19 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2013 11:53 AM by Sledchick Branched from an earlier discussion. Branched to a new discussion. RSS

A tip I'd like to share with you for consideration next time, disposable packing

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi californian-

I know you are in the throes of packing but here's a tip I'd like to share with you for consideration next time:  disposable packing.  When going on a long journey involving air travel, I pack some clothing items that are sort of "on their way out".  This could be anything ranging from socks that just don't come clean anymore, to a shirt I don't care for anymore, to a bathing suit that's faded, to underwear that has seen better days.  Nothing that I'd be embarrassed to wear in public (or private!) as I still need to look presentable and have my pride, nor anything that's fairly new that I could have donated to my favorite thrift store that supports women's and children's services.  I store this disposable stuff in a special bag in my closet and when it's time to pack I rummage through this first to see what might be appropriate.  Then after I'm at my destination and have worn this stuff, I toss it without feeling guilty as it's served it's useful life.  I now have room for gifts or other apparel I have bought on my trip, or maybe I just go home with a lighter bag.  This may not be for everyone, but it suits my frugal lifestyle just fine.  This weekend we'll be going to a hockey tournament in Vermont and I've done a bit of disposable packing which will be left at the TownPlace Suites (like my son's bathing suit which he has almost grown out of and has permanent paint in it from sleep-away camp).

I'm a newbie to Insiders and just wanted to pass along something I thought might be useful.  Best wishes for a fantastic trip!  And I hope you don't have to leave your new boots behind -- that makes me sad!  Safe travels.

-Sledchick

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: A tip I'd like to share with you for consideration next time, disposable packing
    californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Sledchick,

Welcome Newbie.  This is a great suggestion.  I have done this in the past and then moved away from it.  It is a great idea and I am going to begin again.

As for the boots, there is a possibility that I won't want to bring them home.  I talked to a person who was in Antarctica and he told me that after walking in all the penguin poop, you can't get the smell out.  If this is the case, they will definitely stay behind.  If not, I will see how to handle it like maybe wearing them on the plane.

Thanks.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: A tip I'd like to share with you for consideration next time, disposable packing

Um, yeah, I guess I would think twice about bringing those boots home too!  Enjoy your trip, californian!

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Sledchick,

As it turned out, I was able to bring my boots home.  I was careful where I stepped but still got some.  The ship had boot baths with brushed on each side and an additional brush to use to clean your boots.  They also had a disinfectant to step in before and after a landing.  The last landing was on a huge piece of floating ice which had snow.  They really finished cleaning the boots and then the cleaning tub and disinfectant.  I am going to clean them farther and will put them in a plastic bag to take to Alaska.  I will probably leave them there since I probably won't use them again after that.

I started 2 threads on my trip Buenos Aires and Antarctica - both have pictures.

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

Hey Sledchick ... that's some great advice.  We are off on a 3 month travel program and have to do some internal flights that have a very limited baggage weight allowance.  I am no trying to convince my wife that we should follow your advice and do some 'disposable packing'.  This would be a great tactic as our last port of call before we fly back to the UK is Chicago and I know that they have at least one Filene's!  We can restock Ts and undies for ourselves and the family there!

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Chrisf,  I also do the same with toileteries.  I never pack any. When I arrive I check to see what the hotel has, and then stop off at the local drugstore.  Only time this was a problem was Alaska, where I couldn't find a drugstore. Apparently they have none in Anchorage, and instead these items are to be found in the grocery store. and what I buy at one location, I just leave them there.  They take up too much room in the bag, and have a potential to make a mess, especially when flying with the changes of air pressure.

Hello chrisf-

Thanks for your post!  Your Ts & undies comment made me smile.  In Ireland I make sure to hit each Dunnes store that I can to replenish my husband's stock of the same.  I find the quality great, pricing to be a good value and they are really soft (TMI?).  Plus it's a fun store to shop in -- not exactly upscale but the people watching is fabulous.  I even had to buy two pieces of luggage there one time because I really outdid myself.  Best wishes for a wonderful travel adventure!  Oh, and I loved Filene's but they have closed.  The Filene's Basement hung around for a while but I think they are now defunct as well.

-Sledchick

alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Hi Sledchick!

I am glad to hear your weekend went well, and that your son had a good hockey performance. I understand where you are coming from because my girlfriend's son was very active with that sport for many years. He has let go a bit since he is almost done with college, but still gets together in a league once a week to keep up his skills and fun.

I have been somewhat hangin' on this thread as it has been pretty active with most of the members. I am getting too many alerts from a variety of threads right now to try and remember who said what where. It also seems to be where Californian has been responding to until she starts her Antarctica thread when she gets back. I have been working A LOT right now, so tonite I intend on giving her a good "drilling" about the things going on where she is down in South America right now. I am so excited for her, and llike Chrisf said "Jealous, jealous, jealous",  ha, ha!

I am glad to hear you have been learing a lot of things since you became so active on this site just a short time ago. Isn't everybody so helpful and fun?

I keeps me coming back. I realy look forward to coming to this site everyday. Somedays more then others based on my other other schedules.I am off work tomorrow, so tonite will be my big night to address things I have been meaning to do on here..

Everybody is so helpful here. Tonite I am going to post some links and things about joining the Cosmopolitan "Identity" in the thrad "the cosmopolitan has always treated me well" (LOL! - communitymanager stared it as a forum for that hotel to keep things centralized, which makes sense) but in the last 3 days 2 MRI members have sent me direct messages requesting info, so instead of duplicating my response to each of them singly, I let them know that I would post some stuff tonite.

We are all so happy that you have become an active and valuable contributor to this forum, and look forward to your future input here!

-Al Be Around

Hey Al-

Thanks for your kind words.  It's funny you should mention about looking forward to checking in on the site because after not being on it for a few days, I missed it.  I was actually excited to sign on this morning (and yes, I do have a life!).  You seem to be a pretty busy guy so if YOU look forward to it that says a lot.  Besides being so helpful, it really feels like a wonderful community of articulate, friendly people.

Regarding the variety of threads, I don't know how you keep up!  Especially with working so much.  I hope you enjoy your down time tomorrow (a cocktail perhaps?) and I look forward to the "Cosmo" commentary!

-Sledchick

Sledchick,

The favorite in our family is Marks & Spencer.

I was use to shopping at the store near the Grosvenor House Marriott, but has happily suprised to find they now have a store in St. Pancras, which makes it really convenient, to purchase items when transfering from Healthrow via the underground to the Renaissance St. Pancras and/or National Rail trains.

SledC ... I am now a worried man ... Filene's Basement closed!!! Please no!  We haven't been to Filene's B for a couple of years ... they seem to only be on the East Coast ... and we only did a week in Virginia without stopping in DC.  Yup, I agree with you on Dunnes ... it is a well used store for the family ... my wife's parents came from the East Coast of ireland near Achill Island.

Oh chrisf, your wife will not be happy.  Filene's originated in Boston and they are all gone now.  Some of the locations had been taken over by Macy's.  Has your wife shopped there?  I don't find it to be all that exciting but it is a very large department store chain with the latest and greatest.  Filene's Basement went the route of Chapter 11 and there hasn't been a store like it since.  May I also suggest a stop at Kohl's?  They discount heavily, especially on older merchandise.  I typically find markdowns of 80% and sometimes 90%; the item tags attest to this.  Not sure where your travels will take you but Kohl's is not all over the U.S.  If your missus loves bargains this may fit the bill.  Let me know if I can help you search for a store in a specific location.  But for higher fashion Filene's basement would win hands down.  Hope this helps.

-Sledchick

Depending on where in the country you are there are great outlets for designer items.  Below is a link to Woodbury Common Outlets about 1 hr outside NYC.  It was a favorite of one of my old bosses, and she would organize a shopping weekend with the ladies from all the various companies we use to work with, as it was very centrally located for most businesses in CT, NY, NJ & PA. The ladies would stock up annually for their workwardrobes.

The website has a list of all the stores, and there are also coupons to reduce the costs.  Each major city or region in the US has something similiar, though they may not be as large or extensive.  This one is so big, that even after 2 trips I never managed to cover everything.  Also, since I was shopping with the boss, it was heavily oriented to the stores she liked.

http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=7

What a pain, SledC ... that will hamper our 'refill the spare suitcase' plan!  I had promised my wife that she could refill on our final stop in Chicago.  When I was last there, they already had a big Macy's ... but I only found that to be a good price in the sales.  We've been to Khol's in many locations and, I agree, they are very good value.  There used to be a TJ Max next to one of the Filene's B stores ... it didn't have the quality of FB but it was better than the TK Max version in the UK ... I wonder if that is still going?  I am pretty sure that there was another good clothing discount store and I think that there is also a Nordstrum's Rack in Chicago too.   I am sure that the boss will find plenty!

Thanks for the fore-warning though ... it has reduced expectation.

Chris

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...