah yes, of course a story comes to mind.  I'll spare you this time... )

Pluto,

Rain is one thing, but it was actually snowing last week!

Left St. Louis to get away from the cold and St. Louis went to 68 degrees, and it turned to 38 degrees in Sedona.  Not a place to be in the cold!

Here's a few more photo's for the file!

IMG_1852.JPG

IMG_1854.JPG

The pictures speak of the beauty of the area!

Jerry,

That hardly seems fair at all.  I hope at least that the change of scenery was therapeutic.  The photos are truly stunning.  Nice that you can get down there each year.

Have you ever done the Disneyland train at Disneyland in Anaheim that goes through the dioramas of the Grand Canyon?  It covers all of the seasons and includes snow.  Your winter desert travel stories remind me of the Disney train through the Grand Canyon desert in the winter time!  I know it didn't meet your expectation, but the southwest desert winter, with its unpredictable weather (including the occasional snowfall) can sometimes have a beauty and charm all its own.

pluto,

Having only been to Disneyland once, I did not take the train, and did not get to see the seasons change.

Alas, I really have enjoyed Arizona, and the few cities I have visited.  It is really nice in January.  Have booked again for 2014, and this time will stay only in Scottsdale, and take day trips from there.

Will shortly put a post on The Ghost town, close to Superstition Mountain.  It is a wonderful place and is free to visit.

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

Sedona is beautiful, and would be immensely more beautiful if we could purge it of the New Agers and "vortex" morons. So if you visit, please take one of them when you leave and drop them off in San Francisco or Santa Fe.  Arizona thanks you.

jk,

You are so right!

I did not notice is so much in Sedona, but sure did in Scottsdale.  As a Mid-Western guy, I thought we had been invaded by "Aliens".  I had a "Close Encounter", at a card shop, where three people were so enamored with themselves and all the phone calls to them, I had to go outside the shop.

Never seen anything like it, and the clerk told me North Scottsdale is even worse.

Have never experienced such "Behavior" by humans ever.

Please keep these "Aliens" away from me!

erc Platinum

nat.png

Here you go boys, what could be more down to earth than a girl holding 'Snoopy'. 

Namaste  

That is a very lovely young lady, erc.

erc,

So very good!

And this is why I live in Glendale, and avoid Snottsdale at all costs.

John,

LOL!  Both responses much appreciated.  Oh geez, still wiping the eyes and L-ingOL.

What is a vortex moron?

I'm glad that it wasn't just me that didn't know!  I couldn't find anything useful on the web for that ... however, 'new agers' sent me to an amusing u-tube clip.  I guess that they must be similar beings?

chris,

I think I have met some, but didn't know how to "Classify" them.  Have never heard that phrase before.  However, I have never seen "American Idol" either!

Yes, what is it?

Those are the wonderfully enlightened individuals that profess a belief that there are magical forces emanating from or through the planet in the Sedona area that have energies undetectable by any actual scientific means, and will fill one with all sorts of energy and wonderment. Oh, who am I kidding. It's just a bunch of hoo-hah pushed to the overfunded and undereducated wannabe hippies left. In short, New Age silliness. It would be entertaining if they weren't so earnest about it.

Thanks for the 'enlightenment' JK ... I had guessed that was the case from the New Agers U-tube video.  If we have space in the car, I'll try and transport one or two to Texas for you ...

alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Hi everyone, and Jerry!

I saw this thread and wanted to share my little nice story about Sedona about 5 years ago.

So after renting a new Jaguar for $50 a day through the Avis Presdent's club special (which they drove up for me from Tuscon, and I think that was all the miles thast car has ever seen!),

I headed up to the Hilton, Red Rock. very nice! So I get upgraded to a nice suite with a fireplace, and decided to go down to my favorite place, the lounge area. Well, nobody is there except for one gentleman who was drinking a glass of wine. I was with a friend of mine, and just playing around, I asked to buy the bar a round. The gentleman there politely declines, and I said that was OK, but started shooting the breeze with him. He asks me my name, etc., and we had a good hour of talk time, him, my buddy, and I. About an hour later I said I was going to leave as I had one of those hour long hot rocks and seaweed massages coming up, so politely left. I told the gentleman to buzz my room if he was going out or down to the lounge later, as he said it had been slow the day before, etc., so I indicated that if he wanted to BS to give me and my friend a buzz.

Later, after the massage, I come up to the room, and there was a bottle of Dom Perigon ready for me, iced up, and with 2 flutes. It said it was compliments of the house. i thought well, pretty cool, but could not figure out what was going on with that. I then proceeded to haul it with me to the green outside of the hotel on one of the golf course holes and just sit there and drink it and watch the sun go down. Beautiful!

The next morning, I go to leave, and the same gentleman from the lounge was there, behind the desk, and introduced himself as the Manager! I ws a little dumbfounded, as he had not had any ID on the night before, nor had said he was the GM. He said during our conversation, he had got a lot of good perspectives into how  guests felt about certain things, and had really enjoyed our lighthearted conversation from that perspective. He had sent the champagne (which I think was listed around $325 a bottle, or more) there as a gift, and noticing that we had purchased massages and syuff, since it was a third party service, could not lower that, but dropped our room rate to $65 a night! (we had 2 nights)!

I was thrilled, and told him if he wanted any other "verbal guest consulting" to let me know, and I would promptly fly right down there at that rate! LOL! !!

He said now that the "cat is out of the bag" so=to-say, he might not get the same unbiased info he was looking for since I thought he was just anotyher guest. I can understand that. I just thought it was very nice of him to do the things he did for us (not just because of financial benefits, but it also made our stay so memorable with the little surprises!)

Anyway, it was a very nice time, everything was awesome there, and I would go again in a heartbeat. 

I know you said you were going to Arizona, Jerry, but if I would have known where, I would have highly recommended the Hilton there. Same to you Chris, and if you want to know anything else about the place that I can help you with, please let me know!

I know there are no real Marriott properties in the area, but if you are open to anything, I would highly recommend that Hilton!

I just wanted to mention my little experience there as this is the name of the thread!

Safe Travels, - Al

Al,

You and Jerry are the magic travelers.  Great things always happen for you wherever you go.  I need to start traveling with you guys.  You're charmed!  Or charming...

Well Ms. Pluto. I do not know if it is the charming thing (although I would like to think so!) Ha!, but I think the "squeky wheel gets the oil" thing that my girlfriend insits I have in a big way is part of the thing, plus when I was travelling super-heavy-duty, if something really cool happens only 1 out of 10 times, traveling 50 different trips a year is basically 5 really nice things a year! Other then that, I do not know how to explain it. Part of it may be when you are nice to people (like offering to buy the bar a round, jokingly since nobody but him was there), then nice things happen back!

You are super nice, so I am sure you have has some similar experiences!

pluto,

Really don't think I get any special treatment that others don't get.  Al and I are "Centurion AMEX" cardholders and that get's you a lot of "Perks".  (Not with Marriott, unfortunately).  But it does get you in airport lounges, and a free "Passport" card that also gets you into lounges as well.

The down side is it does cost $2500 a year, and you have to be "Invited".  It also allows you to buy 2-for-one business class tickets on International flights.  Saved me $4500 going to Munich.  Been an AMEX customer for 40 years and a Marriott Rewards Member for 30 years!

What a great way to travel!

As Jerry said. It is hard to express some of the opportunities that being a Centurion member has brought.

Jerry, you may not know it, as we only pay $2500 a year based on being grandfathered in as first year members, but the rate (annual fee) is now $7500 a year for primary's!!

(Straight from the honcho's there at Centurion Support line).

Did you know that the first person to ever have the Centurion card was Jerry Seinfeld? ((from what Centurion told me before, but I have also heard he is ONE of the first, not the absolute first)

Funny part is I probably would still pay it after all we went through to get invited!

Al,

Did know any of the information you shared with me.

I do know they do a great job on getting me tickets for events and dining experiences.  Would not drop them, as I would never get back in. 

They do send you "Gifts" based upon how much you spend.  My camera (Used in all my Marriott photo's), was a gift from AMEX.

Have heard others get show tickets and ?.

Tiffany, out of Boston, takes good care of me!

Al,

What a wonderful story!

Need to stay in touch, and get your advice on some upcoming trips!

Keep the good news coming.

Al,

Great post and wonderful story!

The Hilton is a great place, and I'll bet you had the same room as I did!.  Take a look!

IMG_2985.jpg

Room 2088, was special, and had a great view of the Red Rocks.  Top floor corner, plenty quiet.

Just the same! Except I had the fireplace on the other side! HaHa!

I really liked this place, and I am glad they hooked you up as well. I also had a view of the "red rocks". Is this nice living or what?

Al,

Here is the view from the jacuzzi in the BR!

IMG_2986.JPG

The weather was terrible, but still spectacular, This is three famous "Red Rock" formations from the jacuzzi!  By the way they brought us "Comped" room service everyday! ($25 credit per day)

tHAT IS TOO COOL!

BAD WEATHER, NICE PICTURE 

Al,

Yes,  this is a wonderful area to enjoy!IMG_1854.JPG

Nice Jerryson,

See, this is why I always go to Hertz, Avis or National.

A 4 wheel drive can go MOST ANYWHERE

a rented Jaguar can go ANYWHERE!

(They hate it when I say that, put me on double full-protection, triple-indemnity, quadruple secret insurance!)

LOL!

I am not really that bad, at least not usually - Whoops!

-Al

Al,

Interesting note about "Renting Cars", DO NOT, book them when book your flights.  It is typically, a lot more expensive than booking your car directly with your preferred car rental agency.

If your company has a "Discount" with a certain carrier, that can save you a lot of money as well!

I hear ya brother!

I have rented just about anything that walks, flys, or swims at one time or another.

There is a big difference in the pricing schematics.

sandyco Silver

From Sandyco

Have just been following your discussion and you have reminded me of one of the places we most enjoyed. Sedona and Red Rock country is quite magical especially when seen from the air very early in the morning from a hot air balloon! We did this for a treat one year on my birthday and it takes some beating and a great prezzie I can tell you. The balloon company even included breakfast - it was all worth the really start.

For a great off road drive try Schnebly Hill but would recommend a vehicle with four wheel drive - you need a good suspension. See this info just taken from the web:

Schnebly Hill Road

One of the most scenic routes in Sedona, the Schnebly Hill Road leads you up to the Mogollon Rim with excellent views of Red Rock Country. You can either head back down the way you came or continue through 7 miles of ponderosa forest and connect to the I-17.

• Distance: From start to Schnebly Hill Vista: 5 mile, Total (Start to I-17): 12 miles.
                      • Elevation Gain: To Schnebly Hill Vista: 1,800 feet.
                      • Difficulty: Moderate
                      • Trail Type: Dirt road, rocky, steep grades, ruts. High clearance vehicle or off road vehicle is recommended.
                      • Trailhead: From the intersection of Hwy 89a/Hwy 179 drive southeast on Hwy 179. At the first round about turn onto Schnebly Hill Road drive for less than a mile until you reach the unpaved portion of the road.

There is also an amazing huge art gallery in Sedona called Exposures that has to be seen to be believed. See http://www.exposuresfineart.com/

There is an arts and crafts village called Tlaquepaque (pronounced I think Tlockypocky) that is choc full of quaint shops with a wide and varied selection of artwork on offer . It is purpose-built so may be a tad touristy but we thought worth visiting. See http://www.tlaq.com/

That's probably enough from me so enjoy!

sandyco,

Great information, and it sounds like you had a very memorable Birthday!

Saw a lot of "Pink Jeeps" that were taking people on "Off Road" drives.  Didn't do it, but it sure sounds like fun!

Thanks for your post, please keep them coming!

IMG_1858.JPG

Great info Sandy ... I've added it to our Sedona possibles list.  Fortunately we have rented a SUV so, hopefully, it will cope with some off-road activity!

Chrisf,

You are about ready to leave, but let me share this with you.

Be careful on taking rental cars "Off Road", there are "Exclusions", and remember you have to get to New Orleans from Sedona.  You might consider taking a "Pink Jeep" and keeping your car at the Best Western!  Just a thought!

C'mon, Jerry, whatever happened to the spirit of "drive it like a rental"? 

jk,

Like "Dirty Harry said, Do you feel lucky?",

I don't!

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

In Maui, one cannot drive on certain roads.  A friend of mine used to make money helping people who are stuck.  There is a place where water flows over the road and cars drive through it in an off road area.  At least once a day, they get stuck and the rental company companies are brutal if you call them.  He had use of a tow truck and would get them out for $500 ( a long time ago so probably more now).

Thanks for the warning Jerry ... but a 'pink' (???) jeep!

I have been on the Pink Jeeps and some of the others too.  I think the Pink is the best.  They have many different trips and can take you where you can't get with a car.  However, if you are a hiker, some of the places can be reached by foot.

We are planning to do a walk in Walnut Canyon which one of the MRIs recommended.  I think that there will be a lot of hiking on this trip.

I was one.  Walnut Canyon has some ruins that are interesting.  It is a National Park and if you have a pass you will be set.

There are other hiking trails, sorry but I don't recall the names, but I am out hiking and see the jeeps and people getting out for pictures.

What a nice experience! 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...