49 Replies Latest reply: Feb 9, 2013 5:57 AM by californian Branched from an earlier discussion. Branched to a new discussion. RSS

This Antarctica stuff is big time

californian Platinum 37 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Al,

raft in Antarticia.jpg

This will be me soon.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: This Antarctica stuff is big time
    alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

WOW. This is too much! you are like an explorer of the old world!

Good for you. I am very excited for you.

I cannot wait to hear about this. Are you using your gmail account right now?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Cali---Who are you going with on this adventure?

How awesome!

When is your departure dart, in the sense that you will be following this itinerary. (what date is day 1?)

That way I will be able to imagine exactly what you are doing by the day. This Antarctica stuff is big time!

I would like to have a martini made with some of the old ice down there.

I wish I was going. how long did it take you to plan the whole thing from interest in it to actual departure?

How many times a year does this company do this type of thing? I hear some portions of the year are better then others because of weather conditions.

Enlighten me a little, please!

-Al

Al,

I am departing Fri and will have an extra night before the official tour begins on Jan 27.

As I travel and meet people, we talk about past travel experiences and 2 people on the New England tour that I was on in Oct of 2011 had been to Antarctica and really liked it but when I listened to them, they went through a lot of discomfort and it did not appeal to me.  But reading that to be considered a "world traveler", one must have set foot on every continent.  I started to think about it and research trips, ships and prices.  I found that the tour that I am on was actually less expensive that booking the ship directly and I get much more and have someone to take care of me from the time I arrive in Buenos Aires till I leave including flights to and from the ship.  I had to get on a wait list since these are hard to get on. (They are already selling Jan of 2014).

The first sailings are in Nov but at that time, the ship may be breaking ice and some landings may not be possible.  This company does not go then but others do. The penguins are mating at that time.  If you are on these the icy land is clean.

Dec is better and Jan is the best time.  Penguin chicks are around and sometimes come up to people.  They can come to use but we can't go to them.  In Feb, most of the penguins are gone.

So Dec or Jan would be the best times to go.

I wonder if anyone will take some of the ice for drinks?

I like "Penguin Chicks"! In Pittsburgh where I live, that would mean girls who like the Pittsburgh Penguins Hockey team! LOL!

Seriously, I really think it is wild that the little chicks will come up to you. They must not have the inate fear of humans that other species have because they are not used to people running around on that Continent!

I don't know if the chicks will come up to me but it would be fun.  I was told that they think we are their mothers and come for food.  I guess when they grow up, they gain that fear.

With a million penguins and less than a hundred of us at a time, I doubt they get used to us.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Wow, Cali!!!  This is great!!!

You might be able to get some great photos for the National Geographic photo contests, too.

Isn't that the truth, Eb!

I will have to see what kind of pictures I get first but it is an idea.

Here are some from previous years.

Best News Pictures of 2011: Your Picks From Nat Geo News

those will be hard to compete with.

They will be or they wouldn't be in competition will all the thousands submitted, but I think you can do it.

There's an offer on the site, too.  Did you see it?

Get a FREE Ultimate Field Guide to Photography e-booklet. Sign up now to get our Photo of the Month newsletter and more.

Eb and Cali, is it my imagination, or is the picture in this link here under "Archived" where it says "solar storms, aurora...." the exact same one that GemPrincess uses for her avatar in here?

I cannot just be seeing things!!!

What are the chances?

LOL!  CHECK IT OUT!  Is that your avatar Gem? I have not actually looked yet, but I recognize the color scheme!

-Al

You are amazing.  I think you are on to something!  It sure does look like the same picture.

You are so right!!  Good eye!! 

I know. I am going to look into this photo comparison in detail when I get home tonite.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

It is the exact same photo.  So beautiful!  I hope that in March, Cali will see Northern Lights every bit as beautiful as this photo.  And someday soon, GemPrincess as well.  Speaking of Poles and frozen tundra, it appears that I left my warmest winter jacket at our hotel at the coast last weekend.    Will have to call them and see if they have it.  I am not headed to see any northern lights next month, but I am headed to the frozen Bavarian tundra, where I will most definitely need my jacket.

It would be great to see lights as beautiful as those.

Hope you get your jacket.

Al and Cal (I'm a poet and didn't even know it ), thanks.  Good news, I called and the Courtyard does have my jacket.  Um, more good news, I get to drive back to the coast to get it!

Someone suggested that I ask the CY to mail it to me.  The front desk mgr didn't offer that, so I figured better not ask.  I don't think they're in the biz of mailing everything that every guest leaves behind (although I'm sure it would be a boon for the shipping industry).  'S'okay.  Will just have to enjoy some more Central Coast Clam Chowder again this weekend.

(Someone also suggested that I get on Craig's List and put something out there like, looking for someone driving from Monterey to Fresno, type of thing.  Anyone ever hear of doing that?  Hmmm.  Dunno... )

I left my travel clothes at the JW in Beijing.  With a call and a credit card, they did ship them to an acquaintance of mine in a different Chinese city and her son brought them to me when he came to the US.

Cali,

Thanks for the inspiration.  I called, and they are going to Fedex it to me.  Really glad, because my grandma is in the hospital with the flu in AZ.  She's 97 and I think she'll be fine, but this makes it easier for me to make a kamikaze run out there this weekend.

If I understand correctly, tomorrow you begin your Antarctic adventure.  If so, have a wonderful, memorable and safe journey!

Pluto,

I am glad that it worked for you.  I am sure that we are not the first to leave items behind.

Yes tomorrow is my departure day.  I am washing clothes and doing last minute packing.

I have what used to look like a big suitcase and when I look at all that I need to put in it, it looks really small.  I can only take 1 suitcase.  AA will allow 70 lbs but the South American Airline will only allow 44 lbs.

Then I look at the list of suggested items and wonder how others do it.  In addition to all the warn clothing, regular clothing and personal items, I need a backpack, waterproof boots for the wet landings and hiking poles to assist while walking on the snowy ice.

That is a tough one, since you will need the cold weather gear for the Pole, yet it is summer in Buenos Aires, correct? (Oh yes, 91 today.)  Might have to wear your boots and layers on the plane, then take them off and stow overhead?  Not very classy, I know, but... best of luck.  I've never used those space bags, but many laud them.  Maybe you could put your cold weather gear in the space bags and then in the backpack along with the boots?

I was going to try to get by without shorts but 91 changed my mind.  I thought about wearing stuff on the SA airline.  They had something on TV about a man who put on 8 layers rather than pay the additional fee.

The big thing will be getting it all in that suitcase then I will worry about weight.

That is not very nice! I have had Marriott's mail me phone cables/chargers back before. I would call and say "well, since I am on my way from XXXX which is about xxxx away just to pick up my jacket...." just to pick up my jacket and see if they feel bad, or better yet, (and you could actually do this) would be to ask them if you could send a prepaid box to resend back to you, and either do it or see what they say.  I would still think Ms. Pluto, that it would less expensive then driving there. How far would you be going? Or would it be a nice trip that you would like to do? LOL!

Sorry. I am at work and did not realize that Cal chimed in, as I was trying to write this darn response for the last 3 hours. Sorry for the late suggestion!

Al,

So I chimed in and gave Pluto a suggestion that solved her problem.  That will teach you to get busy!

I know!  I have been busy at work, but not too efficient at multitasking today.

I am glad she got back her jacket with no sweat. I thought it was very rude to not send that to her right away!

You are just so nice.  No one expects an immediate reply on this site.  It is great that so many of the MIs are ready to share help to those who need it.

I find this a distraction from my packing.  It is looking better.  I will probably stuff clothing into my new boots for space.  On the way home, I will need another plan.  I might just leave my boots there but if I can bring them home, they will be used in Alaska.  Just thinking out loud.

Thank you for the nice compliment, Cali!

Californian. Please have a wonderful and safe trip. I am very happy for you. Do what you think best with your boots, but please don't leave them behind on the new continent to litter up the joint (I know you would not do that!)  Plus your feet would get awful cold on the ship ride back! 

I cannot wait to hear about this wild adventure, and you will need to have some badge made on this site to represent your "world traveler" status!

Godspeed!  - Al

Thanks.  I hope to.  No I would not leave my boots in Antarctica.  I would leave them in the city where the ship drops us off.

I have 2 other pairs of shoes to wear.  I can't believe that I got almost all of it in my suitcase and it only weighed 48 lbs.  I am only 4 lbs over what the SA flight will allow.  I should be fine till I remember what I forgot and go to look for a store.  Ha Ha  Like there is one.

I need to board my plane now.

Hi Cali. I see you are floating about on the forum here somewhere. Are you still in country?

Where are you destined for your first stop with a real bed in it?  Will you be out of country, or are you going to keep airport jumping your way south?

I am going to have to pull up your mini-itinerary. I bookmarked it.

48 lbs. is not much. You must have brought a lot of Thinsulate and lightweight warm stuff with you!

Al and MIs,

I am in Buenos Aires now.  Very little sleep since I left home.  I am trying to keep awake and will hit a real bed about 7pm and hope to sleep till 5 or so. The time here is 5 hrs ahead of my time.

I ventured to a shopping center across the street.  Almost no one speaks English and some know a word here and there.  The menus are in Spanish.  While sipping my Starbucks latte, I was looking down at the cabs.  They were lined up and when the first got a fare, the others pushed their cabs up to the next position as opposed to starting them and pulling up one car length.  They must be aware of the cost of starting and stopping the cabs.  Coming out of the mall, young children were begging for money, were persistent and started grabbing at people.  The guide warned us of crime and pickpockets.  She said they often work in groups and gave an example that someone would bump into you and get ice cream on your shoulder and a nice couple would come up to help and begin cleaning it off while you are being robbed.

By the way, I am dealing with a computer that talks to me in Spanish.  It is good that I enough  the MI site to know what to click on.

This is wild stuff Cal. I am at work but will comment shortly. Your description is so good that I have visual on this. Unbelievable, yet so intriguing!

Still waiting for your comments.

Another observation;  They have a doorman at the mall.  He opens the door for people going in and out.  I just figured that this is security.  He notices who is going in and probably stops those they don't want. There is another man in a suit half way in several stores down who just stands there and watches.  I assume that this is to keep shoppers safe.

My hotel also has a door man and from this, I think that this is also a form of security.  Now I think I know the purpose of a door man.

I am a people watcher and like to learn as I travel.

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

I hope that you are taking plenty of pics of your travels Cali.  South America is one continent that we have never visited and is definitely on the bucket list.  I must have missed part of this conversation as it seems you will be walking with the penguins ... Antarctica?  That's one place that is on my personal bucket list ... but my wife refuses to go with me!

Chris,

I am on a tour to Antarctica beginning in Buenos Aires for a short time.  I got in yesterday and will be leaving for the cruise Tuesday morning starting with a 6am flight.  I will start an Antarctica thread when post I get back and post pictures so those who might be interested can see it

We tend to have a lot of side conversations and they are not always easy to find.

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

Jealous, jealous, jealous!    My dream ... just soooo expensive!  Have a fantastic time!

I hope you get to go.  I am spending some of my son´s inheritance.

There are no cheap trips and I can understand why.  I will let you know if I think it was (when I get back) worth it.

I have continued this under Buenos Aires and will start a new one on Antarctica so they will be easier to find.

Al, it's about 330 miles RT, $45 in gas for my car, or $169 + tax and shipping for a new jacket, or now, thanks to Cal and CY (and you had you been faster, my fine friend! - just kidding), just a Fedex shipping charge (how much the fee is, is a mystery!)  A trip to the coast is never a bad thing, but now I can head east worry free to see my grandma, and get my jacket, all without taking time away from the office.

Could be much worse.  One time on a cross country road trip, I left my wallet at a restaurant in Flagstaff, and didn't discover my mistake until I pulled over for gas in Albuquerque.  That wasn't very much fun.

You definitely should be ahead.  I don't think Fedex would be as much as your gas cost plus there would be wear and tear on your car.

Ms. Pluto, i hope you get your jacket also.

I knew it had to be! It is not that I go around hunting for stuff, but as soon as I saw it, I remembered the color contrast, and then Gem's icon came right up in my mind. I have been spending a lot of time on here lately, and I only see so many icons and then BAMM!! , saw the lights, so to say!

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Cali,

Do they provide you with the outerwear, or do you need to bring your own?

They give us the jackets.  I think it is for safety so if we get off track, they can spot us.  We have to bring the rest.

Will start a new Antarctica thread when I get home.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...