20 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2016 8:33 AM by seatexan RSS

Special requests ignored

innovation Platinum
Currently Being Moderated
My profile states extra towels and pillows.  I almost never get a room where this special request has been honored.  Does anyone have a smilar experience?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Special requests ignored
    globetrotting1 Platinum 1 Reviews
    I have been an elite member for 3 years and I have the same request listed.  To date, I have NEVER had this request honored... NOT ONCE!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

loyalt Silver
    Since adding "Near elevator" to my profile, I've consistently been booked into rooms as far as possible from the elevator.  I made this selection because of a disability that makes walking difficult and the last Marriott I stayed at gave me the adsolute furthest room from the elevator and lobby in the entire hotel.

lhabitat Platinum
    It seems the requests are very dependent on the hotel and the staff.  For Marriott hotels, I generally have success being near the elevator when requesting, but have a bit more difficulty with the extra towels.  The hotels with higher staff turnover and younger front desk personnel generally are less attentive to speical requests in my experience.  A call the day before check-in sometimex helps.

seatexan Platinum

Only once have I had my Special Request honored.  It was at the JW Marriott by the Galleria in Houston, Texas.  I stayed and had some issues, so I posted on TripAdvisor.  I was contacted by the hotel and they made things right.  I told them I would be back and I gave them the day.  It was my Birthday weekend.  That was the FIRST and ONLY time I had extra towels. 

I always need to call down and ask for them. 

It is sad that request are not honored.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I usually get some of my special requests.  I have a request for a fridge and feather free pillows and those are nearly always provided.  Extra towels are rarely left unless I actually ask housekeeping.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

It all depends on the brand you are staying in. Your profile basically doesn't get looked at for certain brands/properties. As far as extra pillows and towels, no one gets that based on their profile. High floor rooms, and rooms close/far from elevators, those are sometimes honored. What you should do, is ask for anything you need at check-in. If a fridge or something like that is urgently needed (like say for medication, etc.), call the property directly to ask for it. If you want a high floor or upgrade, simply ask at check-in. That way they know you really need it and will dedicate someone to handle the request. I know profile preferences aren't guaranteed, but I agree with you, to have them be simply ignored makes the entire exercise of having a profile with preferences pointless. All in all, I am very happy with the rooms I receive and the benefits of my Gold status.

seatexan Platinum

ks77 wrote:

As far as extra pillows and towels, no one gets that based on their profile.

So what is it based on then? And which brands do you think are more likely to check special request? 

Other than request being ignored (why even have them?), I have been pretty happy with Marriott.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I would say you are most likely to get that at FS Marriott properties, Renaissance, and JW. If you really need them and don't see them when you arrive at your room. Just call down and ask for some, they will usually come by quickly with anything you need. As far as CY, SHS, RI, and FFI, I don't think the preferences are read besides maybe what newspaper you like.

FS and JW are definitely better but my feather free requests and fridge requests are almost always honored, everywhere.  Extra towel seem to be the one that separates the good from the poor on this subject.

seatexan Platinum

JW is my goto brand mostly.  Only once did I get them there.

Even the JW Starr Pass in Tucson didn't honor the request (2 years in a row!).  But I have come to expect it now, and just call down or ask the front desk.  I tip housekeeping for bringing things like extra blankets and towels.  They seem really surprised so maybe that's usual to tip?...no wonder they take so long to bring things.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

SeaTexan is the JW in Tucson nice?  I'm assuming you like it if you've gone twice in a row.  Spouse watches that PBS cooking show set at that property, and it looks very, very nice.  But I've heard you have to drive through some sketchy parts of town to get there?  I have not been to Tucson and don't know how sketchy the sketchy parts actually are

seatexan Platinum

The JW in Tucson is nice.  I enjoy it.  It's beautiful.  I have been 4 times but they have not been consecutive years.  The "sketchy" parts are very little, tho I can see where someone would get that idea.  The property is surround by lovely homes and mountains. The most sketchy area that you have to go thru might be on Starr Pass Blvd...which is quite long! so it covers a lot.  I also find many homes in desert areas to not be as vibrant, giving them a more run down look.  There is not grass, everything is pretty much... Tan!   

The JW has grass however and they have amazing grounds to walk on. I even saw deer on the walking trails! I am not a golfer but I enjoy this place very much! The views are amazing.  If you stay here, the city views are beautiful at night. 

Platinum 28 Reviews

The percentages listed are broad estimates:

Special Requests listed on my profile provided at:

FS -  90%

All other properties  10%

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I have extra towels and high floor listed in my profile.  Almost always get a high floor, almost never get the extra towels and it does not seem to have anything to do in my experiences with a specific brand. 

I never get extra towels.  I always have to ask  after check in.

agbcpa Platinum 5 Reviews

The only Hotel that I get my requests is the Harbor Beach Marriott in Fort Lauderdale - but that is only because after many times of not having being treated well as a Platinum I complained to Mr. Marriott's office and since then they have been accommodating - sad to say when I go the desk and ask they often say they do not even look at the requests

@lindseyh  I often notice that your comment on a post is to repeat that post.  Is the system malfunctioning or are you actually repeating the post?

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Same here IAHFLYR!

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I'm hit and miss on this.  Sometimes they do actually honor it.  Most of the time they don't.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I never make a special request but using one of those old cat4 certs to pay for my sisters room when we both stayed in Leicester, she called the hotel to request a room close to the lift, and both our rooms were placed as closely to the lifts as it was possible to be. For several months thereafter I found all my rooms were close to the lift, until I entered one room and could here the lift noise clearly. I asked to be moved and was told my preferences showed as close to elevator.

So my experience is very efficient! Too efficient in fact!

fistuk Platinum

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...