12 Replies Latest reply: Feb 11, 2013 5:57 PM by kharada46 RSS

Category 1-4 Hotels/Award nights....usage

exmarlin21 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Category 1-4 Hotels/Award nights....

The Marriott Rewards program gives a member multiple ways to rack up free nights (megabonus, credit card free night, quarterly promotions, etc.) but these free nights are typically Category 1-4 stays.  For example, I earned the max 3 free nights in Q4 2012, will do the same in Q1 2013, and have the credit card, giving me 7 free nights in Cat 1-4; I am guessing that anyone approaching Gold status or higher can easily claim the same.  Woo hoo, you say....but not so fast....

Here's the question;  Where do you use these rewards?  I can't find a decent Cat 4 or lower hotel in San Fran, San Diego, really anywhere on the water or at any sort of 'destination'.  I always like to use my reward points to take a special trip with my family; payback for all of my time away from them.  Sure I can use points for that, but these 7 free nights seem mostly useless in that regard. Again, no 'destination' type properties at the Cat 1-4 level.

So here are my questions for the community:

1.  Anyone experieincing the same frustration?  I am thankful for the free nights, but can't exactly figure out how to use them.

2.  Anyone have any hidden gem category 4 hotels they'd like to recommend?

3.  Can I use these award nights to put up family and friends locally at a Courtyard, Springfield or Fairfield; e.g. HS graduation this summer, folks coming to town, can I use these free nights for them?

4.  Any chance Marriott will offfer Cat 5-7+ rooms in their promotions, so that we can use them to travel to actual destination spots?  I would happily take 1/2 the free nights at higher category properties.

I appreciate any inputs, thank you!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Category 1-4 Hotels/Award nights....usage
    sg1974 Gold

This discussion should give you some ideas as to where others were using their category 1 - 4 certificates:

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/9874

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

exmarlin21 Platinum

thanks very much for the link!.

Any input re: using the certificates for family and friends if they come to town for a visit?

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Haven't stayed at either of these properties, but Hawaii has 2 category 4 properties:

Hotel Kailua-Kona | Courtyard King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel

Maui Airport Hotel | Hotels Near Maui Airport

The second location isn't anywhere near a beach, but puts you in a great location to explore the island from.  Both aren't what you'd call destination properties either, but hey, category 4 in Hawaii? 

exmarlin21 Platinum

appreciate the hawaii guidance.  I might be able to make that work.  any input re: using the certificates for family and friends if they come to town for a visit?

exmarlin21, if you're lucky enough to have a decent cat 4 property around, then you could make the reservation for them under  your name.  That way you can earn points & elite nights for any paid nights stayed beyond the e-certificate nights.  But, doing this means you'll have to be there to check in and check out. 

queenv11 Silver 1 Reviews

I have a couple category 4 nights stay, and have looked in so many places that I wanted to stay, and all are 5 or over,

have offered to pay a little more to stay, but no can do!  Bye-bye Marriotts reward chase card!

nanaglo45 Gold 3 Reviews

If one is flying in or out of LAX or visiting the LA area in general, the Renaissance LAX is quite a nice category 4 hotel in my opinion. I have stayed there several times over the past few years, once just hooking up with my daughter who flew into LAX and I drove down from my home 4-1/2 hrs away. They have a nice concierge lounge and a most hospitable staff. It is a smaller hotel than the nearby Marriott LAX and has a quieter atmosphere.

nanaglo45 Gold 3 Reviews

Oops, now I see that with the new rewards categories coming in May, the Renaissance LAX will be going up from a 4 to a 5 which does not surprise me. But, bummer, nonetheless. I think our Mega Bonus offers should change those certificates to Cat 1-5 since most everything else seems to be getting upgraded...

Agreed... with the changes, I am no longer able to use the Mega Bonus or the MR Premier Visa certificate near home...

j_turok Platinum

I have been able to exchange the certificates for points in the past. Call customer service for your tier level. This way, it is not just limited to Cat 1-4 but also have more than a yr to use.

nanaglo45 Gold 3 Reviews

Wow, I didn't know that this was a possibility. As soon as I earn my next Cat 1-4 certificates, I'll check to see if this can still be done.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...