7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 19, 2013 7:49 PM by john_thai RSS

Elite status

willpiercey Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I’m looking for information if anyone has ever been promoted from Gold to Platinum elite even if you missed the required 75 stays.  This year I have only 64 days and a fellow traveler ended with 68 days and he was extended to the Platinum status.  Has anyone ever heard of this or is there a request that can be sent to receive this privilege?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Elite status
    jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

Marriott can and will extend status in cases where the minimum nights aren't re-acheived based on unspecified criteria. Generally, if you had been making Platinum for a number of years regularly in the past but missed the cut this year, they may decide that because of that history you are a good bet to increase to that level on your own this year, so to sweeten the pot, they'll comp you the higher status as an incentive to remain loyal. I would guess that if you missed it a second year though, the odds of being comped again would drop dramatically.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Will,

I think jk covered it pretty well....the one thing you didn't mention was..Did your friend miss REqualifying for platinum or are you saying he was Gold, achieved 68 nights, and Marriott bumped him up? I've heard of Marriott helping folks requalify, but I haven't heard them bumping to the next level if you didn't already have a history of that level.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Could there have been rollover nights involved?

marshallp Platinum

I have been Platinum for 4 years.  This year I missed the cut by a few nights, so they bumped me to keep me Platinum.

bigmrm Platinum

Bumping you up also means you don't get rollover nights you otherwise may have received so perhaps it's a mixed benefit.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

And how many stays did you have in 2011?  Did you have any rollover nights?

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Marriott used to do this to me regularly because I also had a lot of charges on a Marriott Visa and because I occasionally booked conference rooms.

I achieved lifetime Platinum. When I get the new card every year it says "even though you didn't have enough nights", etc. implying that they are doing it out of generosity. No mention of the Lifetime status in the note. I think it's 750 nights plus over a million total points to get Lifetime Platinum.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...