4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2013 4:28 PM by jkernitzki RSS

Is Marriott slipping?

sacerdos15 Gold 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

From my limited perspective Marriott is not slipping in quality however when I view these comments and discussions from people more traveled than I,and I compare the hotels and the service from yesteryear,I start to wonder.Is Marriott too big to be personal? Case in point,the tripadvisor awards for the 25 best hotelsin the world were revealed this morning and NONE of them were a hotel connected with Marriott.However,6 belonged to Four Seasons! That is Marriott with its large portfolio of hotels  0  and Four Seasons with only itself (as far as I know) 6.There were none 0f the large conglamorates  were represented such as Hilton,Hyatt and te sheratongroup.Maybe Shumacher was right and  small is beautiful,

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Is Marriott slipping?
    divenstar Platinum 3 Reviews

Yes, I feel that Marriott is slipping...Their dispute resolution process "is the worst", has no teeth, no merit nor any accountability, with respect to individual franchised properties...I was 2x billed at the Fairfield Inn in Anahiem, Ca. on Orangethorpe Rd... I had a two night reservation, but canceled one of those nights, because the property was not what I had expected (lots of loud kids/families running around...Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm, etc..), so I moved to the Courtyard a short distance away...In addition, the desk manager was very rude and insulting and wanted to lecture me about the responsibilities of Marriott membership (sic), though I am Platinum...I filed two complaints, through Marriott customer service and NEVER EVER got a call from the General Manager of the Fairfield Inn to address the details of the 2X billing complaint and she simply chose to side with her staff's erroneous explanation (lies/fabrications)...So, I escalated the issue to Mr. Marriott's office, were I received the same run-around from the executive offices...Their explanation was thus..."That particular property is a franchised property and as such, we (Marriott) have no power to compel the Gen. Manager to act", though, I had a copy of the one night folio (proving my cancellation) in my possession...I finally had to file a complaint w/my credit card company, who ruled in my favor and reversed the charge immediately...

In closing, I"ve spent 97 nights with Marriott in the last 120 days and have been very loyal to Marriott...But, that loyalty is short lived...I've reinstated my memberships with Hilton, Weston, etc...

Disappointed...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

Putting aside the value of a single website's poll results...

As to the majority of them, they're one-off boutique properties, and as far as the Four Seasons, it is to Marriott as Marriott is to, say, Choice.  Different category altogether, and comparing the two types is simply not possible, other than they happen to both be hotel chains. 

As to whether the brand is "slipping", we could go on for days about that, but let's at least compare apples to apples.

sacerdos15 Gold 3 Reviews

It is apples to apples.Perhaps I was not clear .When I mentioned Marriott I meant the entire Marriott assemblage which includes not only Marriott but also the Ritz Carlton.I was disappoited to see 6 Four Seasons hotels on the list and not one marriott meaning not one J.W.Marriott nor a Ritz Carlton.

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

Regardless of the source, I'd be surprised to not see any Four Seasons on a list like this, but to see six of them (out of 25) tells me more about the value of the poll than the relative quality of the properties. Remember, this is a popularity contest basically, and the rankings are indicative of absolutely nothing. As to the invalidity of the comparison, I'm sticking with it. The Four Seasons is one brand, period. Marriott, fifteen. Also, my expectations at a Four Seasons are entirely different than at any Marriott property, and that includes the Ritz, as those have different target audiences, the similarity ending past the income bracket.

In a nutshell, the poll is meaningless, and probably not the best place to use as a means to determine the state of all things Marriott.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...