32 Replies Latest reply: Feb 20, 2013 11:41 AM by californian RSS

Buenos Aires

californian Platinum 37 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Visited Eva Peron´s grave.  Recoieta Cemetery looks like the one in New Orleans.  All is above ground.  Will post pictures when I return.

According to the guide, the people either love her or hate her.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Buenos Aires
  • Re: Buenos Aires

Passed by the Marriott and was told it was the first international hotel in Buenos Aires.  It was built in 1906.  (according to tour guide)  It is across from a park and looked nice.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I ventured to a shopping center across the street.  Almost no one speaks English and some know a word here and there.  The menus are in Spanish.  While sipping my Starbucks latte, I was looking down at the cabs.  They were lined up and when the first got a fare, the others pushed their cabs up to the next position as opposed to starting them and pulling up one car length.  They must be aware of the cost of starting and stopping the cabs.  Coming out of the mall, young children were begging for money, were persistent and started grabbing at people.  The guide warned us of crime and pickpockets.  She said they often work in groups and gave an example that someone would bump into you and get ice cream on your shoulder and a nice couple would come up to help and begin cleaning it off while you are being robbed.

By the way, I am dealing with a computer that talks to me in Spanish.  It is good that I enough  the MI site to know what to click on.

Another observation;  They have a doorman at the mall.  He opens the door for people going in and out.  I just figured that this is security.  He notices who is going in and probably stops those they don't want. There is another man in a suit half way in several stores down who just stands there and watches.  I assume that this is to keep shoppers safe.

My hotel also has a door man and from this, I think that this is also a form of security.  Now I think I know the purpose of a door man.

I am a people watcher and like to learn as I travel.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Californinian,

Thanks for sharing this most interesting information.

Have never been South of Mexico City and would welcome seeing what you are sharing.

Probably would have to do it on a cruise.

Thanks so much, and keep the experience coming.  Send pictures!

Last day in Buenos Aires, took another short tour.  It is an interesting city and different form most others.  Eve Peron is big now and being commercialized by many.

Peoplewho come here frequently say that it has really changed the last few years.  The crime rate is on the rise.  People are warned about not putting anything in your outside pockets and women should hang on to their purses. Don't wear jewelry!  Don't go down side roads. Lots of counterfit money.  The advise is to pay with small bills so little or no change is given.

The buildings look somewhat European.

Will post some pictures when I return.

pluto77 Your suggestion was appreciated.  It has been hot and I have been wearing shorts.  Today will be the last so in dirty cloths bag.

alrenaissance I opened a different thread to make it easier for others to find who might be interested.  After today no Internet till I get to airport on way home.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Glad it worked out.  Enjoy your southern hemisphere summer days.

alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

OK Ms. Californian. I shall be eagerly awaiting your reconnection.

-Al

This is very interesting, in that Peron is more popular then ever. I wonder why the bad social things (like rise in crime) are happening?

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

SA has always been know for its inflation hence currency devaluation for those that are working, and a very high unemployment rate.  Most of the countries don't have a social safety net either.  There is no right to legal counsel, and if imprisoned, food & laundry is done by the family, not the prison. Studying SA history is a challenge, due to the number of government changes, military involvement, etc. There is a very wide gap between the haves and have nots, that gets wider every day.

Many see Madonna when they think of Eve Peron.  That movie and the Broadway play brought her to the public eyes.  We were told that the people either love her or hate her.  She would allow people to come to her and tell her what they needed.  Eva would make a list and put orders in to factories, etc for the needed items.  When the factories would try to charge the government, she would tell them that they had to do it for free.

Inflation is still really bad.  The guide told us that it was not that long ago when if you borrowed $5,000 you would owe $20,000 2 days later.  The wages don't go up.  The government is working on trying to curb inflation.  Now if you buy a house you would pay between 25 and 30% interest.  To the people, this is great because you have a fixed rate and can eventually own a home.

Say one bought a house for $100,000 at 25%, the payment would be $2085/mo and over 30 years you would pay $650,383 in interest.

Love the pictures!

Thanks.  I have now started my Antarctica thread with more pictures.

Have a business dinner to run to but am looking forward to seeing Antartica after dinner!

I tried to post some to give an idea of what there is to see but will add more on request.

alrenaissance To help you find it.

Thank you for the head's up! I will be looking over your stuff all night Cali.

NathalieF  I took a short video of tango dancers.  Is there a way to post it from my picture file?

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

If I'm understanding correctly, a still image from the video should work for your profile photo and/or avatar. But the video format will not. Feel free to email me the file and I can try to help further.

I have some video of the tango demo.  I will try to send it to you.

I tried to e-mail it and it could not go through.  I am not sure I have the right e-mail address.  Please send me an e-mail and I will attach the video and return.

Hi Cali!

I intend on scouring your photos and stuff this evening. I have been away for work, so have not been on the forum here much.

I will be checking out all of your threads here over the next couple days. Thank you so much for not forgetting about me, by including mentions so I know where to find you. I think I have them all!

I am very excited, so I hope you broke out the good stuff. Love the plane photo where you were seated in that nice little entertainment cubicle class. Kharada46 loves it too!

Be talking to you over the next couple days

Your buddy, - Al

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...