26 Replies Latest reply: Jan 27, 2013 7:47 PM by eb5147 RSS

Rollover Nights

mark8217 Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Disappointed that there was a decision not to rollover nights this year.  For those who stay 100 + nights a year this decision becomes a deterrent to staying as many nights as previous years.

Message was edited by: mark8217 It seems I over reacted.  The rollover nights have been added.  I thank all for their input.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Rollover Nights
    shashack Platinum 4 Reviews

I thought the rollover program was extended permantly at the end of 2012.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

They were.  We were sent a message from the community manager.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Hi mark8217:

The rollover program was made permanent according to Marriott. I think the system has only updated stays for this year as of this weekend and rollover nights from last year have not been added to our summary activity yet. I had 93 nights in 2012 and no rollover nights from 2011 and my rollover nights have yet to be added to my totals from last year. Maybe the community manager can respond to this thread and let everyone know.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I think they mentioned that it wouldn't be updated until after Wednesday, Jan. 16.  They're updating the program right now, starting yesterday.

mark8217 Platinum 1 Reviews

Thanks fot the info.  When I saw only my nights for this month, I guess i panicked.  I will await the update.

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

Here's the announcement on MRI: http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/blogs/news-promotions/2013/01/02/elite-rollover-nights-is-now-a-permanent-program-benefit

It was also noted in the FlyerTalk forums, and covered in the mainstream press (USAToday, etc.)

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Mine just showed up. All rollover nights present and accounted for.

Same here.

absolutelegend1 Platinum 2 Reviews

me too,+ rolled over 75 nights so next years status is sorted

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Mine are there now!

Mine were not there this morning but are there now.

Same with ours.  Just looked a bit ago and they were there.

Do rollover nights count towards the total membership nights?  It seems like I saw that somewhere.  There were 1800+ nights last week and now, 2215 total.

I don't think they count a night twice.  I don't follow mine that close but don't think they were counted twice.

I don't think they should, but I'm positive they do. At least this year, anyway.  My Lifetime number jumped by the amount of rollover, which to be honest I don't recall from years past.

taxman415 Platinum

Yes... Rollover nights count toward your total lifetime membership nights... Happy Hunting...

ravnwyng Platinum 2 Reviews

Yes, they do.

misterwiz Platinum

Glad to read your post - my rollover nights are missing still.......  am hoping they will be put in soon - stayed 98 nights last year!

Sometimes, they do us in batches.  Hope yours will appear soon.

taxman415 Platinum

My rollover nights just hit... Nice to make platinum so early in the year... Happy Hunting...

ravnwyng Platinum 2 Reviews

I think you have a misunderstanding.  It is that the nights do not perpetually roll-over.  Only the nights you "earn" in the calendar year are eligible for roll over.  That is, if you stayed 240 nights in 2012, and you were a Platinum Premier, then you would have 140 roll over nights in 2013 count towards your status, but if you only stay 101 nights in 2013, then only 1 night would roll over to 2014.  In the past, you would have the 140 added to the 101 and then 141 nights would have rolled over.   This had the affect of giving someone who had one very active year of travel earn lifetime nights way too quickly.  If MR is going to remove the years in the program requirement from their lifetime qualifications, then it makes sense to alter the roll-over practice.

Actually, the nights do roll over perpetually, but into your total lifetime nights.  This means that you earn lifetime much faster than without them. 

Also, it is only 75 nights that are taken from the total nights stayed in the year so that 240 nights stayed in a year, less the 75, will give you 165 RO nights.  The nights expire after 2013 if you don't need them to make your level, which you would not in 2014 because you would have 101 nights less the 75, which would still give you 26 RO nights and that many would be added to your total membership nights as well.  So those 26 nights count twice towards your total lifetime member nights just as the 165 did the previous year in 2013.

Ravnwyng, you must be really upset about something, but your info is based on false premises.

My husband is PP.  His RO nights this year were 321, and those nights were also added to total lifetime member nights, making his total 2215.  He is 71, so after he retires, he will be LP, but not PP.  He will still get 50% bonus for as long as he travels, but he is scheduled to be here for at least another year and he's really good at what he does.  It keeps him younger, I think, because he still get around and still thinks well with his job as well.     

Thanks for the explanation.  I wonder if Marriott meant this to happen or just overlooked this.

I think they've been doing it for some time, but just now put the info out there for us, making it official.  My guess is they were testing it before making it official.

sarakevo Platinum 7 Reviews

The expiration of rollover nights is a deterrent to Marriott stays.  I had 51 nights rolled over from 2012 expire, leaving me with a zero balance to start 2013.  If I had spent those nights at other chains, I would have improved my status at those chains.  Yes, there are other benefits like using my Marriott VISA card; however, there was an incentive in my view to increasing my total nights stayed.  No longer.

Those rollover nights were added to your total nights stayed.  I take it you had 126 nights stayed with the rollovers from 2011?  What were your nights stayed and rollover nights from 2011 and 2012.

We had lots of rollover nights from the last 3 years, but they were added to the total nights spent.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...