19 Replies Latest reply: Sep 15, 2015 5:45 PM by 702rugbyref RSS

Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, 2013 - trying again as Platinum

yosof Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Giving the Cosmo a second chance, this time (finally!) as Platinum. Documenting my experiences here. Hoping that it won't turn out a disaster like last time.

Part 1: _The "Booking on Marriott.com" Experience_

Booking indicated a resort fee but did not specify what it included. Google answered with --

It looks like they had a recent policy change on Jan 1 2013 - as they are now charging a resort fee. This is surprising, since the Cosmo is a luxury hotel that's not supposed to be tacky and penny-pinching like the cheaper hotels on the strip. There's also this quote from LV Sun, which makes me worried that maybe the Cosmo is losing its vision (or, did they lose their CEO?):

“I’ve been playing around in that (resort fee) arena for 15 years,” veteran hotelier and Cosmopolitan CEO John Unwin said in a recent interview. Though hotels often tack on resort fees to offset plummeting hotel rates, “we’re not doing that because people don’t like it,” Unwin said.

Apparently, this resort fee is waived for Identity Platinum, but not for Marriott Platinum. The resort fee comes with gym access, phone and Internet. This basically means that Marriott Gold and Platinum members have to pay a fee for using the Internet at this Autograph Collection hotel.  

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
  • Re: Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, 2013 - trying again as Platinum
    vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

yosof,

Let us know how your stay goes at the Cosmopolitan.  I stayed there twice last year as a Platinum member and was never charged a resort fee, got free Internet, and also one free meal for two at the Wicked Spoon.  I'm planning to stay again next month.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

I hear as long as you are Platinum, you get good benefits at The Cosmopolitan.  I've heard there are very limited perks (if any) for Gold members.  I like The Cosmopolitan--great hotel and very lively (great location as well).  China Poblano (one of their many restaurants) makes a good salt air margarita.

boatpi Platinum 1 Reviews

Last time at Cosmo I was given 2 buffet coupons for breakfast, nothing else.  they do have a great Platinum check in area to the right of the front desk.  The resort fee is new for 2013 everyone pays.

docp101 Platinum 1 Reviews

Stayed at Cosmo the last week of December.  It was an amazing experience and the Cosmo is a mind blowing property!  i am close to lifetime platinum and that enhanced the experience as I got to use the platinum check in.  I also ordered a car service to pick me up from the airport and was upgraded to a stretch limo due to my Platinum status.  Another platinum perk was that we received a buffet for 2 at the Wicked Spoon which was great but we also got to use front of line access which was even better as lines were massive!  We also received a nice room upgrade to a studio as a result of platinum status.  I didn't like paying for gym access ($20 per person) but other then that the stay was an amazing experience and we plan to stay at The Cosmo again.

phx_jim Platinum 6 Reviews

We stayed at the Cosmo three times last year, including a New Year's Eve stay, as a Platinum and had excellent experiences each time.  All stays came with a room upgrade to a very, very nice Bellagio fountain view room (even upgraded from a ~$120 per night paid room) and their typical free breakfast buffets.  We did partake of their free coffee in the morning offered in their courtesy suite which saved us the cost and more importantly, the waiting in line time from getting it downstairs.

We haven't had to shell out their new resort fee yet but I can't believe that Cosmo management isn't waiving it for Marriott Platinum members.  It's VEGAS!  What do I need access to their gym for?  The phone and Internet are already free so it boils down to $20 per person per day for absolutely nothing...

Someone should really rethink this policy?  At 35K a night for reward nights (soon 40K), the resort fee just seems petty...

Location Brand Hotel
    Phoenix, Arizona, USA
    boatpi Platinum 1 Reviews

I was upgraded one level to a one bedroom suite.  And yes the new resort fee is a joke, just a room price increase.  I am not happy about it.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

I had a return visit to the Cosmo this week for a one night stay using points.  During my last previous stay (July 2012) the hotel allowed me to use the Wicked Spoon Credit towards Dinner paying the difference in cost since I had an early flight the next day and would unable to use take advantage of the breakfast offer.  When I checked in this week I asked if I could use Wicked Spoon Credit towards Dinner again since I would be unable to use the Breakfast offer again because of an early flight.  The front desk agent from the Platinum Desk consulted his manager and came back and said they were unable to honor the request but were giving me a room upgrade to a Wrap Around Terrace Suite.  I was a bit disappointed but quickly got over it once I got to the room and saw the amazing suite.  I got my phone out and recorded a video of the Wrap Around Terrace Suite (see video below).  Side note I was charged the resort fee for my stay even though I was using points unlike my July 2012 stay.

miamiandbeyond Silver 21 Reviews

as a lowly Gold Member...sigh...might you know know what is the real difference between a Terrace Guest Room and a Terrace Suite?   Both appear to have separate bedrooms...Thanks in advance....and i love these Signature Hotels have stayed in two in Florida.....just excellent

Message was edited by: miamiandbeyond

Hi Miami:

I actually don't know for sure but I have been in two types of terrace rooms on the Belaggio fountain side.  Both were very similar with one being noticeably larger and a more interestingly laid out.  The first time we stayed at the Cosmo, we had what I assume was the Terrace Guest Room.  As you entered the room, there was a bathroom with seperate shower and a jacuzzi bathtub placed so you could look out on the rest of the room. Then as you moved towards the terrace, there was a small sitting area and finally the bed just in front of the sliding terrace doors.

The other 4 or 5 times we have stayed, I believe we were upgraded to a Terrace Suite.  As you enter these rooms, first you have the sitting area (significantly larger that the other room), then a work desk and kitchenette area, a floor to ceiling mirrored changing area and then finally the bedroom and bathroom both up against the outside sliding door/windows.  The major difference here is that the bathroom now has an open shower area and a deep sunk-in tub right up against the outside window which makes the room great for couples but maybe not so good for family vacations...  :-)

Some pics from the Suite...

DSCF0135.JPGDSCF0136.JPGDSCF0137.JPG

Cheers.

amsterdamgator Platinum

worst thing about Resort fees is it screws the local governments out of revenue b/c those fees are not levied the taxes.  Also we don't get points on them.  GRR

sunworship Platinum

I am a Platinum member staying for 5 nights on points at The Cosmopolitan in July.  I'm hoping for an upgrade (as I am usually able to get when staying at a Marriott property, even when using points).  Since I'm arriving at the property late at night (midnight) would you suggest that I call ahead to ask for an upgrade?  I've never called ahead to ask for an upgrade before--I've just been very pleasant to the person behind the desk who was helping me and I've been lucky enough to get one when available.  I've read on this forum (on a different thread) that when someone arrived at night they got very poor service by the night manager and they were given a less than acceptable room. 

I wouldn't normally be concerned if I were checking in late at night at an "regular" Marriott property....but where this is an "autograph" hotel I'm not sure that I'll get the service and perks that I'm accustomed to.

Any help is much appreciated!

Hi there. I'm not sure if there will be a difference at night but Platinum members check-in at the "High Roller" check-in desk/room just past the main check-in desk.  These employees are used to dealing with their "preferred" guests and you may not have as much trouble as with a regular hotel.  You should get an automated welcome email from platinumeliteplatinumelite@cosmopolitanlasvegas.com@cosmopolitanlasvegas.com prior to your arrival and I have had very good service from these people when I've written back with an upgrade/special request.  Try stressing "you've heard great things about their view of Bellagio..."

My wife and I will also be there in July for four nights - be prepared for some hot days during your stay... Try not to walk too far - bring your water bottles... 

Hope this helps.

txnroses Platinum

They have always treated me well and they upgrade me on every visit.

702rugbyref Platinum

I have two clients staying there right now for 3 nights. They enjoy it as they can smoke on their balcony while looking over the Bellagio

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...