39 Replies Latest reply: Dec 29, 2016 9:16 AM by Travelzebra89 RSS

No Free Coffee at Courtyards

apple1977 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Found out today as a regular Courtyard Business Traveler, NO MORE FREE COFFEE.  This is something that I have come to expect and I hate Starbuck's coffee.  Looks like I have to reevaluate my hotel of choice.  Hurts as a a business traveler I have come to make Courtyards as my home away from home and love the new lobbies.  Any thoughts or suggestions from those like me that are Folgers and 7Eleven regular coffee drinkers???????

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Salt Lake City Airport
Manassas, Virginia, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Manassas Battlefield Park
  • Re: No Free Coffee at Courtyards
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Hi Apple,

I stayed at a CY in Nov. and again at one last weekend.  Free coffee in both the lobby and the room, both properties.  Did you see this in writing somewhere, or was it one specific hotel?  Please provide us with more info.

If you're not getting free coffee at your CY, then I would recommend trying Mc Donalds.  Mc Donalds coffee is a bargain, and it's not bad!  Great for road travel.  My Dad says they give discounts to seniors (although I'm betting from your Insider's name that you're not quite there yet).  Thanks for posting.  Hope to hear more from you.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

When I stayed at the Glenwood Springs CY, I was told that when they put the Bistro in, they eliminated the free coffee since it was not available all day at the Bistro, of course for a price and it is Starbucks.  Another negative of having them.  I will pass this to my CY contact for consideration.

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

The free coffee in the lobby is generally there until about 10am, or should be, anyway. At least it has been in every CY I've been to. As far as the Bistro, I'll go to a real Starbucks if I want their coffee.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

I don't stay at CYs,unless that is the only Marriott brand available at my destination as I do not like the format.

I just stayed at  the RI in Rosslyn VA (listed as Arlington in the directory), and met some old friends I have not seen in years.

We sat up all night in the lobby talking and drinking coffee.

While I am not a coffee drinker normally, my friends are, and I had no complaints out of them to relocate to Georgetown where the cafes are open to 4 am.

Am in a Full Service Marriott this weekend for far less money than any of the CYs in the area.  They have coffee in the lobby, a CL that is closed but I was given coupons for breakfast in the dning room, a fantastic pool, lovely lobby area.

Was just reflecting on how the Full Service Marriott experience comes closest to the Marriott experience I have been acustomed to over the years, and how much better it is than any of the brands, including the upscale ones like Autograph, Renaissance, Resorts, etc.

I get more points and benefits here, and I don't havve to manage the situation, by calling in advance, ask for it, escalate while here.

Breakfast Buffet was fabulous, very high quality and healthy with lots of fresh fruit, scrambled eggs, omlettes made to order, ;perfectly cooked sausages, bacon, ham, etc.

Given all this, why would I want to go anywhere else?

raviation Platinum

No free coffee in my regular Courtyard and I'm torqued. I now have to stand in line with everyone ordering breakfast, people on vacation, people who don't have to worry about time. The coffee in the room is horrible and there is no cream or Splenda. Major inconvenience. May have to rethink the brand.

It is with genuine sorrow that I say to you, "Welcome to the club."  Up until recently, Courtyard used to be a really great brand.  I hope Marriott will soon see the error of it's ways, and restore the brand to it's original splendor.

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/74162#74162

I hope you are right but fear that it is wishful thinking.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

We can hope they see the problem and reverse that decision bu I fear they will not.

mi97tbird Platinum 33 Reviews

I Use the CY in Baton Rouge and no free coffee there either. Very sad.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I had one last CY reservation in my upcoming stays.....it started last night. How silly it is that this brand, with corp Marriott support, has done something so dumb. The "coffee area" is still there, but now it's like a junk catcher for what ever accumulates...really???  The one in this hotel has a printer that doesn't seem to be hooked up... a few newspapers....a dirty rag (two days running)..

It makes one think that this money grab wasn't well thought out. Boy, how I hope, they will realize what a BAD decision this was and don't let their collective egos get in the way of reversing course.

By the way.....2011  21 nights at CYs, 2012 22 nights at CYs...2013 8 nights to date, none will be planned going forward. The other Marriott brands will keep my business, but I'm shifting CY stays to Holiday Inn Brand properties. I feel it is wrong on principal to reward the lost CY stays to other Marriott brands.

Maybe the message will get through if enough people complain, though given past experiences there seems to be no real incentive for CY to change at all.

Too bad that another one is dropping out of CY. 

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

apple1977,

Agree, I don't like Starbucks, when I order de-caf, they always are out and look at me like I am a "Freak".   I just want a cup of black de-caf!

CY, has made a big mistake, but my only choice it to go somewhere else.  In SLC, it was a wonderful RI, right next door, free de-caf!

Location Brand Hotel
    Salt Lake City, Utah, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Salt Lake City Airport

I agree Jerry--

I am not a Starbucks fan either, I find the waits intolerable at most of them, the coffee extremely strong and not that good either, and the concept so 20th century!  And the prices!  United Airlines first started serving them many years ago on their planes as a "premium coffee" and that should have been the red flag that our cups definitely were running over.

Here, out west we have a German-owned chain, started locally here in NO RCAL called Peet's, which still makes great coffees and great decafs too. They were sold about a year ago, but rumor is that the deal was brewing a long time

Like Trader Joe's, which is also in the hands of a German owner, (Aldi), I see Peet's taking becoming a  national chain but never losing their local flavor (pun  intended}.

Maybe we should see if there's a huge German holding company willing to take over Marriott?  It has worked for these two, and in my opinion, the changes wrought by the new owners have not spoiled the brands, but intensified their quality and broadened their impact in the US.

Beans you say?  Not really.

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

anadyr: your post about s-buck$$$ is right on. They now have Blond Roast to get people back, but in my view, too little, too late. Their coffee is so bitter because they have the beans roasted (secret formula) way too much, which basically singes/burns them and then when ground, they give off that flavor. While they may start with high quality beans, they roast the life out of them. And in their stores, the lines are interminable, I would rather go to DD or McD and not have to wait and get a nice, smooth, good tasting cup o'coffee.

And, as to Courtyards, I have shunned them for years as they didnt have free breakfast for Plat/Gold, they rooms were clean but Spartan, and I would rather go to a property that had amenities, even a RI, TPS or the like where the wifi was free and rate included breakfast, which Courtyards didnt have or offer or charged for.

I always opt for a FS Marriott/Renaissance when available, then I go to a TPS or RI, and skip Courtyards, and now that it seems they have made things worse, I will definitely not be staying at those properties.

They do not understand the art of roasting.

Anadyr,

I had Peet's in Abu Dhabi and Frankfurt.  Not bad.  It's slowly growing.  I see that the German ownership is new.  Another fine proprietor of the roasted coffee bean, although you wouldn't see it here in the west is Gloria Jean's, based out of Australia and is worldwide (over 30 countries).  GJ sort of lost it's way here in North America at one point and has been fighting it's way back.  The parent company, Praise Int'l (Australian) also bought out It's a Grind (which you see on the west coast).  Really good coffees.  Great teas.  I hope the leadership of the company continues to stay the course that was set by their last CEO, but I fear not.

But I digress (and apologize).  Bugger the CY brand of today, it's bistro concept, in-room single brew cup modules and lack of free lobby coffee.

I have a Peets close by and it is not my choice.  I am a Starbucks person.  However, I like espresso drinks.

I had a brewed coffee from the Bistro and it was luke warn and had been setting so long that it was bitter.  Serving Starbucks coffee is not enough, the shops have strict standards that they must follow and Marriott does not follow the same so it is not the same.

Just flew Alaska Airlines and they serve Starbucks coffee and I was able to get freshly brewed decaf and it was a real treat.

Digressing again.  Alaska Airlines is my favorite airline for their free coffee in the gate areas and free Oregon and Washington beers and wines on all flights.

I also cannot help myself from saying that while in the UAE last month, had Turkish coffee for the first time.  I love, love, loved it!!

I did not find free coffee in the gate area even with a delay of over an hour on one segment.  I wish they did have free coffee.

Cal,

I misspoke.  Perhaps it's only at Alaska hub airports.  It's not offered in Fresno or Sacramento (small potatoes), come to think of it.  I have definitely had it in Seattle.  And set up in close proximity to a Starbucks outlet to boot.  Also, there are many gates that service Alaska Air at the hub airports.  And then too, perhaps it's gone the way of the Marriott Courtyard... must investigate this next trip.

I had 2 1/2 hr in Seattle on the way and did not notice any free Starbucks coffee.  I may have missed it since I didn't know to look for it.  I did have some but I paid for it at the stand.

On the way back there was no time to look.

I love SeaTac airport.  The central area is quite pleasant with the huge glass wall for watching the planes take off and the park-like setting, and I prefer it over the airline lounge.

I do too.  I think it is my favorite of the hubs.

Well, Starbucks has a following and die hard fans too. When I am on the Cape I spend too much time getting Dunkin's, the Turbo is great!

Peet's is a good roaster.  One of the best is a wholesale only brand called "Peerless" which if you can find (served at Fairmont's BTW) is exceptional.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

anadyr,

Right on!

Will look forward to trying Peet's, have not heard of them before.

I like Trader Joe's, but I feel that I should have "Dyed hair, piercings, tatoos, or more" to shop there!  ( I have none of them).  They are nice to me, but I feel like they are "Looking at an antique" as I check-out!

Love their surfer mentality here at TJ's, and yes there is a  Bohemian feel to the staff, but they are all n ice to me.  One thing I admire is there no questions asked policy on returns. And they have gone into the adult beverage business, rolling out a new Bourbon and Blended Scotch, making them really "full service." I forgive them for adjusting the two buck Chuch price upward to 2.49. but that's reality for you.

Dollar for dollar they have some of the best stuff around.  The Aldi chain, which bought them. essentially leaves them alone to do their own thing, and to grow with the infusion of cash from Germany.  One of the owners stops by one of our two TJ's, when he's playing PB and just shakes hands, that's all.

Ah yes, hands off management, would that it were everywhere.

rbbird Gold 1 Reviews

Yes they may have started this at Springhill  saw this at the Savannah Airport location as well.  you need to try the Hampton Inn or Holiday Ins both have good coffee all day long.

packfan Gold 8 Reviews

Just stayed at a CY and received absolutely nothing as a Gold elite member - no upgrade, no coffee, charged for parking. No more CY`s for this business traveller!

rbbird Gold 1 Reviews

Yes I to am gold to but the gold keeps declining in value.  Perhaps its the new Marriott CEO.  Have you also noticed   that it has been awhile since they had any new promotions. I would not expect any more free nights in the near future so as a result of this plus their new cancellation policy it makes me realize its time to move on as their are other compettive programs out there including Hilton and Holiday Inn.

tfreeman98 Platinum 13 Reviews

I like the look and feel of the Courtyard brand, but the lack of free breakfast for elites, many times, will nudge me in a different direction.  I have thought this was a mistake ever since the free breakfast (but not at Courtyard) program was announced.

702rugbyref Platinum

No beuno!

702rugbyref Platinum

No beuno!

chcummings Silver

Just stayed at a CY in Manassas VA. No free Coffee in the Lobby. Starbucks large was $2.32 + tip at the bistro. They did have those low cost coffee machines in the room.

Location Brand Hotel
      Manassas, Virginia, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Manassas Battlefield Park
        nationwide Platinum

chcummings, thanks for sharing.  This, unfortunately, is now the "brand standard" at Courtyards everywhere.  No lobby coffee or tea.  Marriott recently surveyed us about our in room coffee preferences here on Insiders, ostensibly to raise the level of service to meet our expectations.  However, many of us get the sneaking suspicion that they may try to pull a fast one, and take away our complimentary coffee like they did at Courtyard.  For so many of my colleagues, this would be a deal breaker... they can't brush their teeth or tie their shoes until they've had their first and second cup of joe in the room, no matter how bad it might taste.    Thanks for posting - we look forward to hearing from you again!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Spoken like a true Marine...."cup of joe"!

insertcoffee Platinum

It is now (as of Q2 or Q3) apparently also brand standard not to have all day lobby coffee/tea in RIs. YMMV depending on property and what their infrastructure is like (some places can't actually turn off the hot water as it is part of a larger unit, etc. ).

This is not a change I like.

Travelzebra89 Member

Mmm that not good!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...