13 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2013 8:22 PM by GemPrincess RSS

Boston or Bust!

alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

I was wondering if somebody could illuminate me as to the best Marriott property, for 2 days leisure coming up in Boston next month. I would like to be in as close to the Copley Plaza area as possible.

It has been some time since I have been up in that area. Copley Plaza would be nice (and from what I remember it is close to Quincy market where I could take a little sightseeing walk to hit-up an oyster sandwhich or 2.

I appreciate it, as always.

-Al Be Heading to Boston

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Boston/Foxborough, Massachusetts, USA
  • Re: Boston or Bust!
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Hi Al

My preference is Marriott Boston Long Wharf.  I understand Marriott Custom House is also very nice.

1. It's on the Harbor.

2. Very nice Concierge Lounge

3. it's on the harbor

4. walking distance to Freedom Trail. Oneth by land twoeth by sea.....

5.walking distance  to fabulous Italian restaurants.  Try the Daily Catch (cash only)  just blocks form the hotel.  One of my all-time favorites. North end Location on Hanover street.

I've stayed there several times and have enjoyed each trip.

shoeman

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thanks Shoe. Sounds good. I have done the USS Constitution (COOL!) and the Destroyer that is next to it.

I like the advice for touring that Pevers has turned me on to.

Mt question to you is:

"Do you know of any hotels near the harbor?"

Just kidding!  The place you indicated sounds great. I shall call tonite!

Thanks!

- AlVino

pevers Platinum 2 Reviews

I wasn't aware that the Copley Plaza was a Marriott hotel. There is a Marriott in Copley Square across Huntington Ave from the Copley Plaza. Is that what you are referring to? Nevertheless, neither is in the immediate vicinity of Quincy Market. Quincy Market is about 2 miles, a 30-40 minute walk. However, there are the Custom's House and Marriott Long Wharf, both about 5-10 minutes away from the Market.

The Copley Square area is a great place to walk around. Nearby Newbury Street is full of boutiques and upscale restaurants. It also has the advantage of being right on the T, which can get you to Quincy Market in 15 minutes and allows you to quickly  get to other places (Cambridge, Museum of Fine Arts, Beacon Hill, etc.).

No matter what you pick, enjoy. As a Boston native currently living in the Mid-West, I love when I can get back to the city.

Hi Pevers.

Thank you very much for the quick response. I was not sure if there was any Marriott in the area, so I was not really referring to any one specific, as I was not sure about any locations at all.

What you and Shoeman have suggested sound reall good for what I am looking for.

I can certainly see that both of you really know what you are talking about. I am excited about going there for just 2 days. I was in Boston before, but it has been at least 8 years. There is so much cool stuff to do in your hometown, all of it very enriching. Of course the history is exceptional.

I remember going to the New England Aquarium. What a nice place!  I could spend a lot of time there again. I love zoos and aquariums. One year, I made zoos and anything like it the premier thing I wanted to do in my travels. Where I live in Pittsburgh, UsAir had a whole bunch of non-stop, regularly scheduled flights that you could get dirt cheap when seats were last minute left open. You also had to be willing to jump on the plane on a Thursday or Friday and return Sunday or Monday. I mean CHEAP. I was jumping on flights every other week and hit everything I could that was aquarium or animal related to any degree. Whatever had flights available, with one day advance notice! It was so fun to never know where I might be heading, and then BAMM!, the next day I am off!

I hit zoos (or aquariums) in one year in

:

Washington, D.C.

San Diego

Boston

Columbia, S.C.

Seattle

Dallas (which the last minute flight was $119.00, roundtrip, first class, non-stop,)

Pittsburgh (my home, but it was my part of "year of zoos!" LOL! )

Denver

and at least a half dozen more!

Well I can see I got sidetracked, AGAIN!, but I would like to thank you and Shoeman1000 for the good suggestions, and helpful tips.

I was pretty sure somebody here could refresh my memory, and sure enough, here you folks come!

I can always Use another little pointer or two if anybody else is feeling generous!

Thanks again, Pevers, - Al

erc Platinum

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/mesOffer.mi?marrOfferId=789104&displayLink=true

Check in Friday 2/15-  check out Sunday 2/17   Marriott's Custom House

$164 one bedroom villa right where you want to be - very nice property

Book 'em danno

That is great ERC. Thank you very much!

Done deal. Looks like the property is all me! I appreciate the link and hook-up.

Have you done this professionally? LOL!

Actually, have you stayed at this property before?  Thank You.

erc Platinum

Glad it worked out for you. Stayed there a couple of years ago one night on the way to the Cape to watch some college baseball. It has an observation deck that has terrific views - check it out. The lobby is very interesting, the game room is fun, and there is history all around you. There's a good write up in this forum (I read it before I went)  http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/4652#4652     and Trip Advisor has some good stuff also. Enjoy

PS - Thursday: Valentine's Day dinner in Pittsburgh;

Weekend romantic getaway in Boston

You'll be a hero!

What a great rate as well!

curiousone Platinum

My wife and I spent a week at the Custom House and loved it. It is in a great location with a T rail station right outside the front door. We are walkers, so we were able to walk to the North End for Italian restaurants. (Be careful some of them only take CASH.)

That makes me feel even more excited curiousone. Thanks!

I do remember that some of Boston (Including QuincyMarket, I beleve) likes to deal in cash specifically. It is the American way, afterall! HaHa!

I will remember this,

My girlfriend and I are walkers as well. I do remember that last time I was in that area I stayed at what I believe was simply called the Copley Plaza Hotel (? If I am correct?) and it had 12 foot high vaulted ceilings, and was very nice. It was a little pricey as it was right in the center there. I also remember I did the "T" thing at night and there was a lot of homeless individuals who were asking me for cigarettes, money, etc., but that was past 11pm.

No real problems for me though. I am a fairly big guy. I think I actually walked from the Plaza to Quincy, and stopped and saw Ben Franklin's (amongst others) Grave Stone, and other fun and interesting things along the way. Very neat stuff for me, as history is another of my 2209 hobbies.

What a historic and neat little town. I love this kind of stuff.

Now with the help of my fellow MR Insiders here, I have a nice home base picked out with which to plan my little adventures.

I am excited!

Thank you very much for your helpful input. I appreciate it here on this boring Sunday night in Pittsburgh.

curiousone Platinum

Al

Big or small, we all need to be careful when we are out and about. I live in downtown Phoenix so I am used to most of the homeless, although some of them can be pretty scary. I am actually planning my vacations this year based on light rail transportation being available. Spending a long weekend in Portland in April and using light rail from the airport to the Courtyard in downtown Portland. Spending a week in Seattle in May and taking the light rail to the Marriott Waterfront. Spending 3 days in San Francisco in July to celebrate my birthday and will take the BART from the airport to the Marriott Union Square. I wish San Diego would get their light rail to the airport.

That is quite a light rail transit schedule you have set for yourself. I think that is great!

A form of transportation which is sound in so many ways, yet is often overlooked by many people.

The homeless are not so much scary, just intriguing. Sometimes a few may get obnoxious about asking for money, etc., but for the most part a very harmless group.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Sounds like fun!

I love rail travel!

Was actually thinking of seeing how many rail systems I could ride without getting on the Amtrak, e.g. CT Regional train, to NJT Regional train to SEP (PHL regional train).

Some how there is this big gap between PHL and Baltimore, or between  CT Regional and MA train to the south shore.

If only they were all linked

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...