27 Replies Latest reply: Feb 5, 2013 8:40 PM by superchief1 RSS

Which Marriotts have disappeared over the last year?

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We were in London yesterday having a bit of an explore.  We decided to walk from Victoria over to Spitalfields.  This route took us through Holborn and past what 'used to be' the Chancery Lane Renaissance.  I was surprised to see no Marriott or Renaissance signs outside of the building and, when I got home, I tried to find the hotel on the Marriott site ... it was not there!

Does anyone know when this ceased to be Marriott and why?

It was a really nice hotel and we had used it quite a few times.

This set me to wondering how many other high-profile Marriotts had disappeared over the last year?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, England, United Kingdom Renaissance Hotels
  • Re: Which Marriotts have disappeared over the last year?
    erc Platinum

Los Angeles Downtown Marriott and of course, sadly, the Hollywood Renaissance are two quick ones that come to mind.

On another note:  Slim Pickens as Major T.J. King Kong riding the ol' bomb in Dr. Strangelove

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I hope that NH is watching this thread!

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

easy enough to make sure nuhusker sees this thread!

Tryt ... that never seems to work when I try it ... is there something special that I am missing?

Well, in theory, the nuhusker tagging sends a direct email to him, telling him that he's been mentioned in a post and points him to it.  Now getting him to read his email is another thing.  Maybe I need to say the words "Open Sesame"?

Chris,

Now that communications are working again, I will try to add nuhusker again, to see if he sees this.  If that doesn't work I try "Open Sesame"

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Erc,

That was one funny and great movie!  Peter Sellers was way ahead of his time!

The loss of The Renaissance in Hollywood was a real loss!

Thanks so much for the info. and picture!

Chris,

Maybe Marriott should put out a list each year of the hotels that have lost their Marriott status, when then do the update each year, of which hotels have gone up or down in Category status.  What do you think NathalieF ?

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

I can look but I'm not sure how that would be helpful and I'm sure the situation with each hotel is somewhat unique. The hotel directory on Marriott.com would be the best place to browse locations.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

An example of how it may be helpful:

I'm thinking about visiting Salzburg.  It's on my bucket list.  Perhaps in about three years.  I check hotels, and there is a Marriott in Salzburg.  Awesome.  A couple of years go by, while in the meantime I'm traveling about, tending to the next stops on my list and calendar, and then finally Salzburg comes up close enough in the queue to start the serious planning.  As the serious planning begins, I'm excited (have already been looking forward to it in the back of my mind for a couple of years), and BAM! (or rather, POOF!)  The hotel is gone. What to do?   Not the end of the world (as Erc puts it, these are first world problems), but it just would have been nice to have known this before.

Marriott is very good about advertising new additions to its stable, especially in the quarterly mailings.  My thought is that it may be helpful for us to know when properties go the way of the Dodo in those same mailings.

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Dear Pluto,

If it is of any solace, it wasn't the greatest of Marriotts. Basically a conference hotel, and on the occasions I was there it felt exactly that!

Enjoy wherever you next put down!

A

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Hi Chrisf,

Not necessarily last year, but Honolulu lost it's only Renaissance at the Ilikai Hotel.  Now only a shadow of it's former glory, it used to be part of the Execustay system when part of the property was originally converted to condos.  This is no longer the case.

Also related was the Waikiki Edition.  However, angry & impatient owners executed a hostile takeover of the property, which is now known as The Modern Honolulu.  Very sad...  But a Ritz-Carlton Residences will be opening in Waikiki in a few years.  As well as a new CY out in Laie on Oahu's North Shore. 

Dear Chris,

I believe that it moved out of the Marriott "stable" at the beginning of 2011. And I agree with you; it was a pleasant establishment.

Others to have disappeared from the "list" within the last year are the Ren in Munich and the Leisure/Vacation Hotel in Bangkok. The Ren in Kowloon disappeared in 2011, I believe.

Best for now,

A

arkwright,

The loss of the Renaissance in Munich was another real loss!

It was a very nice property.

Hi Jerry C,

Good to make contact again.

Yes, it was a pleasant place, not least, I felt, because the rooms were relatively large. Last year, in conversation with another Marriott exec, I discovered the reason for this: it was built as an apartment block, not a hotel. By the way, it is now trading as a Pullman, in the Accor chain.

It is interesting to speculate on how and why hotels move in and out of the Marriott "orbit:

1. There must be some that Marriott is very happy to sever its links with: e.g. some of those gained through an acquisition (many of the Ramadas would come into this category, I'd imagine);

2. In some cases, the property owners may decide that Marriott isn't making enough profits; and therefore decide to give someone else a try;

3. In other cases - and I think the Munich Ren came into this category - the property might change ownership, and the new owners might be unwilling to invest in refurbishment to the level that Marriott felt compatible with its brand.

And so on...................................!

How are you summer travel plans shaping up?

A

Chris,

Another one I forgot to mention: the Sydney Marriott.

This is - in my view - a great loss, partly because I loved the establishment, partly because it leaves Marriott very thin on the ground in Sydney

As a parting line: this hotel is now trading as Pullman, in the Accor Group. In October last year, I received a phone call from the hotel asking whether I wanted to retain a reservation I'd made when it was a Marriott. Very efficient and polite, I thought - and then I realised it was 04.38 at night.

Best regards,

A

arkwright,

Good to hear from you as well!

Yes, I miss the Ren. Munich, but I miss the Ren. in Garmisch, Germany even more!  It was a lovely hotel, with a "Warm" staff.  When I stopped in two months ago, it had turned "Sour", poor service, atmosphere was radically different.  Can't remember what chain the hotel is now, but I would never stay there!

bikesdestroy Platinum 1 Reviews

The Residence Inn Slopeside at Whistler, BC, is gone as well.  It was a ski in/ ski out property just above the lifts with a beautiful lodge atmosphere.  I believe it's a Coast property now.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

The only ones that comes to mind are:

1) the Marriott World Trade which was connected to the World Trade and one of my favorite properties - used to stay at this property when working with Wall Street clients

2) Princeton orrestal Village Marriott is now a Westin - used to stay here when I worked with clients in New Brunswick.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I'm really not understanding this.  The string has turned from disappearing in the last year to disappearing, right?  Because I've had one on my mind that I've wanted to give, but the "last year" kept keeping me from it.  So here goes.

There was a Marriott in St. Louis, MO across the street from the Drury Hotel, I think it was.  I loved the view and being able to look out our window at the arch, seeing the water wheel boats parked just across the river, and seeing all the other boats going down the river.

We had reservations for it in 2005 when we went to take in the 5 states and 7 for my husband, but the hotel was sold to Hilton, I think, before we got there.  The reservation and rate would still have been honored, but it was gone as a Marriott. 

Properties seem to disappear, and then reappear.

Not certain what is up with that.

For instance, I use to use the Ft. Lauderdale Waterfront property for cruises for many years.  Then one year I went to book, and its no longer a marriott and I end up at a courtyard closer to the airport, but they still have the port shuttle.  Just today I look it up, and I see that there is a Marriott Waterfront property with a marina, but I am not certain if its the same one or not, so I didn't list it.

Definately confusing.

I just think that it would be helpful and informative if there was an annual 'hello/goodbye' list of hotels within the Marriott family.  I have often recommended hotels that are no longer part of the brand when a friend tries to book.  Not a big deal, but would be a nice piece of info to have readily available.

Sounds like a great idea!

Also seems like a tool that Marriott could make use of when negotiating as they could show how it influences customers to book and recommend when its part of Marriott, and how it will be avoided when its not.

superchief1 Platinum

The Marriott at Union Station (formerly a Hyatt) also changed hands this year and is no longer a Marriott.

artisttraveler Gold 17 Reviews

the old Scanticon property is now a Marriott and has been for awhile - now Princeton Marriott at Forrestal. Lovely grounds, nice lobby and CL but I felt it was time for the rooms to be renovated as of  2 or so years ago (maybe they have by now).

I attended a conference at the old Scanticon property back in the 90s and stayed there about 1 week.

When I 1st stayed there as a marriott I had a deja vu moment till I remember.

but there use to be one across Route 1 that is part of the shopping complex, and was extremely convenient cause you could walk to shops and restaurants, and that is now a Westin. We have alot of work offsites there, but I preferred it as a Marriott.

p.s. we rarely have our offsites at Marriotts.  I asked our conference organizers why not, and was told that the prices are much higher at Marriott and not very negotiable.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...