1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 13, 2013 11:43 PM by curiousone RSS

What's the best option for trading/exchanging a week?

quacks Silver 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

I am asking for your experience in options for one week's timeshare ownership. My husband and I have one week timeshare in Kauai, Hawaii. But already living in Hawaii, we don't really want to go to another island for a week. So in the past, I've traded the week for points and using the points for airline tickets to Japan. However, it seems I need more and more points to do this so I'm thinking this isn't the best option for us any longer. What have you found to be the best deal when not using your week? I read that some of you go for the packages but that discussion was over 3 years old so that may not be the best deal now either. Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thank you!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Hawaii, USA
  • Re: What's the best option for trading/exchanging a week?
    curiousone Platinum
    Currently Being Moderated

My wife and I own 5 weeks of MVC. Since we are both self employed and still working, we are not able to use the 5 weeks as vacation time. One of the reasons that I like MVC is all the flexibility, especially if you enroll your weeks in the DC points program. Until 12/31/12 my preferred use of my weeks was to turn them into Marriott Reward points and then turn those into Marriott Cheques. We then used the checks to pay for stays at Marriott resorts, meals and drinks included, effectively for free. (I figured that my annual maintenance fees paid for the Cheques.) Unfortunately that option has ended and it will probably be a while before we see something like that again. For 2013 I have decided to use the Vacation Package that gives either 5 or 7 nights at various category hotels with points transferred to the airline of your choice (except American Airlines). Many of the airlines accept Marriott Reward points 1:1. I recently did a Vacation Package for a Cat 7 hotel and 120,000 points to Southwest airlines. I will spend a week at the Seattle Waterfront Marriott and used some of my SWA points to fly round trip. A side benefit with SWA is that if you transfer 110,000, or more, points into SWA you qualify for the Companion Program. For 2013 I only have to pay for my ticket and my wife flys free. I see that as being equal to transferring 240,000 points to SWA. There are an amazing number of tricks and tips to maximize your points, all documented on the web. Two web sites that you might want to check are: Frugal Travel Guy and milevalue.com.  Good luck!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...