7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 2, 2013 6:46 PM by jkernitzki RSS

CY Washington DC Convention Center

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

This place is a bit of an odd bird for a CY. While they have the expected Bistro and faux Starbucks, there's 24-hour coffee in the lobby (still), and a CL with complimentary breakfast and evening noshes here on the 10th floor. Yes, you read that right, a Courtyard with a concierge lounge. I was planning to stay at the Ren nearby as it's about a 45-second walk from my corporate HQ where I'm working from this week, but they were booked solid so I ended up here. Only about a ten-minute walk, and I got a suite out of it, too.

Lobby staff seem fairly attentive and pleasant; I checked to see if there is a contracted rate with my company (we have that with a number of properties in the neighborhood with folks coming in for visits from all over the globe) but while they had none, they're hooking me up with the Marketing Director. Nice.

Room's a little plain, but clean, quiet, & roomy. As I'm on the inside of a "U", my only view is to rooms directly across from me. Not a big deal, really, but it might've been nice to be able to see more than a sliver of F Street and the souvenir shop across the street.

I'll update this thread as I discover anything else to particularly make the property stand out one way or another.  Until then, have a pic. As you can see, It's nice enough, but not striking (get a suite at the CY Seattle Downtown/Pioneer Square and you'll know what I mean):

P1000046.jpg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Washington, D.C., USA
  • Re: CY Washington DC Convention Center

Oh, this gets better, boys & girls.

The Bistro is only open in the mornings from 7 to 10, so evening meals must be taken out of the hotel. As much as I may despise the entire Bistro concept, sometimes time, weather, and budget dictate that I really don't have better choices remaining.

The "Concierge Lounge" is pathetic; imagine the worst full Marriott's lounge and you'll start to get a feel for this empty, sad little room. Luckily, room keys tend to fail in the door more often than not, which is actually a good thing in this case.

Oh, the lobby coffee was apparently removed today because it doesn't meet "standards." So now I have to leave the hotel just for a cup of joe (and you know me, the in-room sock juice isn't even an option).

Right now, I'm feeling like calling this a Patio by Marriott. Looks like a CY, but not quite. Other than location—and not even that so much—there isn't much here for me to positively recommend this property.  It's pretty much an overpriced Fairfield.

I have no issue with the staff, everyone has been positive, attentive, and at least up to the minimum standards I would expect, but they've been handed a pretty poor operation by the franchisee, IMHO.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

jkernitzki,

I stayed at the same Courtyard once about 6 years ago on a weekend.  I found the staff friendly and accommodating and I was also upgraded to a suite.  Other than being a suite the room really wasn't that special. I remember the hotel was in a good location as far as being in walking distance to the metro and other points of interests.  Also If I remember correctly the hotel has a Gordon Biersch attached to it which is one of my favorite restaurants.  If you haven't already you should give GB a try.

I ended up eating at GB three of my four nights, but not because I like it; I don't. Between the lousy weather and my basic cheapskatedness, it was simply the easiest option. If the Bistro was open in the evenings, I would've eaten there, most likely.  For that class/style of restaurant, I'll take a Yard House or Rock Bottom, hands down.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

jkernitzki,

Sorry you were dissapointed in Gordon Biersch.  I havn't eaten at that particular location but have eaten at many other GB locations and never been dissapointed.  I'm surprised you indicated that you liked Rock Bottom since it is owned and operated by the same company that runs Gordon Biersch and their menus are very similiar.

I will admit that the artichoke appetizer isn't bad; in fact, it was the best thing I had there (counting their beers). For the record, I like very complex, malty ales (like a bourbon cask conditioned red or stout, or a Belgian doppel- or trippelbock). You know, the kind that goes better with chocolate cake than potato chips. That's the difference between GB and RB; the former has a short line of mostly lagers while the latter actually will have real ales on tap.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Have not stayed at this hotel, but thank-you for the information!

The best part of this area is dining in Chinatown!

Jerry, at the end of it the only real positive about the property was its location relative to everything (and the rate I got couldn't be beat). The Ren on Ninth was my first choice, but alas, even my double-secret PP override and copious whining wouldn't budge them.

My final evening was luckily planned as such, else I would've considered bailing on the place sooner. That night two of the three elevators were either out of service, or just behaving badly. A round trip from my room on the tenth floor and back was a ten to fifteen minute ordeal. The card readers throughout the property were dodgy all the time, there was nearly always two or three guests getting cards reencoded (including me, twice in four nights). The loss of the lobby coffee was never resolved before my departure, and there was no sign, notice, or explanation (much less apology or alternate arrangement). The Bistro inexplicably only being open for breakfast was decidedly irritating; as much as I basically hate the place, it's on the property, it's marginally affordable, and I can have a beer or glass of wine and a little "social" time without the local yuppies doing their mating rituals at the other neighborhood establishments.

Luckily, I rarely have to visit the "mother ship" of our corporate HQ, so by the time I get back to the swamp that is our nation's capitol, I can hopefully secure more suitable lodgings.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...