18 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2013 12:47 AM by ljharmony Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Resort fee for Internet and Gym access for Platinum?

yosof Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Just wondering if there are any Marriott properties that charge resort fees for Internet and gym access even for Platinum Elite members?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Resort fee for Internet and Gym access for Platinum?
    californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Unfortunately yes!  All the Marriott's in Hawaii do and I assume that many of the resort hotels also do.  We get free Internet as platinum's and then they charge us for it in the resort fee.  It would seem to me that they could at least give us a discount on the fee.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Any other Marriott's other than Hawaii charging for it?

I think that all hotels in Hawaii are under alot of financial pressure, as none own the land.

According to a friend of my father, who was an architect working on Oahu, the hotels all had 99 year leases that expired, and when it came time to renew, the rate were raised on them, such that, even if every room is booked every day of the year, they still do not break even, so they are looking for other ways to raise revenue to make ends meet.h

That is interesting about the leases in Hawaii.

Sanibel Marriott and Desert Springs also charge a resort fee.

I just checked Marco Island, since I will be there in April and they do not.

I was trying to find some written information on this, but all my queries were retrieving was info on how to structure real estate deals since you really can not own the land, only lease it.  Same is true in Thailand, where foreigners can not own land.  You can however buy a condo in a building.  Many foreign men marry Thai women to be able to hold land and do business there.  I have a very good friend, whose mother is Thai (father is american military), and her mother's mother is Thai, but her father was Chinese and a wealthy Chinese business man who also had a Chinese wife in Hong Kong.  I also had a college friend that was Thai, but ethnically Chinese.  His 1st name was thai but his surname was Chinese.  Since his father was not willing to change the surname to a Thai name, my friend could not attend university in Thailand, and that is why he went to school in the US.

yosof Platinum 1 Reviews

I don't typically stay at resorts, due to how they're not usually close to convention centers and such. But, I do know there is (was?) at least one resort that does not charge a resort fee.

I stayed at the JW Marriott Las Vegas Resort last year - the _optional_ $24.95 resort fee included access to the rather nice Aquae Sulis Spa.

I do like it when the resort fee actually includes something extra than the usual amenities that you expect from a decent hotel anyway.

alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

My girlfriend really enjoyed the very nice aerobic classes at Sanibel Island both times we went last year. The spa/gym there is very nice, and one morning only her and one other lady showed up and they still went ahead and had the class full-throttle! I had to laugh. Well I agree with you Yosof in that a fee is OK if it does provide something unique or unusual. I believe the fee at the FL resort was only $15 a dau, which is reasonable.

I am often curious why something is even listed as a fee, especially in the case over $15. Why would it not just be incorporated into the pricing structure over something relatively small? Is there some tax advantage at the location for the property? Is it because it actually makes a difference from a competative stand point to list rates which are simply $15 lower and then tack them on in the guise of a resort fee?

Does it somehow make the place seem more exclusive to the consumer by having you pay it?

I dwell upon the reasoning behind having an entirely different fee. If the drive is financial, psychological, or whatever, like the song say "and it makes me wonder............."

Best travels to you!

-Al

I think it is to compete on sites like Orbitz, etc.  They want to come in lower since that seems to sell.  In many cases, they take things that used to be free and include them in the "resort fee".  I am fine with a resort fee if it is optional.  If it is mandatory, it should be included in the room price.

yosof Platinum 1 Reviews

I guess it also has to do with what the "resort fee" supposedly includes.. If you're a luxury hotel and charge a resort fee for amenities that guests take for granted at any other hotel... well, that kind of makes your hotel tacky, right?

I was perfectly happy with the resort fee at the JW Marriott LV Resort, as it included access to a _very nice_ spa.

Being charged a mandatory $25 resort fee for wifi, gym, and phone calls (nothing special here) in a Vegas "luxury hotel" is just tacky... Hats off to Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas.

Very interesting!

Had not thought of this angle.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Maybe because the fee is per person rather than per room?

One resort we went to in WI charged a daily fee, but it included free access to the grounds transport bus, as well as to the main lodge amenities at the original Playboy Clubhouse.

yosof Platinum 1 Reviews

The resort fee was per-room. AND the Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas charges tax for their mandatory resort fee, so it's actually $28.

txnroses Platinum

Gaylord's charge the resort fee for internet and a bottle of water.......... enjoy the $15 water!!!!!!!  LOL

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Is that even a bottle of water per day or just one at check in?  Not that it makes that much difference, but just wondering.

yosof Platinum 1 Reviews

As of January 16, 2013: Not even a bottle of water with the Cosmopolitan of LV resort fee. Although, if you're Platinum, you can take a hike to the Lounge to ask for bottled water. Kind of roundabout. Lounge had very little, other than some drinks.

Hopefully, the Cosmo would add in a few more special things to the resort fee -- it does have a nice gym with a boxing ring (access/teacher never available, though). Cosmo resort fee currently offers the least for hotels that I know of on the strip. c.f. resort fees at Venetian (free newspaper) and MGM properties (free water and newspaper).

ljharmony Platinum 7 Reviews

Hi, I agree with you.

Since the Cosmo's Concierge Lounge is accessible to Marriott Platinum and have some drinks, are they open on weekend as well?  Many Lounges close on weekend.

I think I read Al on another thread talk about he was able to convince Front Desk to knock off bc as you said, M. Platinum get free Internet anyway and if you say, "Remove gym access from my key card," they might even more incline to remove the resort fees.

This is esp. true for short stay like one or two nights.

• Re: The Cosmopolitan and I get along very well
    alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

That is so funny Gem. He just branched it off like yesterday. Thus I will always be on the guard for any questions in the future which may eminate from that thread. I wish I would have taken my time and worded everything more carefully as I think I did it at like 2 in the morning, and kind of tossed it together quickly. If I had known it was going to be a lead in for a thread, I would have made it more organized and proper, you know! LOL!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...