18 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2013 10:54 AM by jerrycoin RSS

Rome, Italy

GBeck Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Traveling and boarding a cruise in Rome, July 6th for 7 nights.  Staying for four nights afterwards in Rome.  There are only about 3 Marriott properties to chose from; Boscolo Palace, Marriott Rome Hotel, and Courtyard Central Park that I can use points.

As a platinum member, I'm able to use some points for most or all of the stay.  Of the choices, which one would I get most bang.  Such as seeing the sights, walking v. shuttle/taxi

service. Perhaps window shopping, cafe's and etc.  Along with specials on amenities at the hotel choice.  As well I have never been to Rome.

Any advice would help?

GBeck

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Rome, Italy
  • Re: Rome, Italy
    cocoloco Platinum

Hi GBeck.

Was just at the Boscolo in Rome and used my points as well.

It's a good hotel. Service was ok, but the hotel itself is beautiful.....in fact, the Boscolo's are my new favorite hotel's by Marriott.

We had a room that faced the US Embassy, which was rather quiet and really beautiful, but I noticed down below there were some rooms with balconies which you may like. Overall nice stay, good breakfast, nice staff....Rome is AMAZING!

Have fun, hope this helps.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Stayed at Marriott Grand Flora, near Via Vittorio Veneto, and the hotel is as the name suggest - "Grand". short cab ride from train station. You can walk to familiar tourist attraction - "Fontana Di Trevi" (3 fountains), Villa Gorghese Park, and with a little more energy, the Pantheon, one of the greatest architectural achievements in the world! Suggest scheduling "Hop on- Hop Off" bus just outside the hotel, which concierge desk can arrange, and visit Forum and Colliseum and St. Peters Basilica and Vactican (all a bit far to walk from Marriott).  Other attractions are Piazza Navona (near River), old section of town - Trastevere - across the river and near Colliseum. The Marriott Courtyard in Rome is some distance from town center, but less expensive than Grand Flora.  If you're flying out of Rome, suggest staying at Marriott Courtyard near airport.

Bon viaggio !

Fred

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

fschumpert,

That is a great idea to take the "Hop on/off Bus"!

Will do, and will be staying at the Grand Flora, and your experiences are really appreciated!

Only been to Rome once, and this is going to be a "Special trip"!

Thanks!

bgoodwillie Platinum

Hi there.  I am going there in one month.  How difficult is it to tour Rome from this hotel and what do you suggest for one day?  Are the hotel people able to converse in English as I have absolutely no Italian!

bgoodwillie,

Good question, but can't imagine the front desk staff NOT speaking English!

Again, I have not stayed there but in my international travel, have never had a problem with language at hotels like these.

cocoloco,

Rome sounds amazing!

Thanks!

ohmark Platinum

Interestingly, the Grand Flora and the Boscolo are only a few blocks apart.  I've recently stayed at the Grand Flora and walked through the lobby of the Boscolo.  To my personal tastes (and personal taste is what it is), I prefer the classic and sort of luxuriously harmonious feel of the Grand Flora to what I perceive as the over-the-top contemporary feel of the Boscolo (at least as far as I could see from the lobby).

ohmark,

Nice description of both properties!

Thanks!

jep2020 Gold 1 Reviews

Interesting, the Boscolo in Budapest and Prague  anything but contemporary. If you plan to go to the Sistine Chapel be sure to get a personal guide, best money we have spent in Rome.

ohmark Platinum

Room at Boscolo.  boscolo palace - Bing Images

ohmark,

Thanks for the photo!

I could not sleep in that bed, so I will just keep my reservation at Grand Flora, thanks!

ohmark Platinum

Your welcome, Jerry.  Enjoy Roma!  (We stayed at the Grand Flora for a couple of days before our cruise departed from Civitavecchia).

bgoodwillie Platinum

How hard was it to get to Civitavecchia?  How long did it take from the Grand Flora?  I am actually staying at the Boscola the night before I depart on my cruise of the Greek Isles.

bgoodwille,

That is a great question, and I hope you get an answer!

ohmark Platinum

The drive from the Grand Flora to the port took about an hour as I recall (by private car).

jep,

Thanks, that is what I will do, but how long did it take you?

Two hours is my limit, anything beyond that is just too much walking!

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

My wife and I stayed at Marriott Grand Flora, which is more accessible (in my opinion) to all the familiar attractions, yet a long walk to Vatican City. That's why we had concierge desk make reservations on "Hop On-Hop Off" bus, which stopped across street from hotel. This way, you can spend as much time at particular attractions and then get back on next bus for next destination. There is also a Courtyard not too far from the Vatican. One area attraction you should visit - not on all the tourists spots - is Viale Trastevere, south of the Pantheon, across Tevere River.

Regarding getting to the Renaissance Tuscany IL Ciocco Resort & Spa, near Lucca, this is not near Rome, but some 1 1/2 hours South of Florence; however, you could take a train from Rome to Pisa, or Lucca, and on to Pascoli, Barga. Fabulous place to spend several days - see photo section on Insiders.

No problem with language in most Italian towns, hotels, resorts, shops.

Fred

fs,

Good information!

Will take your advice on the on/off bus, and will try it on the first day!

Thank-you!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...