20 Replies Latest reply: Feb 9, 2013 5:47 AM by californian Branched from an earlier discussion. Branched to a new discussion. RSS

I moved to Buenos Aires thread for reports on SA

californian Platinum 37 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Al,

I moved to Buenos Aires thread for reports on SA.  After today, I will be Internet silent since it supposed to be very expensive on the ship.  I will be leaving the hotel at 4am tomorrow morning to catch my flight and then some sightseeing before I get on the ship.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: I moved to Buenos Aires thread for reports on SA
    GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Not only expensive but slow and unreliable.

Just got back from my 10 day cruise, and I didn't even bother with the internet this trip

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

OK Cali. I understand and have started tracking that thread for future SA purposes.

Glad you are well and things are good thus far.

I am still at work Will talk to you soon.

-Al

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

Al ... is the thread you refer to the Buenos Aires one?  I can't seem to find another SA one.

Hi Chris,

A Buenos Aires thread started about a week ago by Cali, but issince defunct. She was in that city for a day, and then let the thread go I believe.

For now, I am waiting here for the Cali return, as this is where she always seems to come.

After she gets back, she will start a new "Antarctica thread" I am sure, and at that point she will probably lt loose with the great pictures and stories. I am just hanging here right now for everyday chit-chat, as there are a bunch of threads going on, people talking to me from all directions, and between that and work hours currently I am getting tossed all over the place!

LOL!

Since Cali will return here, I am just hanging. I have stopped tracking about a dozen other threads as my mailbox was gettin a little nuts.

Alot of people seem to be tracking on this thread current, so for now if I want to let something loose, so to say, I am doing it here.

So Chrisf:

How was your trip with the Mrs>?

Seems like just yesterday you were getting ready to go, but could have been 2 weeks ago for all the stuff going on in my life since New Year.  Speaking of which: I just stayed at a full service Marriott last Saturday night, yet got this interesting little note from Marriott in my Inbox. I will be right back after I copy and paste it!

-Al

Ok, I'll do the same Al ... I am expecting some amazing pics from Antarctica. 

Yes, we had a great time at St Peirre thanks.  I updated the thread under my blog ... 'getting in some practice' ... some pics there too.  We are off on the mega trip on 12th Feb.

Dear Al ******,

We notice you haven't been staying with us as frequently as you used to, and we're curious why.

As a Platinum member of the Marriott Rewards® program, we value your business and opinion, and wonder if there's anything we can do to better meet your needs.

By taking a few minutes to fill out our brief survey about your Marriott® experiences, you'll help us better serve you in the future.

and then a link.

Geez  If I dobn't stay at least 2 nights a week, is Marriott freaking on me, or what?  I do not understand where this came from. I wonder if it is one of those fake SPAM things that were being mailed out. Do you know what I mean? For awhile, occassionally I was getting an email, which seemed to be legitimate, which had a header and everything, and asked me a whole bunch of questions about my lat stay, etc, etc., but in the end, after a bunch of research on the phone and nline, found out it was a solicite from MRV (I think that is the acronym) for Marriott Time Shares.

It even said I would be awarded 1000 points in 6-8 weekes.  After some research, where Marriott rewards got involved and called me back after doing some tracking, said it was sponsored by Vacation Club, and was a legitimate link, but one which Rewards had no power over, and that Time Share/Vacation club could noty actually give me any reward points. Therefore the rewards end did toss me a couple thousand points for the inconvenience, but since then I have watched out for theeThey could be approaching me from a different angle. I wonder if anybody else got anything similar. Did you?

How about are newest super-active member Sledchick? I really like her!

She seems to be very spoken, dynamic, and quick-witted. She should fit right in with us! LOL!   I can see her being a regular fo sure. I guess I should see if she needs any help with getting all of her badges!

- Al

I just love your mini-rants ... I have a huge chuckle!  I guess that you must write as you speak!?!  I've not had any calls/emails/etc.  ... but would be happy to be inconvenienced and receive a few thousand points ...

Yes, SledC fits in very well.  In fact, there seem to be quite a few new MRIs who are making an excellent contribution ... whether they are requesting or giving info, it is the life-blood of our community, eh!?!  I spoke with sandyco on the phone the other day and we had a great chat ... her and her husband don't live far from us and in the same county (state) ... small world!  (Well, especially if you live in the UK!)

HaHA! Chris, you are so right. I guess I am ranting, and you are right, I just write as if I am talking to you in person. No pre-thought as to what I am saying. that is why I have so many typos I think. I really should go back and look at that. After all, I just put some effort into saying something and it only takes a minute to look over it. that way, it is less confusing to those who are reading what I am writing.

long ago I found that I did best in writing in school, etc., by simply writing what I am saying in my head. In college, I actually had a few things published in a U.S. National English writing forum called the "explicator". It is a writing composeum which you have to have a piece of work submitted by a member (in this case my college English Honors teacher) and then it is critically reviewd by some sort of think tank who will then decide if it is publishable. I felt honored to have this done.

I also feel honored to have you like it when I "go off" on a tangent so-to-say. It is the best way for me to try and convey everything I want to say at once without forgetting, and then I hope it makes sense. LOL!

I think that is why sometimes the things I say may seem "blunt" or "unorthodox" (can you tell I am looking for the right word here!) LOL!, but I appreciate that you and a few others get a kick out of it when I do it. Kind of like I am writing straght from the heart. So Thank you for your kind compliment!

I return, I am going to try and go back and get my spelling straight. It is not usually that I do not know how to spell what I am saying, usually it is because I am typing too fast, or have a letter stick on the keyboard based on whether I am at home, work, mobile. etc,.

I hope you enjoy your dinner and that you have a fine glass of wine!  JerryCoin is the resident expert on what you are drinking. We have a little of everything available on this forum!

I shall check the "main discussion page" as you say, to see if it offers any "helpful" links.

Thanks for the help and nice talking to you!

-Al

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

Aha!  I knew I was in the presence of greatness!  Thanks for sharing some of your background, Al.  I am appreciative of your "explicator" honor.  And I like your writing style a lot.  -Sledchick

Hey there Sledchick!

Thanks for the very nice things you said. I gotta tell you, we are all good for each other's ego on here! LOL!

The nice thing is that many people say nice things about each other on here, but it is not just out of courtesy, but is really meant by those giving the praise.

We all got so lucky to have a group of people from all over the world who actually enjoy sharing as well as listening to other travelers stories. We all have so much to learn from each other, but in a fun and leisurely format.  Isn't that too cool!

I like your writing style also. Very dynamic and upbeat. You just seem to say what you mean, and it is easy to tell that your outlook and demeanor is upbeat and positive.

People from all over the world on here!  Like Klaus from Germany, Chrisf from Great Britain, folks all over the U.S., like Kharada46 stationed down there in Hawaii, and all ready to lend a hand!

So hard to find in the egocentric world we seem to live in today.

I really look forwards to your contributions, as I have all of the other folks on here. Such a nice and treasured thing to have.

Sometimes it is hard, but I really try to keep up with the goings on in here. It is always a fun break from my day, and makes me feel good when people on here help each other.  It is hard to count on anything these days, but this Insider's forum has never let me down.

I look forwards to talking with you next time, and thanks again for the nice comments!

-Al Be Happy

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Al (be rootin' for 'dem Forty Niners! ), it's true, you are always a delightful read!

Thank you Ms. Plutonian. You are much too kind as well.

R u all funnin' me? LOL!

I see you picked up on my little signature. Having the name AL opens a plethora of opportunities for more playing around. As usual.

How about Gem just firing out all of this killer food?  How in the heck am I supposed to respond to that wild child stuff!

I was going to simply say how much I enjoy really good Thai, especially the Lemongrass and red or green coconut curry dishes, and now she is giving me flashbacks of all of the cool dishes I have had in the past, are hard to find, and that I rarely ever get to talk about. Usually because people have no idea what the heck I am talking about.

I am going to really think back about what I have had and where, and maybe she can provide me some insitte as to what exactly I was eating.

So you are rooting for them 49ers. I can understand that. I do not want them to have too many "all-time" Superbowls, as I am reserving that spot for the Steelers. That is a pretty lame reason to not root for them though. I guess the dominant reason  that I am (sort of) favoring Baltimore is to make the AFC North a real powerhouse with Pittsburgh and the Ravens being in the same division. I could be persuaded to go with San Fran if the odds are right though! HaHa.

Do you live in San Fran or close by? What are your specific reasons for supporting them?

I s

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Al,

Have always wanted to buy one of those round the world tickets, and just travel around the globe, stopping off to visit as many places as possible and sample the food.

I would love to have one of those round the world tickets. I can only imagine.

Do they have them anymore, and when they did (or do) I know a little about it, but not all of the details. What are (or were) they, and who sponsored it? American?

Hi Al ... yes, they do still do 'round the world' tickets but they don't seem to be as good value as they used to be. 

I checked out the cost with both BA and Virgin and the cost for two was around £9000 in total (mainly coach but a couple of premium upgrades - no business) and some of those flights were pretty rubbish ... i.e. two/three changes whereas you could book direct with another carrier.  Both airlines had their buddy carriers but the booking tool did not seem to optimise the deal very well.  BA had a specific site to use ...Round-the-world fares - oneworld

Our big trip this year does take us around the world but with a variety of carriers and I have used a fair number of remaining air miles from my working period.  The best deal that I could get was ... BA to Frankfurt / Qantas to Singapore / Silkair to and from Phuket / Emirates to Melbourne / Emirates to Auckland / Air NZ to LAX / AA from NO to Chicago / Virgin back to London ... all for about £4000 and includes business / premium upgrades on the longer segments.

When I checked the round-the-world tickets out some years ago, it was about £5000 for a business class ticket which allowed 25000 miles in one direction, I think.  I couldn't find the same now but there are some independent sites that offer something similar for about £6500 ...Virgin Atlantic Business Class | Round the World Tickets

Wow Chris. Thank you very much!

I had heard of things similar but had no idea how it worked. Now that you have enlightened me, I shall use your link and do some other research so I can be a "more informed" traveler! HaHA1

I did not want to waste too much time looking into something that does not exist anymore.

I appreciate it. Why do some of the "independant" sitesoffer them? I am not exactly sure what that means. Is it a amazon of travel type shopping site?

thanks for your information. Always a comrade to help me out here!

Although I appear to still not be getting alerts as of time indicated on the time stamp here. I am patiently waiting.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Al,

A friend of mine, a Mexican no less (nothing wrong with Mexicans certainly, but I just think of Lemongrass as something more Asian), turned me on to Lemongrass, and showed me how to make it into tea.  It's quite good.  I decided I wanted to start pursuing Indian cooking a few months ago, and visited a store in town that caters to Persian and Indian cooking, as well as other types of cooking proximal to the region.  I started to purchase a saffron sort of a grind, and the proprietor asked me if I wanted pure saffron.  I told him yes, and he told me it was expensive.  I said it was okay, and he grabbed this very tiny glass vial of saffron and showed it to me.  It was an extremely small amount.  He explained to me how to use it.  The saffron consists of these tiny (red, actually) fibers and you just use like one or two fibers per dish.  Quite something, really.  I think the little vial was around eight bucks.  Then a friend at work gave me some of her homemade masala, and taught me how to make my own.  She said, never buy the store stuff.  Anyway, Indian recipes aren't as easy to find on the internet as I thought they would be, so I'm planning to take an Indian cooking class at the local Adult Ed this spring.  You mentioned something about the very hot temperatured spices filling the tummy.  I don't know if that's true or not (perhaps so!), but I do know that hot spices can take an otherwise horrible tasting food (like bitter melon, which is said to have amazing healthful properties) and turn it into something palatable.

To you and Gem,

I am amazed and blown away at your detailed memories of the foods you've eaten abroad.  I remember some dishes, but have forgotten far more than I've remembered.  Typically for instance, I remember one time in Paris a few years ago, when my mom and I stumbled out of a metro station somewhere in the 5th or 6th arr.  Pretty sure it was the 5th.  We were completely lost, and on our way to dinner.  We found ourselves on a street that was very quiet, barely any traffic or people (if you can believe that in Paris).  After walking a ways, we found this small restaurant that was packed with diners, all French.  We figured if only the locals were dining there, then it must be good, or at least authentic.  We shyly wandered inside, afraid - after realizing that all of the patronage were French - that we might not be welcome, but the waiter was very gracious, and welcomed us.  I remember that we dined on delicious meals and good wine, even though the menu was all French, and my knowledge of French food words is not as comprehensive as I'd like to think it is.  It was a great experience, but - I cannot remember what we ate!  I'm not sure what this says about me, that I remember the experiences more than I remember the food.  Maybe it's a commentary on our ability to choose good dining establishments (and thus food quality).  Or maybe I need to eat more Gingko Biloba!

I do live about 3 hours from SF, however my fanship of the Forty Niners has been a very loooong time coming.  I moved here from So. CA. about 25 years ago, and I've only just come around in the past few years.  Same thing with the SF Giants.  These crazy SF fans, you know, over time they just wear ya down!  And I am very excited about the new crop of up and coming rookie quarterbacks in the NFL, among which is SF's Colin Kaepernick.  My other past (and present) NFL team faves is another long story for a slow day.

Cheers.

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

Shucks, Al, thanks for your kind words!  I haven't had time to really get into the badges yet but it's on my list of things to investigate.  I have to say I'm amazed at the things I learn from you all and just keeping up with the various threads has kept me quite busy.  Well, not as busy as you!

I have to say I've never gotten an e-mail like yours before; must be for only you special Platinum members!  They know we Gold members don't have the $$ to spend on Marriott Resort Vacations.

-Sledchick

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Al,

I am at Miami airport and waiting for my last flight to get home.  Had a great time and will add more to BA thread and start an Antarctica thread. 

Antarctica was better than I anticipated and I am really tired.  When we finished there, it took 2 days on ship in rough water and another 2 days to get home with time between connecting flights.  Probably another 12 hours before I get home.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...