24 Replies Latest reply: Sep 7, 2016 3:14 PM by AndrewT RSS

Getting Marriott points for travel booked through Orbitz

totravelnice Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Any chance of getting Marriott to credit points booked through Orbitz? Probably dumb question, thought I would ask, I just booked last minute, one room left situation through Orbitz to secure a stay.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Getting Marriott points for travel booked through Orbitz
    vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

toravelnice,

I've never have booked anything with Orbitz, but it is my understanding that one does not accrue Marriott points when going through a 3rd party.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Well Yes, and No:,Depends on where you are going.

Here is the whole scoop. To bum some phrasing from PainedPlatinum back in April, and according to the Marriott terms and conditions:

"

• Rooms booked through third party online retailers, such as Expedia.com,
      Orbitz.com, Travelocity.com, and Hotels.com, as well as operators of opaque
      booking channels such as Priceline and Hotwire are not eligible for Points or
      Elite night credit. In cases where such third party online retailers offer for
      sale “retail” rates that require the guest to pay the hotel directly for the
      stay, provided the online retailer has remitted your Marriott Rewards
      information to the hotel, such stays are eligible for Points or Elite night
      credit. Wholesale packages and series tours are not eligible for Points or Elite
      night credit regardless of booking source."

Some people have stated that the folio when presented actually has dollar signs acrosswhere the MR points would be. Others say they get room night credit but no points, or vice. versa. In my experience, this would seem to only be true in hotels outside of the U.S., especially Australia. I cannot say yeah or neah for any given country.

In the U.S. I have never had a problem getting the points or nights. At check-in, I simply give the front desk my rewards number, and they transfer the credit over to a new folio, and I get full point allotment, including bonuses if applicable.

• Now in my experience, this will vary and even come down to property specific.  After you make the reservation, it will appear just as a normal Marriott reservation. At that point, you can go back and add your MR rewards number, or at the desk when checking in. The only rooms you cannot do the same with are though negotiated room sites such as "Priceline" or "Hotels.com".Same deal with "orbitz" and booking a airline flight. You acquire miles. I have used this method dozens of times.

• Hope this was helpful to you!!  - Al

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

Al,

Thanks for the clarification!  I can understand the incentives of a lower rate going through Priceline and Hotels.com.  What would the incentives be of using Orbitz and Travelocity to book Marriott rooms?  The pricing is the same correct?

Please read my edited statement earlier.

The real pitfall is that you cannot cancel the rooms without incurring a penalty, and depending on the site, not at all!

Just to be careful, you could call a property direct and ask how these folios are treated. I am sure they see them on a daily basis.

I have never had problems with Orbitz. Did you happen to notice if you can enter your MR number at some point while doing a booking? You could try and see what happens without actually entering your CC number or booking the place. It has been awhile since I have done an Orbitz hotel stay, but would have never done a second if did not get my points! LOL!

I still do Orbitz for airline travel all of the time, and never a problem with miles. Unless Orbitz changed something in the last year or so, I always got points.

Oh sorry! LOL! No, the rates can be different depending on which site you are in dramatically! LOL!

workworktravel Gold 3 Reviews

Hello, new to the forum here.  I wanted to see if anyone got credit for booking a Marriott hotel through Orbitz.  I just finished staying at the Marriott Waterfront Hotel and I did not get any points nor elite credits because I booked through a third party (Orbitz).  I was really sad about this because I actually called the Marriott Waterfront Hotel before I booked through Orbitz and they said that I would receive elite credit but no points, which was fine by me because the price was lower on Orbitz and the Elite credits were more important to me.

Alas, I just called Marriott Rewards and they said that nothing would be credited, even though I was misinformed by Marriott Hotel Waterfront in Burlingame, CA.  So because I booked through Orbitz I didn't get Megabonus, Elite, or points at all for my 3 day stay.  I'm bummed about this and I will probably never book Marriott hotels through Orbitz again.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

hello and welcome workworktravel. If I were you, I would try calling CS  and explaining that the Waterfront Hotel had told you when booking that you would receive elite credit. Sometimes it matters who you talk to in regards to what you can accomplish. It is worth a try anyway to explain the situation to them. As the previous post from alrenaissance states regarding the actual verbage on the Marriott site, it may be out of their hands and they may tell you that you were just mis-informed. However, they may feel as if you were not given the information you should have gotten and they will try to make it right.

workworktravel Gold 3 Reviews

Thanks so much madmax.  I did contact CS and they replied that it was out of their hands.  That's why I was disappointed; I just wish Marriott Waterfront got their facts straight before advising me that elite nights would be given to me when booking through Orbitz.

pscott1981 Member

akickel Member

Good afternoon,

I realize this thread is slightly old but have a similar question as it relates to Booking.com. I just spoke with a customer service representative that told me under no circumstances can points accrue for stays booked under third-party sites. This is frustrating as I have two stays that I confirmed my Marriott Rewards number upon check-in and nothing was mentioned regarding this condition. I only became aware of missing points upon reviewing my rewards account recently.

Additionally the customer service representative I dealt with was rather curt and while not directly rude, did not represent the ideal in customer service. I realize I should have thoroughly read the terms and conditions if this was something I was concerned about but being told that after receiving a disappointing response regarding points accrual was basically adding insult to injury.

Best,

Allison

It appears that may have been assisted directly on this thread so if there is anything that can be done for me, it would be duly appreciated. Thanks in advance for a response.

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hey akickel, shoot me a direct message with your Rewards number and hotel name / dates of stay or Reservation # and I can have our team look into your specific situation. If you could also send more details around your call with the customer service representative (date/time called, possibly the team member's name) that would also be helpful.

I also wanted to welcome you to the Marriott Rewards Insider forum! This is a wonderful place to share your experiences, perspectives, photos, and questions with fellow travelers. Feel free to check out our Getting Started Guide for tips on how to enhance your experience with the forum.

You are always welcome to reach out to me, lindseyh, carat or joshm with any questions or concerns about anything Marriott Rewards or the site. We make up the moderation team for the forum and we are here to help.

Thanks, and again, welcome

lscheich Member

deannad  lindseyhcaratjoshm Here's my situation.

I booked the JW Marriott Desert Ridge (Phoenix) for two days (the first day i need is sold out), so I additionally have the Marriott Scottsdale North booked...Without realizing that points and mega bonus would NOT be rewarded by booking through Expedia.

I have free cancellation for both of these hotels- so i wanted to book through Marriott directly rather than missing out on my points.  I called to speak to a representative who gave me a call back November 24th at 3:37pm (call from Omaha, NE) who was unbelievably unhelpful.  In fact, her complete response was "no"... silence.  After I thanked her for how helpful she had been, that was the end of our call. 

Is there a way to get the points for the Expedia booking?  I'm willing to cancel on Expedia and re-book directly through Marriott, however, since the hotel is sold out, I don't want to chance letting the rooms go for even a minute (there is a conference on property).

Any help would truly be appreciated!

All the best,

Lauren

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Thanks for reaching out, lscheich.  I'd like to work with our team for assistance on this, especially since the hotel is sold out.  Can you send me a private message with your  Rewards number and the dates of your stay?

siren11104 Member

carat i have a very similar situation. I was looking to book 2 rooms at the fairfield in Long island city /queensboro New York.

All Marriott hotels were sold out in the NYC area via Marriott direct. I was able to find openings for the Fairfield (which is lovely and I have stayed at previously) luckily via Priceline.

But I am concerned now that I learned I won't be receiving credit for my stay. Is their a possibility for me to still receive rewards because the rooms were sold out.?

I am willing to cancel my stay via priceline and rebook through Marriott if somehow it can become available for booking.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Thanks for reaching out, siren11104. Unfortunately, there is no way to receive credit when you've booked through a third party.  To make sure you are receiving your credit as well as the best rate, check out Marriott's Best Rate Guarantee. 

Online Hotel Booking and Reservations | Book Right on Marriott.com

I'd also like to welcome you to the Insiders Community.  As you may have already seen, this is a great forum to talk about all things travel related.  From sharing your recommendations and experiences to talking about the Rewards program, we cover it all.  As you know, I moderate this community with the help of deannad and lindseyh.  Please feel free to reach out to any of us with questions or comments.  I've also included a link to our Getting Started Guide, just in case you'd like to take a look. 

Getting Started Guide

Looking forward to hearing more from you!

siren11104 Member

carat thank you for your response. I did attempt to book directly through Marriott's Best Rate unfortunately the rooms were sold out.

Priceline was the only place I was able to book the 2 rooms. I am more then willing to cancel my booking through priceline if I can get the availability through Marriott Direct.

siren11104 Member

also thank you so much for the warm welcome to the community I greatly appreciate it!

athusu Gold

Hello, I know this is an old thread, but I have a question. I booked an Expedia trip with Air and Hotel (Marriott) not realizing that I wouldn't get points for the stay. Can you point me to the T&Cs for the points? The only reference I could find to Expedia was under the Miles section that says "Rooms booked through third party online retailers, such as Expedia.com, Orbitz.com, Travelocity.com, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, etc. are not eligible for Miles or Elite night credit. Wholesale packages and series tours are not eligible for Miles or Elite night credit regardless of booking source."

But it doesn't answer the question specific to Points.

kathynfmom Gold 3 Reviews

ok I have a question. I have booked the Marriott in Anaheim thru DisneyTravel Company. I only did this as there were no rooms availabe at the tiem for us and the only rooms I could find were thru Disney good neighbour hotel. I have it connected with a points stay and I am curious if I will earn elite ights? I have told the agency AND the Hotel and they said I should be able to earn my eilte nights but not sure about points? I did book a reservation for the 2nd night just in case that I can cancel once we are there. Will i still get nights credit for the sty? I ask as this is a 6 night stay? thanks

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...