12 Replies Latest reply: Jan 15, 2013 8:57 PM by muppetwrangler RSS

Where to stay in and around DC?

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Looking for hotel recommendations in and around DC.  I'll be there with my family, so needs to be child friendly, definitely have a pool and be very close to a Metro rail station.  Appreciate all comments!  Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Washington D.C., USA
Arlington, Virginia, USA Courtyard By Marriott Protea Hotel Lusaka Tower
Arlington, Virginia, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Courtyard Lubbock Downtown
Arlington, Virginia, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Renaissance Denver Downtown City Center Hotel
Washington, District Of Columbia, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Protea Hotel Ranch Resort & Lion Park
Washington, District Of Columbia, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Residence Inn Pullman
Washington, District Of Columbia, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Residence Inn Texarkana
Washington, District Of Columbia, USA The Ritz-Carlton Protea Hotel Thuringerhof
Washington, District Of Columbia, USA The Ritz-Carlton Courtyard Philadelphia Bensalem
Washington, District Of Columbia, USA JW Marriott Protea Hotel Mbweni Ruins
Washington, District Of Columbia, USA Renaissance Hotels Courtyard Bali Seminyak
Washington, District Of Columbia, USA Renaissance Hotels Courtyard Irvine Spectrum
Washington, District Of Columbia, USA Renaissance Hotels Fairfield Inn & Suites Columbus Airport
  • Re: Where to stay in and around DC?
    vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

Muppetwrangler,

Here are a few suggestions of Marriott properties that are located near Metro stations that I would recommend which include swimming pools:

1.) Courtyard Dunn Loring - My fave spot to stay in Northern Virginia, Great weekend rates, Near Tysons Corner and right across the steet from the Dunn Loring Metro Station (Orange Line).

2.) Crystal Gateway Marriott- located in Arlington VA near Regan Airport.  The Crystal Gateway Metro station (Blue & Yellow Line) is connected via a walkway to Hotel Lobby.

3.) Washington Marriott at Metro Center- Located in central part of DC, Metro Center station (Orange, Blue, & Red Lines) adjacent to hotel

4.) Courtyard Convention Center - Located in central DC, A couple of blocks from Metro Center Station and Gallery Place/Chinatown Stations

Have a safe and fun time!  Let us know how it goes.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thank you for the recommendations!  I'll look into the different properties to see which will fill our needs the best!

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

My favorite spot is the Key Bridge Marriott as the views along the Potomac are great, and its walking distance to some of my favorite restaurants in Georgetown. Also near by are the Rosslyn Residence Inn and Courtyard.

Each of the WDC properties offers different advantages depending on what you want to do, and I would be inclined to pick a hotel near to what I plan to do so I can take advantage of walking as DC is a great walking city.

Also, the Metro goes many places, so any hotel near a metro stop in Maryland, Virginia or Washington DC will give you easy access to just about everything in DC.

When I lived there, one of the things I enjoyed the most was the Smithsonian complex with its wide variety of museums.  Any of the Marriotts along Pennsylvania Ave (JW Marriott at 14th street), or F or H street (Metro Center, CY Convention Center) are walking distance to the Ford's Theater, Smithsonian, White House, FBI, Archives, Capital, Supreme Court, Library of Congress, Folger Shakespearean Theater. One of the oldest restaurants, Old Ebbit Grill is just a couple of blocks from Metro Center, and easy walking disatnce of the hotels in this area, and is now owned by Clydes a popular restaurant chain that started as a single restaurant in Georgetown.

http://www.fordstheatre.org/home/performances-events/history-foot-walking-tours?gclid=COyXmuWf5LQCFUQw4AodZ0EA7w

http://www.si.edu/

http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/tours-and-events

http://www.crimemuseum.org/visit-museum/

http://www.archives.gov/nae/visit/

http://www.visitthecapitol.gov/

http://www.supremecourt.gov/visiting/touringthebuilding.aspx

http://www.loc.gov/visit/tours/guided/

The Dupont Circle (Renaissance), Conneticut Ave (Mayflower and Wardman) are near some great shopping along Conneticut Avenue, and the National Geographic Museum, Newseum. Further north on Conneticut, near the Wardman is the National Zoo which is part of the Smithsonian Complex.

http://events.nationalgeographic.com/events/locations/city/washingtondc/

http://www.newseum.org/exhibits-and-theaters/index.html

http://nationalzoo.si.edu/visit/default.cfm

Other properties to consider are located between Dupont Circle and Georgetown (Washington or Ritz Carlton Marriotts, or the Georgetown Ritz Carlton), all of which is walking distance to Georgetown, Dupont Circle and Conneticut Ave, and Pennsylvania Ave,

For more information from fellow Marriott Insiders who have traveled in DC, and for property reviews, please see the following links:

Washington DC Mayflower Hotel

The Mayflower

Renaissance Mayflower Hotel

Renaissance Dupont Circle Washington DC

Washington DC Great Spot

Washington Marriott at Metro Center or JW Marriott in DC?  Which is better?

DC Hotels - JW or Metro Center?

JW Marriott Washington, DC  http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/11773

Where to stay in and around DC?

DC travel tips

which hotel(s) are best when staying in Washington DC with teenagers and wanting to be within walking distance to most of the sites?

Favorite Washington DC Restaurants?

DC Marriott Most Accessible to Museums/Tourist Attractions

Washington DC/Kennedy Center Seating

Washington DC

washington dc

Family Trip to DC

Family Road Trip

Heading to DC with my 8 and 10 year kids

Washington DC for Families

Washington DC with kids of all ages

Washington DC and Miami

Washington DC 4th of July

Going "under cover" in N.W. Washington DC

Studio Apartment in Washington DC for the Inaugural

Location Brand Hotel
    Arlington, Virginia, USA Courtyard By Marriott Protea Hotel Lusaka Tower
    Arlington, Virginia, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Courtyard Lubbock Downtown
    Arlington, Virginia, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Renaissance Denver Downtown City Center Hotel
    Washington, District Of Columbia, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Protea Hotel Ranch Resort & Lion Park
    Washington, District Of Columbia, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Residence Inn Pullman
    Washington, District Of Columbia, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Residence Inn Texarkana
    Washington, District Of Columbia, USA The Ritz-Carlton Protea Hotel Thuringerhof
    Washington, District Of Columbia, USA The Ritz-Carlton Courtyard Philadelphia Bensalem
    Washington, District Of Columbia, USA JW Marriott Protea Hotel Mbweni Ruins
    Washington, District Of Columbia, USA Renaissance Hotels Courtyard Bali Seminyak
    Washington, District Of Columbia, USA Renaissance Hotels Courtyard Irvine Spectrum
    Washington, District Of Columbia, USA Renaissance Hotels Fairfield Inn & Suites Columbus Airport

Thanks a million!  This is way better (not to mention more useful) than any guide book!!

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

I like the Washington Marriott at Metro Center.  It is right next to a metro station and is within walking distance to some notable DC restaurants.  The hotel is on the small side (due to its location), but the rooms are big enough and comfortable (the smallness is most noticeable in the lobby area).  The Concierge Lounge is small (with no real living area), but the food offerings are decent.

I cannot remember if they have a pool.  I think they do.  The fitness center is nice.

You can walk to the National Mall though it is quite a long walk.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

I think that GemPrincess picked up all of the prior discussion on this, so I'll just add one tip.  Like NYC, there are a LOT of choices, and market pricing fluctuates constantly.  So, reserve a REFUNDABLE room (or rooms) early, and check back frequently (even at the 11th hour).  You'll be stunned by the differences from week to week and, sometimes, day to day.

Good luck!

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

OK, one more suggestion - in addition to the lengthy list GemPrincess posted, keep your eye on the two (2) Crystal City Marriotts and the Pentagon City Residence Inn - they are large, METRO accessible, properties that offer terrific rates if they aren't nearing capacity....

Thanks, will do!

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Another way to pick hotels, is to look at all the things you want to do, and see which metro line they are on, and then check all the hotels on that line.

For instance, the Smithsonian is one of my favorite places to go, or if arriving/departing DCA airport, both of which are on the blue line, I could stay at the hotels that ssindc is recommending in Crystal city that have great pricing, or Rosslyn where I like the view, or Metro Center that was previously recommended as a great place to stay as its walking distance to many things, I can also easily get to Arlington Cemetery, Dupont Circle (nearby museums), and Metro center is at the intersection of the red and blue lines.

The redline is what you would use to go to the zoo, Dupont Circle (or any hotels there), Union station if you travel by train like I do.

Sometimes I get off the Amtrak at New Carrollton, instead of going all the way to the end of the line at Union station.  I can either stay at the CY at this stop (near both the Amtrak and the metro) or take the orange line (eliminating the time to get to the last stop, and a transfer at Metro Center from the Red to the Blue/Orange line to Rosslyn to my favorite location at Key Bridge with great views, or use my Cat 1-4 certificates at the RI or CY in Rosslyn.

There are just so many options.

The key is decide what you want to do and what best fits your logistics and tastes.

lorirobert Platinum

We stayed at the Washington Marriott Wardman Park. It is wonderful, right beside the metro station, walking distance to the national zoo, lots of restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. Recommend Open City DC for dinner. McDonalds is close if youhave kids who like that. We were there with our son, he loved it. They do have a pool, but it is outdoors. Not sure if they have an indoor pool.