7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2013 1:44 AM by eb5147 RSS

just dont understand

boone2283 Silver
Currently Being Moderated

why did i get a room for 10,000 points last week this week it is 240,000 points have they lost value and earning new points is faster i just dont unserstand

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: just dont understand
    alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Where are/were you? I think you may be looking at the cost of a block of night vs. a single night. In general, if doing consecutive nights on points, the cost per night in respect to points should be lower overall. There are exceptions of course. If you tell me which hotel or property you are refering to, I can get you the answer you are looking for fairly quickly.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

verne Silver 1 Reviews

You got me interested in the outcome. Was this a confussion between a block of nights verses a single night? Or was it one of those exceptions you spoke of?

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Base Points are a factor on the price of the room and your expenditures.

For Full Service and Resorts its 10 points per dollar spent.

If I stay at a property and get a AAA rate of $98/nite one week, but the following week there is no discount rate, and a convention in town so I pay $300/nite, then my points will be vastly different.  In addition, I will get 50% for my Platinum status.  If I eat my meals in the hotel in a restaurant, or have food delivered and they charge my account, I get points on this as well.

So how much you are spending on a daily or weekly basis, can result in drastically different points earned.

johnl Marriott Associate Gold

Hi boone2283,

Are you referring to the amount of points you earn from a stay, or the amount of points it costs to redeem for a stay?

Thanks,

JohnL

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Did you actually have to use that many or was that the number posted on the reservations site?  I ran into that same thing for a hotel in NYC last week and everyone thought I was crazy, I think.  The next day, the points showed to be the correct amount.  I think they often have trouble with their posting amounts on the reservations site.  I've run into it several times now.  If it seems too outlandish, try checking back later.    

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

I had 2 stays that posted incorrectly, both though with a complicated reservation, as I tried using Points + Cash, but the cash rate is the option for none, and I wanted to use either a AAA or corporate rate which was lower so had to make 2 reservations.  When this happens, they record one, and ignore the other.

That is when I called Platinum Support and was surprised to find its a new number with new people

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Boone2283,

What did you find out about the 240,000 points?  Were you charged that many or was that the number of points posted on the reservations site at that time?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...