30 Replies Latest reply: Feb 6, 2013 3:29 PM by chrisf Branched from an earlier discussion. RSS

Especially love to try local food. The money you save on restaurants you can spend on shopping

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Good prompt GemP ... I had forgotten about that ... too focused on Filene's!  I would have got there in the end ... I used to be a regular business visitor to Chicago until a few years ago.  I just checked out one of my favourite wine and food shops ...Home - Pastoral Artisan Cheese, Bread & Wine ... and it still seems to be there!  (In fact, there seem to be 4 shops now.)  It was a great place to get some excellent bread, cheese and olives to take back to the hotel, with some wine of course ... especially after a day of customer meetings / lunches ... it was a nice option to be able to veg in the hotel.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: One of my favourite wine and food shops in Chicago, Pastoral
    GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

I also like picking up high quality, tasty items, and relaxing in the room.  Especially love to try local food. There is a side benefit to that too!  The money you save on restaurants you can spend on shopping. The food leaves you with memories, but after shopping you have tangible items that you can use or give as presents afterwards.  Gem shopping of course is my favorite, as they last the longest, have intrinsic value, and are easy to pack and carry

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I had worked out that 'gems' were dear to your heart!  I wonder what the clue was ...

alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Gem,

One of my favorite things to do on this planet is to try local and "indigenous" foods.

Very few times have I been disappointed. It really helps me to feel that I am part of the culture that I am in at the time. A true "immersion" so-to-say!!

For me, its the major reason to travel...to try the local food!

Gem, Is there any ONE specif place that you like to go to as often as possible JUST to try the food?

You share your favorite, and I'll share mine! LOL!!!!

Al,

Really tough question, as it depends on what I am in the mood for....

• Washington DC has just about anything I want from around the world, plus my long standing favorites, my favorite cafe's, good french food, just had great Persian food, meze, ethiopian, burmese, chinese, you name it, and I can probably find it
            • Indonesia for Pedang (Rifestaffle is the Dutch version of the original Indonesia dish that originated in Sumatra) which is little plates of different delicacies.  Like Chinese Dim Sum you select the ones your want.
            • Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore for Nasi Champor which is the chef's special or surprise. They give you rice (nasi in malay/indonesian), and then a little bit of whatever curries they have.
            • Singapore style Mongolian hotpots, where the well has 4 sections filled with different 3 sauces and hot oil, and you choose from a long buffet table the meats, seafood, vegetables you want and then cook them on a skewer in one of the temperature hot sauces or oil.  At the end of the meal, some of the sauces, like the broth or coconut curried broth can be served as a soup that has been flavored by all the items you have cooked in it.
            • Bangkok - Ma Boon Khrong - an urban shopping center with two full floors of food courts filled with stalls. You buy your tickets and then use the tickets at the booths to select what you want
            • Vietnamese Pho with all the different choices of what to put in your soup.
            • Vienna - Tafelspitz - a favorite of the Emperor Franz Joseph  - you select the cuts of meat you want that are cooked in broth.  My favorite restaurant is Plachutta which has been in operation

This is making me hungry just thinking about it....time for dinner!

WOW!

You really do travel a lot, following your stoumach around! You obviously know what you are talking about. better then I. I will need some help from you on this.

Very impressive pallette'.

I will try to match your categories with my favorites. I also would like to make some commentary on foods you have listed here which I do not often get to talk about. How fun!

1) My favorite West African is in Seattle. Some very hot stuff! I have often thought about the heat level, and the best that I can figure is that if you are in a country which has bouts of famine, spicey food seems to fill you up faster and give you a more content feeling. (my imagination?)

2) It is hard for me to find good, authentic persian food. The cost of real sapphron may be the culprit. What are your thoughts on this?

Indonesian is another which I try to find, but once again hard, Last place I went to I asked for 3 out of 10 on the heat (spice) level. Holy smokes!

I will be back in a minute. FedEx is at the door!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

I'd like to know if there's just one place that Gem has never been to!   I think we need to upgrade her from GemPrincess to TravelQueen!!

Plutonian,

Oh, being a Queen ages me!

I am young at heart and wish to be a Princess

Plus I don't want all the responsibilities of running anything.

Just travel the world and enjoy it

Gem, The utopian plateau us travelers aspire to.

Count me in.

Al, You know how they have these dream team activities, well, I was thinking we could maybe have a dream trip, where we assemble all the information for our ideal trip or voyage, if we could go anywhere, for as long as we want, and do anything.

It is a beautiful thing. But to develop it and it not bear fruition?

That may be more depressing then to have never done it. Perhaps. Perhaps not.

I leave the thought to you.

They say drinking effects my decision making. They may be right, I can't decide!

I find drinking the right things, in the right quantities improves mine

Always good for the arteries, if done right Ms. Gem!

Perhaps some antioxidants also, to keep the age-defying going strong. Helps to kill free-readicals, to you will not have to become the "queen" for awhile! HaHa!

So there is 2 good things on your side for a start.

"One wine a day will keep a line at bay!"  famous quote by Alrenaissance

NOW we have to consol Ms. Pluto after the San Francisco loss. I hope she did not bet too much $$$$!

Wild game!

Al,

I find when I travel outside the US, the food is not so processed so its not so unhealthy.

and 1 glass of red wine is very good for you.

I agree with you Gem, about the food not being so processed. I do notice that certain spices are used more often which I think help to extend the life of the food without allowing it to go bad.

Do you prefer white or red wine?

I am a red fellow. White seems to have an aftertaste to me quite often, and I think red is better for you overall.

Hey GemP ... but have you noticed how the size of a glass of wine varies?  The standard in the UK seems to be to provide a large glass (250ml) unless a small glass (175ml) is requested ... and a standard wine bottle is only 750ml, so a large glass is a third of a bottle!  However, I never complain ...

I am definitely in the same category of wine as Al ... red by preference.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

chris,

I'm with you and most of the rest.  I like red wine the best.  Must be nice to get 250ml glasses when you order, instead of our  175ml average.  We will have a lot of different tastings when we get together someday.

I hope so, Tryt ... I hear that a lot of good wine is produced in Washington State!  Seattle is definitely on our list over the next couple of years ... potentially as our base for heading to Alaska and also as the starting point for our Northern States Roadtrip. 

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Chris,

While there are many good wineries on the western side of the mountains in Washington, there are probably more wineries that are noteworthy on the eastern side of the mountains, where the hot dry summer climate makes many nice grapes.  We'll make sure we get to see you if you get to the northwest, and we'll make sure we look you up when we get to the UK someday.  Have fun on this wonderful trip you have planned.  We are all looking forward to your stories and pictures!

I am happy to cross mountains for good wine!  We shall be practising on this trip ... we are staying 3 nights at Walnut Block Vineyard near Blenheim and later staying 3 nights at Hawkdun Rise Vineyard near Alexandra ... both in South Island, NZ.  I'll ensure that I sample enough wine to give you some valid feedback ... hic!  Life is going to be sooo tough!

Al,

I am indeed a sad sack today.  Alas, I bet the farm!  That is to say, I bet all of my heart, and now it is broken.    You will know when the arm band comes off.  I will change my avatar.

But I am still a big girl, so congratulations to John Harbaugh, Joe Flacco and the Baltimore Ravens.  (Booltimoah.  Isn't that how you NorEasters say it?)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

GP and Al,

Count me in, as well!

The biggest problem is "Getting away"!

Only been on one cruise, and just have to have a balcony!

Jerry,

I have only done 2 cruises in my life as well. the one where I ate 4 or 5 orders of escargot, and a pretty cool one which did the Western Carribean. Costa rica, Panama, Cozumel, Cayman Islands, etc. Both were about 2 and 3 years ago.

It is fun, but I feel so caged on those darn boats. They leave me off at a port, and then say "Well you have 5 hours here, and then be back!" Well I need more time then that to pick up on some local culture. After getting through the trinket area, where they seem to be the same from island to island, I just head to duty free and get my Johnnie Walker Blue Label for pennies on the dollar compared to what I pay here.

I am amazed that a $225 bottle of scotch in the U.S. can go down to the point in price that I can almost use it to mix with coca-cola (I would never do that to single malt scotch!  ) but I guess my question is:

Why are the prices at duty-free so different from country to country?  I would think that the price is the price, but no tax is being added. Are some (or all) of these duty-free shops independantly owned or something? I thought I remember hearing that before. that would account for the price difference. Marlboro cigarettes are $20 a carton in Mexico, but only $10 in Panama. What is up with that?????

I would like to mail a couple thousand to me in the states and sell to my FAMILY (!)  and essentially  just save people so much money here. Not that I am saying smoking is a good thing to do, but I know a few smokers who spend a lot on this habit. Even if they can afford it, I hate see them getting raked by paying outrageous tax on things .

Like the alcohol tax in Pennsylvania for the Johnstown flood. That happened about 150 years ago!!  the tax still exists.

So what is up with the price difference at Duty-Free Shops, you guys and gals!!!???!!!  

Gem,

Understood!  Always a Lady, never a Dowager!  Works for me too.

Have no Fear Ms. Gem! You are certainly a Princess on this forum!

... and I was thinking that it was to buy gems!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...