16 Replies Latest reply: Jan 26, 2013 10:49 PM by kharada46 RSS

Flying Business Class from NYC to London and will return from Paris

jimaruba Gold 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Any preferred airlines for business class flight?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Flying Business Class from NYC to London and will return from Paris
    californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Try to get on a 777.  They are all new and the seats are more comfortable.  American has these and they lie flat.

From what I have seen the 747s are old and less comfortable.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

I second that!  American's new business product on their 777-300ER looks amazing!  Get on one of those flights if you can!

I am scheduled to travel on one of AA's 777s this Friday.  I am in business but am still trying to get into first.  I will report back after I return in Feb.

I look forward to your report!  Hope you have a great flight! 

I was just put in first so I can only look at the business class.  I flew first on the 777 when I went to China and it was really nice.  They refer to what they assign you as your suite.  You have like a cubicle and of course a seat that becomes a bed.

Awesome!  Which 777 are you on anyhow?  Is it the older 777-200?  I found out a few weeks after booking my flight for November that some of the routes I could have been placed on for my Business class awards flight were upgraded to the new 777-300ER with lie-flat sleepers and isle access from every seat in business!  This would have been the DFW to LHR segment... oh well! 

I am on the 777-200 for all 4 segments according to Flight Aware.  The last time I was on the 777 was over a year ago and then the business seats did not lie flat.

From what I read, they intend to upgrade all the international and cross country domestic aircraft to have sleeper beds in business.  You have a long time and with luck you will have the upgraded aircraft.

I will try to remember to see if the business seats on my planes are new.

Ah, I see.  That's ok, the Flagship Suite looks like a great product!  I envy you

I hope our flight can get an upgraded interior.  Wonder how that will work though... the new seats seem to take up a lot more space than the old one, so I imagine there will be a lot of shifts in seat assignments should that happen.

I'm actually trying to see if AAdvantage will give me a one-time exception to change my itinerary from HNL-LAX-DFW-CDG to HNL-DFW-MIA-CDG to take advantage of better arrival times, better aircraft, and so our initial redeye flight is long enough to give us a decent amount of time to sleep!  But I doubt I'll get the exception... I don't see how an empty flight has only 1 available award seat, but what do I know right??

Anyhow, thanks californian!  Hope you have a great flight!  I look forward to your report! 

Kharada,

From what you said you are using miles.  AA will let you change without penalty as long as your starting point and ending point remain the same.  It does not have to be a one time exception.  I had a situation that I changed my return something like 5 times as things kept coming up.  I would grab up any flights that are better and keep watching for better yet.  You should be able to condense these to 2 segments each way.  They will also allow you to upgrade to a higher level without penalty.  If you keep an eye on the web, you might find better flights.  One thing I do is check from pt A to pt B and then look at sections.  AA has flown from HNL to DFW non stop.  If that opens, it would help you.  The other possibility is LAX to CDG.  I would watch the 3 possibilities.  If you acquire enough miles to upgrade, that is another possibility.  AA has gotten stingy since they filed for BK.  Award seats used to be more plentiful before.  Good luck.

Californian,

Yes, we are using miles.  This trip wouldn't be possible if we had to pay!   

I spoke with an AA rep today, and she confirmed that the routing could be changed at no cost, however, it appears that AA just doesn't give awards availability on HNL-DFW segments.  It didn't show up in my original booking search, and now only shows up for a single passenger booking.  The reservation agent notified me that they wouldn't be able to put us on the flight.  I did send AAdvantage Customer Service to see if they could make an exception and squeeze us on the flight, but I doubt they'll budge.  I will keep looking though!  I'd much prefer a HNL-DFW flight rather than HNL to LAX... Can actually sleep a decent amount on the flight and better aircraft/seats. 

Our return flight is currently booked on coach, as we fell short by about 35,000 miles to get back in Business.  Good to know that we'd be able to upgrade without being feed!  I highly doubt we'd be able to get that many miles before availability vanishes!  Definitely can't afford to buy the remaining miles needed... oh well!  No biggie. 

You know, I didn't see any LAX to CDG flights, even when I did searches for AAnytime Awards and paid full fare flights.  Will have to look again!  Thanks for the great info Californian!  Enjoy your Flagship Suite!  Hope you can get into the new First or Business class on AA's new 777-300ERs some time soon! 

Do you and/or your wife to be have AA credit cards?  They offer a big bonus to sign up and you can earn miles for spending?  If you don't, both of you could get them.

Yes, we both have the Citi Platinum AAdvantage World MasterCard and the Citi Select AAdvantage American Express card.

Do you have any luck getting American to "look the other way" in regards to award seat availability?  If so, please share!   

The computer now controls the seats to keep humans from looking the other way.  From what I have seen, all the availability is shown on the web site.  The honeymoon plea does not work since so many are in the same place.  Once AA filed BK, the award seats became a whole lot harder to get.  I tried really hard to get on AA going to LHR to get out of paying the horrible BA taxes and fees and even with platinum status could not get them.  I know there were unsold seats that they kept for purchase.  That would have saved me hundreds of dollars.

Just keep looking when every you have time.  Availability does come up when you least expect it.

I figured so, I tried asking and the rep said not even the supervisors could override!  Unfortunately, this is probably going to be the new normal... I just don't see why they can't make an exception for a flight thats practically empty!  But then again, what do I know right?  They probably want to keep it empty to up-sale someone at the gate or to put an EXP on... oh well! 

I have been checking at least twice a day, every day though... hopefully something will come up!

AA has redone business class.  When I traveled last, the seats did not fully recline.  They do now.  So any 777 would be good if you can get on one.

Thanks for the update Californian!  I'm glad you had a great flight with an unexpected, but welcome surprise!  Unfortunately, all award flight availability between HNL and CDG are completely gone, save for a few flights that route through LHR on BA... but I'll keep looking! 

Interesting that the change is occurring that quickly!  I read that they'd begin the change would indeed begin this year for 777-200's, but not till later.  The change supposedly won't happen for 767-300ERs until next year, and even then only half will receive the new interior.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...