5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 10, 2013 7:10 PM by GemPrincess RSS

Biker friendly Marriott locations

turbodave Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Who out there rides a lot, primarily throughout the USA & can recommend the most Biker friendly Marriott's?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Durango, Colorado, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Durango
Flagstaff, Arizona, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Flagstaff
New York, New York, USA The Ritz-Carlton The Ritz-Carlton New York, Central Park
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Milwaukee Downtown
Adirondacks, New York, USA
Sturgis, South Dakota, USA
  • Re: Biker friendly Marriott locations
    jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

My best suggestion is to contact the GM of properties you're interested in and find out what they'll provide or allow, such as covered parking where available (the CY in Milwaukee downtown comes to mind), or other amenities or considerations you feel are important. If it's one or two riders, you're likely to have better luck than if there are several bikes.

For a general (non-Marriott) resource BIKE STAY USA: Motorcycle Friendly Accommodation in the United States of America, bike-stay.net seems to be a fairly well maintained database of lodgings.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

turbodave Gold

jkernitzki,

I appreciate your reply. I know your not the only other Marriott Biker out there. If someone was riding West for the 1st time

I could tell them exactly where to stay. For example your heading to LA & wanna crash by the Pacific, but be close enough to cruise

Hollywood Blvd. & Sunset. You have a few days so you wanna head out next day to Malibu, it really doesn't matter, you logged 3000- miles,

never been to SoCal & you want a few days off your Bike.

I will not hesitate to advise you stay at the Santa Monica Marriott, LeMerrigot or the Marina Del Rey Beach Marriott on Admiralty. The Santa Monica is pricey but use points,

its next to the pier and walking distance to the 3rd St. Promenade. The Beach Marriott is Cheaper, but a couple hundred yards walk to Venice Beach and all kinds of Party action.

The real point is both Marriott's I mentioned allow you to park in their graded garage in the Valet Section. You still have to pay the Parking fee, but no one touches your ride.

You can put a cover on it or come & go as you please. But you can sleep well because your ride is inside & guarded. That's a Biker friendly Hotel.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

I have known many people who bike through Europe and stay at auberges, inns, chateaus along the way.  None of them seem to have any problems with accomodating bikes.  Some interesting links below on traveling & touring via bicycle along with bike-friendly hotels.  Marriott is only mentioned once on the WDC C&O Canal towpath article, one FFI is mentioned.

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/0799biking.htm

http://www.biketour-reviews.com/

http://www.bike-santabarbara.org/accommodation/inn/inn.html

http://www.biketrain.ca/toronto-hub/toronto-packages-and-promotions

http://bikewashington.org/canal/plan-lodging.php

http://www.bikearoundthebay.org/details.htm

turbodave Gold

GP,

I appreciate your reply. However, I will share some common Biker knowledge about Europe. I have used Harley "Fly & Ride" (HD's version of Platinum Elite) and I am in the Million Mile Club. I have had this status for the past 10-Years. It took me 28-years to get and I was still the youngest member at 42. That's around 38,000 registered Rides over 28-years. Last year I did Australia with my 17-yr. old Daughter. As a Lifetime HOG member in the Million Mile Club. it's like buying 3-plane tickets. 2-Tickets for my Daughter & myself another for for my Bike to be crated and flown over with us. We flew to Sydney, rode 3000 miles across the continent, thru the outback and finished in Perth. Then we all flew home from Perth. I did the same thing thru the UK. Flew into Dublin & home from London.

Europe is a whole other animal. Europe is home to the most high tech theft rings in the world. My bike would disappear in seconds. This June my wife & I are going to Rome June 11th for the Harley 110th Anniversary celebration in Rome, then I have a bike waiting for me to ride without risking my own. I still need to use a Biker friendly hotel, so I have chosen the Autograph Boscala in Vatican City. We are planning on taking a couple long rides to France and Germany. The Autograph will be home base.

What's pretty cool is the Autograph is a category 8 Hotel, so using the 40,000 points per night plan. you use 160,000 for 4-nights & the 5th is free. I'm staying 10-nights, so 320,000 covers the Hotel. The Destinations Club points will get us each round trip air from LAX to Rome & Back. 1st Class from LA to JFK and Business Class to Rome. Same for the return home. The Autograph, due to the Harley Celebration and the event is expected to have over 1,000,000 Harley's is now sold out, but I got in early with points. The price out of pocket would have been 1,000 euro's/NT. or approximately $13,000 USD. Some times the points are not worth using but this is a case where they make sense.

Next years Fly & Ride is to Istanbul, ride down the Eastern Med. to the Wailing Wall in Jerusalem. They tell me it's a Spiritual ride. Should be good.

Thanks for the links & take care,

TurboDave!

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

TD,

I was intrigued by the posts, and some of my friends just returned from Europe and really liked biking from Chataue to Chateau.  I never thought to ask them the practical quesiton of what happens to the bikes at night.

When we were in Eastern Europe, we stopped no where that didn't have a gated lock for the car.  And if we stopped for a meal, we sat with a clear view of the car on ths street.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...