2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2013 3:11 PM by aziz RSS

Houston Icon (Autograph)

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Well, if you like the more boutique/unique aspects of the Autograph Collection(*), you might want to check out the Downtown Houston ICON.

• Nice, large room (I enjoyed a deluxe king, or something like that);
    • Comfy bed, attractive beddings, functional work surface/desk, very high ceilings, great windows comfortable lounging chairs, etc.;
    • Spacious, splendid bathroom - large, comfortable shower plus a full-sized whirlpool (which I never tried), with a pass-through sliding shutter separating it from the main room - wonderful toiletries (from the in hotel spa, which I did not try);
  • Interesting lobby with the signature bank vault behind the check-in counter;
  • Smallish, quirky elevators;
  • Free coupon from Monday morning breakfast buffet, but (alas) no concierge lounge;
  • Attractive, interesting restaurant - the Line & Lariat - I hosted a couple folks for dinner and dessert - the restaurant was quiet, but the food and service were quite good - everyone enjoyed it;
  • Very convenient for downtown stuff
    • easy walk to Minute Maid Park (the baseball stadium);
    • easy access to the Main Street trolley service;
    • easy walk to most of the downtown office buildings;
  • Obviously, it's a bit of a destination hotel - there was a wedding going on when I was there;
  • A little bit quiet and/or ghost-town-ish part of town, particularly at night - a couple blocks away from the taller buildings, and almost nothing open nearby on the weekend - just a few blocks from the courts (and the many, unique bail bonds businesses).
    • * As a general rule, I've been impressed with the Autographs I've tried - even if it's a limited sample of three - we've enjoyed the Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas (and there is extensive discussion of that property on this site), and I also enjoyed the Brown Palace in Denver.
  • I posted some photos from Herman Park - which has been dramatically improved since I was last in Houston - and some other downtown stuff at Houston's Herman Park, and...
  • Two other Houston tidbits:
    • For early and late flights out of Houston's Intercontinental airport - which is way out of town, in contrast to the more convenient Hobby Airport - I'm a big fan of the airport Marriott, which has a (very convenient) underground tram direct from the hotel into the terminal.
    • As an experiment, I took the Houston METRO bus from the airport to downtown;
      • right outside of the baggage claim area;
      • $1.25 versus $55 for a taxi or $25+ for Super Shuttle (and no tip);
      • slow (basically an hour), but scenic drive; and
      • dropped me within two blocks of the hotel.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Houston, Texas, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Houston Airport Marriott at George Bush Intercontinental
Houston, Texas, USA Autograph Collection Hotel ICON, Autograph Collection
  • Re: Houston Icon (Autograph)
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

IAH isn't way out of town, well at least not for those who live here!!! 

Thanks for the review, we're go to see Elton John and was not sure about the Icon or not as we usually stay at the CY Downtown which is a short walk to Toyota Center, but I may have to change my hotel for that night.  Can't be driving up past the way out of town airport to get home some 20 miles past that point!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Houston Icon (Autograph)
      aziz Member

I wish to record Ajaba those beautiful words

Accept the assurances of my highest consideration and appreciation