1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 13, 2013 12:28 AM by californian RSS

No longer a Marriott Hotel?

tomd68 Gold 7 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Why would a hotel no longer be affiliated with Marriott?

I tend to travel to Panama City Beach FL for work multiple times a year.  I used to always stay at the Baypoint Marriott Resort there, and always had great experiences- from food, staff, and rooms.  Last year however, they switched from being the Baypoint Marriott to the Wyndham Baypoint Resort.  It was (probably still is), a nice hotel that always seemed busy.  Any idea why it's no longer a Marriott?  I could guess that it might be for several reasons:

1. They lost their franchise?  It was looking a bit worn down, faded and peeling paint, grounds not looking like other Marriott hotels.  Does Marriott rescind brand affiliation?

2. Franchise fees went up and the owner sold/sold out to Wyndham?

3. Franchisee lost their lease and the property owner sold?

4. Wasn't doing as booming of a business as Marriott may demand/need from it's franchisees?

This is the only hotel I've seen in the Marriott stable that changed to a different hotel brand.  Anyone seen this from others?  Any idea why this occurs?

I miss using this hotel as it was close to the Naval Base there (<5mins), close to the beach, luxurious, and I could get a great rate year round.  Now I have to drive 20+mins to stay in a CY or TPS.  Not horrible, but not the same either.

Thoughts?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Panama City Beach, Florida, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Residence Inn Chicago Midway Airport
  • Re: No longer a Marriott Hotel?
    californian Platinum 37 Reviews
    Currently Being Moderated

1. might be the reason.  If a hotel needs upgrading, Marriott gives the owner a list of renovations needed to maintain the franchise.  They have a time limit.  If the hotel does not meet the requirements, they lose the Marriott name.

The others also sound like possible's.  Wyndham might have offered them a better deal.  I am not sure that you will ever find out what happened.

It is frustrating when you like a hotel and then it is no longer there for you.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...