19 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2013 8:37 PM by politicalman RSS

JW Marriott New Orleans

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

I was planning to write this review last week after my return from a three day stay at the JWNOLA.  It's only because of a real hassle with billing problems and not getting points posted until another phone call today (more on that, since part was funny) that I waited till today.

Aside from billing, this is a great hotel, and I am so glad I didn't stay at the regular Marriott NOLA across the street, which was the conference hotel.  The latter was jam packed with people, whereas the JW was friendly, comfortable and all around lovely.  The staff were beyond fantastic.  Only in Europe have I been so consistently recognized for my status and thanked for it, and the guest relations manager, Mary Griffin, got me a corner room on the CL floor, which I had asked for (a tripadvisor review suggested that).  So I had a lovely view of the river, the French quarter, and the area around Canal Street from two large windows).  As I said, I was greeted effusively. The first night, Thursday, I could not go to the CL at night and it was closed the rest of the nights I was there, so I can't comment, but the Friday morning breakfast was superb and the staff very friendly.  When I had to print my boarding pass at a lobby kiosk Saturday it didn't work, so the staff brought me behind their desk to do it on their computer.  I cannot say enough about all of the people and the great quality rooms.  The bed was great, one of the key things that keeps me loyal to Marriott.

The first night after endless meetings I went back and had dinner at Shula's, the steak restaurant in the hotel.  They do a whole show for you, starting with the football (I had to admit to them I was a NE Pats fan, though the waitress kind of ruined that line when she said she didn't really care about football) with a menu on it.  Then they bring out samples of all the steaks possible.  I had the filet mignon oscar, which was mouth-wateringly delicious, along with an appetizer of seared scallops, I think on a bed of mango chutney.

The weekend part was less delightful, because I had to pay for breakfast Saturday and (as some of you already know) my two glasses of wine at the lounge bar Saturday night.  The breakfast was also in Shula's and it was delicious (I had eggs benedict), but over $30.  My Saturday night glasses of wine when I got back to the hotel almost made me flip out.  I found out the bar was almost closing so I ordered two glasses of red wine.  When I saw the bill it was $34! The wine was good, but not THAT good.  I hadn't even looked at a menu, but just said a dry red.  So be careful if you order what you think is a simple glass of wine.

I also had room service one afternoon (just a Marriott burger), but again the service and staff were great.

NOW, the big gripe besides the wine cost.  I had to leave very early Sunday morning for the airport, and the bill under my door said $214 and only counted the meals and room service.  No room charges, which I required for reimbursement.  Me and the (again very nice) man behind the desk tried to figure this out for about 15 minutes before I had to leave so I asked them to send me the ledger.  But the first thing he said was that the room appeared to have been paid for by a convention or someone else (this gets funnier with my call to the Platinum line today).  I said no, that I was there alone, and showed him the reservation (always keep those reservations since confirmation numbers don't show up on bills).  I got home and still nothing.  I contacted Mary Griffin again, who I presume has nothing to do with billing, but she sent my email over to someone in that section of the hotel and I got a final email bill, which was correct. It also correctly listed that it was billed to my Marriott Premier VISA card and had the last four numbers of my Marriott acct number on it.

When three days went buy last week and no points showed up I called (this happens to me all the time, as most of you know).  Then they called the hotel and were told it was 'in process'.  Still nothing this morning almost ten days out, so I called again and got a truly super person on the rewards line (Tom, I think).  Here's where it gets funny.  The first thing he asked was whether I was there with my husband, and gave me two men's first names as possibilities which matched my last name. I said no, I have no husband. Then he asked if I was staying with anyone else.  No again.  So he called the hotel and was on with them for some time and got everything rectified (I think since he told me what sounded like the correct number of points).  But some guys with my real last name out there might want to check their New Orleans' bills if they stayed at the JW!

Anyone I want to reiterate that aside from billing/points and the cost of lobby lounge wine, it is a great hotel!

Cheers, ProfChiara (with anywhere from no to two husbands)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott New Orleans
  • Re: JW Marriott New Orleans
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Professor,

Great report!

I think I will just drive to N.O. and take my "Vineyard" with me!  "2 buck chuck", will go a long way there.  BTW, Trader Joe's has another wine I like even better, it's a 3 liter box, that sells for $9.99.  I plan on putting the boxes in my luggage and no longer have to worry about bottles breaking!

That is so good to know about the JW, I am planning on getting there this year and will go for the JW!

Happy New Year to you!  Hope you get it all worked out on the billing!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Profchiara. This is very good stuff. Well written, informative, and interesting! Thanks!

Just be sure to check your points and bill!  Both of you, Jerry and Al, might be told you have husbands and wives (I was given a multiple choice of first names) you never knew about. And unless you want to hold out for a suite, do ask for a corner room on the CL level. The JWNOLA is the first American hotel in a while to send me a pre-reminder in which I could request things, so by all means do so.  I'm sure Mary will accommodate you if she can.

PS - It's less than a 5 minute walk to the heart of the French Quarter.

Professor,

Thanks, and will do!

Will look forward to meeting Mary (Will introduce her to my two husbands)!

Good one!  Are you going along, Al? Could have quite a party if you go at Carnival time with all the extra (and multiple choice) spouses)

Prof, it is hard enough for me to deal with one! I do not know if I could handle this "lifestyle change" shall we say! LOL!

I am sorry. I just caught this conversation again. I am in, but will have to pull some "flex time" at work.

I do not know if I can partake in the "multiple" thing. I am very shy at times! (?)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Great info, Prof.  Thanks.  Just one husband whose name I already know is way more than I can handle.  Too bad, because the JW NOLA sounded like a nice place!

None is as much as I could ever handle.  So when I was given a choice between Stuart and ?Mark, I said neither.  And it is a very nice place!  It was just really funny that both on the phone and at the desk they asked me who paid for the room and was I there with my husband.

I am delighted to report that (to my knowledge) for the first time ever I was responded to by a Marriott manager on Tripadvisor.  I wrote only a slightly different version in my review than I did here (and I'm not profchiara there btw), but got a very nice acknowledgement as well as an apology for the billing/nights problem.

So kudos again to the JWNOLA. Maybe they got one part wrong, even while giving me two husbands -- alas, anyone want one or two? -- but in every other aspect of service they were outstanding.  I am glad that at least some Marriotts look at and reply to tripadvisor reviews.  While I realize some people can 'game' tripadvisor, the sheer volume of reviews (I am a senior contributor with about 130 reviews) make it one of the first places I go to check out properties.

So JWNOLA, good going!

ProfC

Professor,

I am changing my reservation to the JW!

Thanks so much for your input.

That is very good Professor. I am very impressed and like to hear when good things happen and you are given the respect you deserve.

Hi Jerry and Al,

Jerry, the other good thing is that you receive in advance your preference wish, which I also find rare here in the U.S.

Cheers, ProfC

Professor,

I don't think I have ever got one!

Headed to Sedona and Scottsdale today for a week and did not get one for the RI in Scottsdale!

That is another good reason to move from the Marriott in N.O. to the JW!

Thanks for the information!

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

Sounds like a good move Jerry.  Unfortunately, I doubt whether we could change from the Marriott to the JW ... I expect everywhere is blocked out now ... Jazz Fest!  Still, we've stayed at the JW before, so I'll be interested to compare the property across Canal.

Hi Prof. Cheers to you!

Hi Al and Jerry,

Same back at ya!  I was really impressed and it turned out to be very useful because them I had Mary Griffin's email for the billing problems at the end.

Best, ProfC

politicalman Gold 3 Reviews

Was going to stay at the JW but a little hurricane made trip impossible!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...