8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 2, 2013 4:42 PM by kharada46 RSS

Carry-On

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hello MRI community!

I need your help!  I've been debating between a 22" Samsonite Hyperspace carry-on suitcase and a Travelpro Crew 9 21" carry-on suitcase.  Both are spinners and appear to be good bags, though the Samsonite actually appears to be a little too wide (14.75") to meet airline carry-on standards.  Has anyone had any experience with any of these?  I actually ordered the Travelpro from Amazon, but it won't ship till next Wednesday, so I still have time to cancel.  Thanks! 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Carry-On
    richard37075 Platinum

I don't have either of those 2 bags, but I have been very happy with my Travelpro two wheel roller 22".

Quick question for you though.  Do you travel much internationally?  If so, you might want to ensure the bags meet international max size, which is typically a 20" bag.

Also, you might want to consider purchasing thru the Marriott ShopMyWay Mall portal from ebags, or similar.  Ebags, for example, gives 7 Marriott points / $ spent.  They also have a low price guarantee.  I didn't want to fight getting a refund on my last purchase for the low price guarantee, so I opened the online chat, told them of the lower price, and they gave me a coupon code to beat the competitor price.  I bought a couple of bags for an upcoming trip to Europe, and wound up with 4,000 or 5,000 Marriott points and still got a great price.

Good luck.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thank you richard37075!

Very helpful information!  I don't travel often, but will be flying intra-Europe.  I didn't think to check with that airline to see what their allowance is.

I have cancelled my Amazon order, and per your recommendation will check out eBags and take advantage of their price match.  I used to order from them for AAdvantage miles, but never knew they did price matching.  Thanks again for the great info!

richard37075 Platinum

You are very welcome.  Since my wife and I will be also flying intra-Europe (LHR to CDG, and CDG to FCO) I had done a lot of research about carry on baggage sizes.  If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

richard37075,

That sounds like a great trip!  I'll be going CDG-BER-FCO.  Oddly enough, Air Berlin allows 21" carry-ons, but limits the weight to 6 kg.  That's so strange, as most carry-ons of this size weigh 9-10lbs, meaning I'd only be able to pack it with 2-3lbs of stuff!  Oh well, hopefully they don't check the carry-on weight! 

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

Between those two, I'd go Travelpro because they are probably among the best designed-for-the-job bags out there.  There's a reason you see flight crews using them nearly exclusively.

Something you might want to consider is eBags. Not only can you get a lot of terrific selection, comparison, and reviews about nearly any bag you can imagine, they have their own line as well. Theirs are inexpensive, durable, and well-designed for actual travel (as opposed to looking good in a commercial). I had an eBags five-year old 20" rollaboard that finally had a wheel begin to fail after about 600 trips and a half-million miles of abuse. I called their support line and their response was to just ship me a brand-new bag at no charge. I love those guys!  The eBags Brand - eBags.com

txnroses Platinum

I have had both........... I love the Travelpro............. and I bought it on ebags.

Thank you txnroses! 

Thank you jkernitzki!  I'll check out eBags!   

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...