21 Replies Latest reply: Feb 9, 2013 2:45 PM by tryt53 RSS

Seoul/Thailand Trip in April 2013

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

My Wife and I will be visiting Seoul, Phuket and Bangkok in April 2013. Although we have been to Bangkok a number of times we have never been to Seoul or Phuket. The following is our Itinerary for this trip:

4/10         Orlando - Seoul, Korea (Asiana Air - First Class)

4/11-16     Seoul Korea (Seoul Ritz-Carlton)

4/16         Seoul Korea - Phuket, Thailand (Thai Airlines - Business Class) 

4/16-21      Phuket, Thailand (JW Marriott Phuket) 

4/21         Phuket,Thailand - Bangkok, Thailand (Thai Airlines - Business Class)       

4/21-27     Bangkok, Thailand (JW Marriott Bangkok)

4/27        Bangkok, Thailand - Singapore (Thai Airlines - Business Class)

4/28         Singapore - Orlando (Singapore Airlines - First Class)

I am in the process of booking the Demilitarized Zone including JSA and 3rd Tunnel tour sanctioned by USO. I understand this is a must when visiting Korea!!!

Any other Suggestions for this trip would be appreciated!!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Seoul, South Korea The Ritz-Carlton The Ritz-Carlton, Seoul
  • Re: Seoul/Thailand Trip in April 2013
    californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I really liked Thai Airlines.  I liked them a lot better than Japan Airlines.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

I really like Thai Airways too!

They are right up their with Malaysian Airways (MAS) and Singapore.

Fantastic service, food and airport clubs.

My only complaint with Thai Airways, was on their flight from Bangkok to Chang Mai, they did not have a Thai food offering and I was stuck with a tuna fish sandwich.  It was a small commuter plane though with no first or business class.

I don't think you can go wrong any of these 3 airlines!

When I was there, I fly Thai from Bangkok to Chang Mai too.  There was no Marriott in Chang Mai.  Did you visit the hill people while there?

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

There were no Marriotts in Thailand at all when I visited in the 80s & 90s.

In Bangkok I stayed in the Bangkok Oriental (Mandarin) and with friends, and in Chang Mai I stayed at the Dusit Thani, which is a Thai hotel chain, partially owned by Thai Airways.

We did visit some of the Hill people thought not all that I wanted, as my ex thought it too dangerous.  We also went to the night market where you can see all the hill people coming to sell their handicrafts.  Also went elephant riding in the jungle, and rafting down a river with  the Karen (same tribe that assisted Aung San Suu Kyi's efforts).  We also attended a Northern Thai cultural progam of tribal dancing and a very nice dinner of northern Thai food which is quite different than what you will get in the rest of Thailand. It reminded me of Burmese or Cambodian food as it used sticky rice not jasmine rice.   I also did a tour of the local factories as they make alot of interesting things like silk and teak furniture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_people

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_cuisine

klaus29 Silver

what  nice  trip , exstraordinaire.  when you cam with thai airways  en first class to bangkok, you dont get only  the  great lounge

but a  1 hour  massage on your choice.en plus.,for  free

A free massage sounds good.  It would be nice if all the airlines would do the same.

klaus29 Silver

jasper100

you have many gateways in phuket Marriott 2  bedroom  villas    from the ,  14/4  to the 21/4.  you loost 2  days  i know

here the price    620.49 Euro.for  1  week,  selt  from interval,  withaut  any  condition.  only 1  ,you have to be memcber  with interval..

this have nathing to do with exchange or  owner from marriott...  everybady  can  buy  this gateways week...   you dont have breakfast, but a

big nice kitchen.  you know  yourself what is  better for you.,  to pay in the jw  marriott  with points or casch.  or take the  gateway..

again have a  nice   trip..     the  name  marriott  mai khao beach club,  is a 500 meters  from the  JW  marriott.Phuket.

Gilbau Gold

jasper100

If you'd like to experience the traditional culture of Korea, I suggest near of Gyeongbok-gung.(Palace of Chosun Dynasty)

Seoul is divided by the Han-river what traverses the north and south of Seoul.

Ritz-Carlton is located in Gangnam.

Gang-nam means south of the river. (Do you know Gangnam style, Korean song by PSY? There is here.)

Gangnam is trendy, fashionable & up-to-date, but you can't find Korean styled beauty.

It is typical places of Gangnam Around Apgujeong station & Gangnam station.

Seoul-1.jpg

Gang-buk means north of the river, and there are many attractions that represent Seoul.

Gyoungbok-gung is the main palace of the old dynasty of Korea, Chosun.

Jong-myo is the royal ancestral shrine of Chosun dynasty. It was designated as a UNESCO World Heritage site.

And you can see traditional Korean houses in Buk-chon.(the northern village)

Insa-dong is the place to look around antiques, art, ceramics and traditional clothing stores.

A visit to Seoul isn’t complete until youve seen Insa-dong.

Myoung-dong is a popular shopping district.

Seoul-2.jpg

If you'd like to know more, click on the link below ;

http://www.visitseoul.net

* meaning

- gang : river

- nam : south

- buk : north

- gung : palace

- dong : street

- chon : village

- myo : grave

p.s. I'm a Korean, and know English just a little. so it's very difficult to explain in English. ;D

klaus29 Silver

Gilbau

one  big thank you, to you.   for  the help in your  culture.anderstanding.  and  the  help  what  give  this  VISITSEOUL.NET

but  jasper 100 , i am sure will this  explaine much better at me.

Gilbau, thanks for all the great information. I will certainly incorporate your suggestions in my upcoming trip to Seoul.

klaus29 Silver

SIR   jasper 100

if yoiu have time please give  me  one answer about jour booking  in JW MARRIOTTt   PHUKET.

better  casch  , points  or  a gateway  from  interval.

thank yoiu for a answer     .SIR

Gilbau, What are the ways to get from the Airport to the Ritz-Carlton?

Gilbau Gold 10 Reviews

Airport bus service : Incheon(ICN) International Airport - Bus Routes

(Bus No. : 6703) (abt. $15 per person)

Taxis : Incheon(ICN) International Airport - Taxis

(abt. $80)

Deluxe Taxi is recommended.

Call Van : Incheon(ICN) International Airport - Call Van

(abt. $80)

Caution : Overcharged fare by unapproved.

Gilbau, can you give me some idea how far it is from Camp Kim from the Seoul Ritz Carlton and the best way to get there? I am looking at booking a USO demiltarize zone tour while I am in Seoul. Any advise would be very much appreciated.

Gilbau Gold 10 Reviews

Hello, Sir

I'm glad to help you.

The distance from Ritz-Carlton to USO in Yong-san is about 10km, and taxi fare is about $15.

It usually takes about 20~30 minutes if there is no traffic jam.

but If you stuck in a traffic jam, it'll be about 1 hour.

The traffic jam of Seoul is a similar level with New York!!

( Rush hour time in Seoul : 7:00 to 9:00 a.m., and 5:00 to 9:00 p.m.)

Seoul-4.jpg

The picture below is the entrance of the Camp Kim(USO).

USO in Yongsan.jpg

If you want to know about DMZ/JSA tour, follow the links belows;

http://www.koridoor.co.kr/bbs/board.php?bo_table=travelInfo&sca=JSA/DMZ

http://blog.naver.com/koridoor?Redirect=Log&logNo=30108871878

Thanks again Gibau..really appreciate your input..I am looking forward to my trip to Seoul.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Jasper,

Hope you really enjoy your trip to Seoul.  I'd love to give input but don't really have any, other than I was born in Seoul as a Korean War orphan (out of Rue's Orphanage in Seoul) and left there at 5 1/2 in 1959.  I got back once to Korea for a Team Spirit, but not to Seoul, when I was stationed out of Clark AB in the Philippines, and remember it was really cold in the winter!  I loved seeing the little bit of my heritage that I got the time to, and have always thought of going back someday to explore Korea.  Maybe someday...  I'll really be looking forward to your pictures, and have a great trip!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

would also visit Itewon which is a major tourist area  great for leather and garments( suits etc). better at night when all the stalls are out. Been to Seoul about 20 times and always enjoyed Itewon.

Gilbau Gold 2 Reviews

You could say that Itaewon is Korea's main residential area for foreigners.

And It is also a good choice to visit Itaewon if you plan to visit War Memorial in nearby Itaewon.

Taxi fare(from Ritz-Carlton to Itaewon shopping area) is abt. $10

Also Yeouido Spring Flower Festival will be held around 15th April.

In There You can see the Amazing Crowds besides the cherry blossom.(at night)

Seoul is not dangerous at all, even at night.

Seoul-3.jpg

klaus29 Silver

Gilbau

the  day when you want cam tio  Paris,  France,  i will help  yopu. , same   in Asia.,  Thailande, or   Maiasyia,  or  Indonnesia.

possible  you know  ASIA   better at me

thank you  so much

Gilbau Gold

klaus29,

Thank you so much for your hospitality.

I really want to go to Paris when I have a chance to go.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...