82 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2013 3:32 PM by profchiara RSS

Off Season in Europe

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Has anyone travelled to Europe for leisure in the off season?  How are the crowds/lines?  This is primarily for Paris, Disney Paris, and Rome.

Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Paris, France
Rome, Italy
  • Re: Off Season in Europe
    sg1974 Gold

Disneyland Paris attendance: how is it?

this may give you some information on Disney.

we visited a few years ago over the weekend during the busier time and it was very crowded.

i would advise to visit during the week. If you are there when it is school holidays then it will be busier.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thanks for the info sg1974!  Man, looks like we'll be there in the middle of the autumn holiday season.  We arrive in Paris on the 5th of November, and will go to Disney from the 11-13th!

sg1974 Gold

it looks like it will be busy then!

maybe the park hours will be longer?

plan to be there early, or if it is closing later stay till close.

Good luck, with plenty of planning you should be ok.

Thanks sg1974!  Will do

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

KH,

Don't worry about the temperature then as much as prepare for rain!

Have alternative plans if it is stormy!

alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Hopw lomg are you going to be there

I have been to Paris several times, but never into Disney. They probably have the multi-day pas available, but I would imagine you guys will only be going one day as there is so much else to do.

The Louvre is super interesting. Since you are really into restraunts, I personally would not waste my time on the actual dining in the Eiffel tower  Not like it is horrible or anything, I just don't dig the time spent waiting to go up. Also saw a purse being snatched while I was in line there during my last trip, and suddenly paramilitary type ploice came running out of the side area with submachine guns at night and grabbed the guy. Had no idea why they were there, like if they are always there or something. nice little side distraction while waiting I guess (?????)

Just saw you are doing 3 days ar Dosney. They have some multi-day pass from what I understand, which would probably be good for you during your time there.

Hi Al,

As it stands, we'll be in Paris at the Renaissance La Defense for 5 nights, then will spend 2 nights at Disney.  I plan to avoid doing too many touristy things, as you are right, it is a complete waste of time!  But, that's interesting!  Dinner and a show huh?!  I've heard that the restaurant there isn't really worth the price though... Jerrycoin has made some great recommendations for dining in Paris, and I have even consulted famed local chef George Mavrothalassitis of Chef Mavro in Honolulu.  He originally hails from Marseille, though he visits Paris at least once a year.  Unfortunately his recommendation was WAY out of my price range! 

Got any recommendations??

Duinner and a show? HaHAHa! I LOVE IT!  Too funny.

I will have to refresh my memory and look at my old charge statements to help me remember. Main reason is that my French is terrible, I have little motivation to learn it, therefore almost all of the names sound similar to me.

Seriously, I will come up with a few, but I would trust Jerry without much question. he would not steer you wrong.

That's ok!  My French is awful!  I really need to brush up on some!  And learn some German & Italian as well! 

But thanks!  I look forward to seeing what you have to say!  I plan on taking Jerry's recommendations too!  Hence I had to pickup a new suit recently

Al,

Thanks you for that comment!

The results of an experience may not be what I suggested, but I would never suggest any experience that I was not comfortable with.

Again thanks, look forward to that refreshment you are going to treat me to!

KH,

There is no reason for you to go and spend money way out of budget!

There are so many places you can dine and enjoy in Paris that are wonderful and reasonable.

Again, go to some of the previous posts, and if you have specific questions let us know!

Al,

You are giving KH very good advice!

KH, please forget about dining at The Jules Verne in the Eiffel Tower.  It is a major wast of time and money.  The worst escargot I have ever had at $100 per appetizer.  The same goes for Seine River dinners.

If you want to have one expensive, memorable dinner go to La Tour d' Argent.  If you want something less expensive, but memorable, let me know.  You could consider The Grand Hotel, (By the Paris Opera), it to is a wonderful place.

Please try to find my dining suggestions on previous Paris postings and review the photo's of The Eiffel Tower.

Let me know if you have specific questions!

Hi Jerry,

Thanks!  I'm assuming temperatures are going to be down in the 40s-50s?  That's very cold for me!  It's in the 60's right now in Hawaii, and we're COLD! 

Anyhow, I remember you telling me about La Tour d'Argent!    I plan on checking it out for lunch one day!  I'm also considering a Guy Savoy restaurant or a Joel Robuchon restaurant.  Would love to try one of each of those, but highly doubt I can afford it!  I've also got your excellent recommendation for sole meuniere from that carnival/circus themed restaurant.   

Is there anything else I absolutely must try?  I know there's a famous ice cream shop I want to check out and of course we'll need to sample crepes, galettes, and macaroons!  Oh, and croissants!  I remember the best croissant I've ever had was one in Paris many years ago! 

sg1974 Gold

This was a good affordable restaurant we visited last time: http://www.restaurantcarteblanche.com/

the menu was written on chalkboard. lucky for us the server we had was english.

But you can copy the menu they have on line and put it into google translate to give you an idea of the dishes.

If you are going to visit the starred restaurants then at lunch will be more affordable.

Rubuchon's restaurant in London is very good, so i'd assume the same would apply in Paris.

Thanks for the tip sg1974!  Interesting menu.  Very nouveau type of cuisine?  I see a lot of asian influence in there. 

But yes, I'm trying to keep my starred visits (if any) at lunch time.  Right now the contenders are the excellent Robuchon, Guy Savoy's LES BOUQUINISTES,, and Taillevent.  I don't think Les Bouquinistes is starred... other than that, I've also been consulting Anthony Bourdain's travel guides from his Paris shows.  Difficult decisions to be made!! 

sg1974 Gold

There are so many options in Paris.

You need to concentrate on the type of food that you like, personally I prefer modern cooking.

Here is a link that might help with your decisions:  http://www.andyhayler.com/restaurants.asp?country=France&show=city

Nice!  I'll have to read through that guide when I get a chance!  Thanks for the awesome tip sg1974! 

kh,

I met Guy Savoy at his place and it is a short walk from The Renaissance, but you had better be prepared for one expensive meal, before drinks.

You might consider having one "Splurge" meal and if was me it would be La Tour d'Argent, and ask for a window table!  Try to make it in right before they cut off the Lunch time and start preparing for dinner.

Some other places you will want to take "Someone Sweet":

IMG_2309.JPG

This is a wonderful place for specialty foods!

IMG_2394.JPG

This is one of the finest places to get some gifts to carry home!  Just down the street from the hotel!

IMG_1618.JPG

KH, will have plenty to share with you prior to your trip in November!  Never thought I would say "Keep Warm" to someone living in Hawaii!  Aloha!

KH,

These places are close to The Renaissance AdT, you will just have to take a short Metro ride to the AdT and head East.

We will have a real simple plan for you prior to the trip!

jerrycoin,

Thanks for the great recommendations as always!  WIll actually be at La Defense!  Managed to get into a junior suite, so I'm pretty excited about that!  I'm pretty much planning on going to La Tour d'Argent.  Bought a new suite now rather than later to use on the trip!  But I'm still thinking of going to Guy Savoy's lower cost restaurant Les Bouquinistes.

Not sure if we'd do lunch or dinner for this one, as I think the prices are the same either way.  But beyond those two, I have your Sole Meuniere that we'll need to check out too, and will be in search of good crepes! 

KH,

Go for it!

Don't forget if you want beef, you will find none better for the price at Relaias du Venice!

Thats the only thing on the menu!

Will have more prior to your visit!

Jerry,

Thanks!  I look forward to it! 

Al,

I have been there many times and always enjoyed it!

There is only one think on the menu and that is sliced steak.  You could order it rare, medium, or well.  It came with wonderful French fries and a great salad.  The price was around $25 and that included a nice carafe of vino.  The lines can be long, as they do not take reservations.

The location is by the RER station not far from La Defense (Port Malliou) 

KIF_0893.JPG

IMG_0293.JPG

Daytime shot! Sorry about my buddies head!  Will have more for you prior to your trip!

Sounds good!

Very nice.That will work everytime!

I always have problems with decent beef in Europe. Mostly London, but occassionally Paris.

No room to run cattle on them there little farm fields. HaHA!  No "free range" beef over there, as they have no range on which to roam free!

HA!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Once again, I must concur on all representations provided by Mr. Jerry on all aspects that were aforementioned and as deemed relevant. By point!!!!

Al,

I agree with the poor beef, if you don't know the place!

If I suggest a place, the beef is good to great!

Al,

You are right, I would never recommend a place that would not be appropriate to someones "Taste and Budget"!

Travels are so much different when going places with "Friends" or "Family".  Budgets are always important as well, and I try to avoid "Big deals not worth it"!

In London, I would put the beef at this place up agains anyplace, but it is Not the most expensive, nor for everyone.

IMG_1401.JPG

Simpson's in The Strand, a wonderful place to dine!

Speaking of budget, have you tried McDonald's in France?? 

I generally don't like eating at McDonalds too much, especially abroad, however, it is interesting to see regional variations!  I do love the HOT fries w/seasoning packet they used or still do serve in Japan!  I regret not trying the shrimp burger though...

Speaking of Japan, I've read that Wendy's sales foie gras burgers in Japan for under $20, as well as a porcini & truffle grilled chicken sandwich.  Not sure if this was a limited time offer. 

KH,

I really don't have anything against McDonald's, try not to eat there, but do admire their consistency and value.

Two of their places really impressed me:

Monte Carlo:  What a place to enjoy their food:  I think they prepared it to order, it was not cooked in advance.

Paris:  The breakfast, close to The Renaissance Vendome was memorable, and I loved the statue of Joan of Arc, nearby!

01-19-2013 03;12;32PM.JPG

Jerry,

The Monte Carlo looks delicious!  What's your favorite place to eat near the Renaissance La Defense?  Our flight arrives around 9:30AM, so I'm guessing we'll get to the hotel by around lunch?  Most likely be pretty hungry by then I'm guessing! 

KH,

I was mentioning the McDonald's in Monte Carlo is very, very nice.  No pre-cooked food!

Now the statue of Joan of Arc, is on Rue Tivoli, not far from the Louvre.  I always thought it was beautiful and just a short, half block from a McDonald's in Paris.

BTW, when you get out of the train or Metro and walking to La Defense, you will see a huge shopping center on your left.  It is full of nice, inexpensive places to dine.  Here's the first place you will see, and it is pretty good as well!

KIF_0879.JPG

Jerry,

I see.  Will have to check it out then!   

I've got a difficult question for you... My fiancee doesn't like history much, but doesn't mind sightseeing so long as its interesting/nice, and doesn't require a history lesson to appreciate.  Given this, what are some must see/must do items for Paris?  Will probably do lunch at La Tour d'Argent per your recommendation.  We'll definitely go to the Eiffel Tower, though we probably won't go in it.  I want to go to the top of the Arc de Triumph, if the lines aren't too horrendous...  

Thanks again for your always excellent info! 

KH,

Will have more for you later, as I am in Scottsdale and having a problem here at The RI, and will need to get it resolved.

However, you will not have a problem getting to the top of the AdT.  The lines are usually not long, and move fast.

The Eiffel Tower is another matter, during the day it can be a long wait.

I will have more information for your GF and you, along with pictures later today!

Aloha, for now!

Jerry,

Mahalo Nui Loa!   

I hope you get your problems resolved quickly and to your satisfaction!  Good luck!  Look forward to hearing back form you later! 

GABill Platinum

If you want to get into some more recent history, The beaches of Normandy hold a lot of American history. They are approx 2 hours by bus from Paris. While there, visit the American Cemetary and the Tapestry of Bayeux.

Thanks GABill!  Sounds wonderful, but the mrs. doesn't care much for that kind of stuff... we see though! 

GABill Platinum

I understand completely. I did not think my wife would like it, But she was much more affected by the Cemetary than I was.

Also, you have to take time into consideration, save it for next time.

Enjoy!!

KH,

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you!  Not a good day when a dog starts barking below you non-stop at 6 AM practically till now!

Have never experienced this, ever!  Who would leave their dog alone and just go away?

Any rate,  Here is some information to share with you, and I will have more details as the trip gets closer:

*     Get your RER/Metro pass at CDG for the time you will be in Paris.

*     Take the RER to La Defense and check-in (Request an early check-in and make sure you see the room first!  Request a corner room on the 10th floor)

*     Have a nice lunch nearby at the Galleria.  They have everything from a food court to regular places to dine.  English is not a problem, and there is a great "Cafeteria" on the second level of the shopping center, "You can literally see what you want to eat, and point to it"!

When you decide to go to The C-E, it is easy, just take the Metro.  Go down the steps, stay right, and then go down more steps and as long as you stay right, you will be fine.  The Metro begins here, so there is one every few minutes.  It will take you about 15 minutes to get to The C-E.

*     From the C-E, take a nice walk, see it all!\

Recommend:

The Louvre

Eiffel Tower

Night cruise on the Seine (Don't do dinner on a boat)

Monmartre

Notre Dame Cathedral

Left Bank and Latin Quarter.

Before I saw any of these, I would buy a the Parisian Tour Bus (Right on the C-E, just down from the Marriott), and sit back and just ride around the city.  Just see what you want, get off, if you like, and just get comfortable with what you really want to see in detail!  Google, Paris L'Opentour, it is a wonderful value!  From anyplace in Paris, it is pretty easy to get back to the hotel.

The Renaissance has a great CL, nice breakfast room (The Californian Room), for a buffet that is excellent and will save you plenty of money.  The CL has been open 24/7 but only serves at certain hours, but is a nice place to relax and get our of your room.

KIF_0878.JPG

When you come up from the RER/Metro, stay to the left of The Arch, and walk to the Renaissance!

DSCN0067_0053.jpg

It can be very crowded at The Eiffel Tower, so go early or go late, and avoid the tour busses if you can!

FH040020.jpg

The Latin Quarter is just across the river from Notre Dame, and a wonderful place to begin your walk to The AdT!

DSCN0081_0067.jpg

This is the view you will have looking down the C-E, from the top of The AdT!  You will want to take a picture of you too from here with The Eiffel Tower behind you!

DSCN0083_0069.jpg

Like this! (Please excuse the outfit on my lifelong friend, Best Man, and classmate in grade school, at Lutheran High School South, and college room mate), He's a great guy, and now retired teacher!  We had three wonderful trips to Paris, a place he thought he might not like, now it is his favorite place to go!

KH,  I am now going to dinner at one of mine and the great "SS's", Lon's at Hermossa Inn!  Will have a toast to your trip, and look forward to hearing back from you.

Jerry,

Thanks so much for the great recommendations and wonderful pictures! 

That's awesome that you're have a friend like that too!  From grade school till now!   

By the way JC, a dog?!  The RI allows dogs?  That's awful that someone would bring a dog and let them bark that long... I truly hope you have a better day today! 

KH,

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you!  Not a good day when a dog starts barking below you non-stop at 6 AM practically till now!

Have never experienced this, ever!  Who would leave their dog alone and just go away?

Any rate,  Here is some information to share with you, and I will have more details as the trip gets closer:

*     Get your RER/Metro pass at CDG for the time you will be in Paris.

*     Take the RER to La Defense and check-in (Request an early check-in and make sure you see the room first!  Request a corner room on the 10th floor)

*     Have a nice lunch nearby at the Galleria.  They have everything from a food court to regular places to dine.  English is not a problem, and there is a great "Cafeteria" on the second level of the shopping center, "You can literally see what you want to eat, and point to it"!

When you decide to go to The C-E, it is easy, just take the Metro.  Go down the steps, stay right, and then go down more steps and as long as you stay right, you will be fine.  The Metro begins here, so there is one every few minutes.  It will take you about 15 minutes to get to The C-E.

*     From the C-E, take a nice walk, see it all!\

Recommend:

The Louvre

Eiffel Tower

Night cruise on the Seine (Don't do dinner on a boat)

Monmartre

Notre Dame Cathedral

Left Bank and Latin Quarter.

Before I saw any of these, I would buy a the Parisian Tour Bus (Right on the C-E, just down from the Marriott), and sit back and just ride around the city.  Just see what you want, get off, if you like, and just get comfortable with what you really want to see in detail!  Google, Paris L'Opentour, it is a wonderful value!  From anyplace in Paris, it is pretty easy to get back to the hotel.

The Renaissance has a great CL, nice breakfast room (The Californian Room), for a buffet that is excellent and will save you plenty of money.  The CL has been open 24/7 but only serves at certain hours, but is a nice place to relax and get our of your room.

KIF_0878.JPG

When you come up from the RER/Metro, stay to the left of The Arch, and walk to the Renaissance!

DSCN0067_0053.jpg

It can be very crowded at The Eiffel Tower, so go early or go late, and avoid the tour busses if you can!

FH040020.jpg

The Latin Quarter is just across the river from Notre Dame, and a wonderful place to begin your walk to The AdT!

DSCN0081_0067.jpg

This is the view you will have looking down the C-E, from the top of The AdT!  You will want to take a picture of you too from here with The Eiffel Tower behind you!

DSCN0083_0069.jpg

Like this! (Please excuse the outfit on my lifelong friend, Best Man, and classmate in grade school, at Lutheran High School South, and college room mate), He's a great guy, and now retired teacher!  We had three wonderful trips to Paris, a place he thought he might not like, now it is his favorite place to go!

KH,  I am now going to dinner at one of mine and the great "SS's", Lon's at Hermossa Inn!  Will have a toast to your trip, and look forward to hearing back from you.

kh,

I love dogs, and have owned five great ones as an adult.  Sometimes they are smarter than their masters!

Will have a post on the subject after I get off "Vacation"!  I can't get anything done, while on a holiday!

Stay in touch!

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi Kharada,

Hands down, my favorite historical site in Paris is La Sainte-Chappelle, on the Ile-de-la-Cite just the other end from Notre-Dame. It's small and popular, so it's best if you have a museum pass or reserve in advance.  The bottom level is beautiful but the top is breathtaking. Built as a giant reliquary for the Crown of Thorns, the stained glass seems not even to be held up by stone walls.

ProfC

GABill Platinum

Listen to the professor. It is stunning.

Thanks profchiara, that sounds like a wonderful sight!  Will definitely check it out! 

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi Kharada,

I think someone recently posted photos of the Sainte-Chapelle on this site, but if not do a google image search and you'll see what I'm talking about.  I want to throttle students who have spent a semester in Paris and never found it.  (You can combine a ticket with the Conciergerie, with its turrets on the L bank, and which houses the places where Marie-Antoinette, Louis XVI and Robespierre were kept before their executions.  It's quite fascinating and there are several full-size mock-ups. Enjoy!

GABill Platinum

Jerry,

KH also asked about Rome. Since all of my Roman adventures are strictly business, and since I consider Rome a "newspaper" city (when riding in a taxi, hold the newspaper so that you can't see anything happening outside), I really cannot advise to well about this city.

Bill

These are really nice pictures. Very revealing. Just like the movies!

I love escargot!!

I actually have found some places that have all you can eat.

60 at a sitting is no problem!

I do the same on cruises also. I will get 5 or 6 plates.

HA!

Garlic, yeah!

60?!  Wow!  That's an amazing amount of snails!  Gotta try that in Paris too!  Had some here, but not very good... way too salty!  Almost forgot about that!!  Thanks for the reminder! 

Good stuff Kyle. One of my favorites. I have not had any salt issues.

6 months ago in Florida I had them with mashed potatoes, leeks, and champagne sauce. KILLER!

That sounds really good!

Al,

You must be "Vampire Free", with all of your "Garlic Tales"!

When you come to St. Louis we will go get some really good escargot at "Herbies72" in the Central West End.  They will treat you like a VIP (Which you are).  And you will have to ignore all the beautiful ladies and music and concentrate on the snails!

Thanks Jerry!  I had my "dinner reservations", so to say, about outright recommending the Eiffel Tower dining option.

I had to share my goofy experience there!

I have had some other "goofy" ones in France also. Paris in particular.

Since this is a "family" forum, I will not explicate too much.

LOL!!!

Actually, not that bad, just GOOFY!

Al,

You sure did not get "Goofy" on the food or the prices!

Actually, I do believe I got goofy on both!

Al,

We can't do anything about the past (I have done so many Goofy things}, but man, no need to do it again.  Look at it this way "Who cares".  Enjoy it "Your way"!

"Your Way!" Like Burger King. Now, my qestion is "Where's the Beef!" LOL!

I hear ya Jerry about the beef stuation.

I think if the French had more quality beef in their diet, they wouldn't keep getting themselves into trouble militarily over the last century, if you know what I mean!

Whoops - nothing against the French, just something I heard. I would't want them to withdrawal from N.A.T.O. or anything. Oh yeah, they never joined. Nevermind.

Al,

We can't change the world, we can only enjoy it!

I know Jerry. I was just teasing anyway.

I am pumped up for a "fun"  yet "cold" weekend here inthe Burgh'.

Only like 5 degrees out, and I am getting a brain freeze! Ouch!

Seriously thinking of heading to the Marriott Airport tomorrow night to use the indoor pool, have a toddy, some crab cakes, and then a pretty good breakfast on the house.

They are nice to me out there, know me by name, and give me a really low rate as they know I live 10 miles away, and are just going out there to hang out. Certainly it is cheaper and safer then "going out on the town".

They always have at least 2 weddings there every Saturday night, and I always seem to meet some interesting people who help liven up the place.

The shuttle runs until 1 am, and will drive the girlfriend and I down the street to play a little pool (billiards, lol!) with some of the locals.

Not a bad little time a dozen times a year or so.

All I can do on short notice since I don't have anything fun to do like Californian heading to Antarctica!  It will have to suffice!

Shall check in later. Still waiting to get a St. Louis confirm. Should know by next Friday.

Hope you have a nice weekend!

- AlRenaissance, Sr.

Al,

Having stayed at the Airport Marriott, I too found it delightful!

Sounds like a really good plan on a cold night.

Am headed to Arizona for a week and will stay in touch.

Let us know how it goes for you this week-end!