1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 11, 2013 7:33 AM by laurac RSS

Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Clause

2puravida Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Our Christmas season this year was overshadowed  by health issues within our family.

The opportunity to rendezvous in Chicago with our oldest daughter was a glimmer of sunshine, in the midst of a difficult time.

We went ahead with our plans to stay downtown at the Residence Inn on East Walton Place, where we could easily take our granddaughter to American Girl and the surrounding shops.

Travel did not go easily, so we were not in good shape up arriving at the hotel. In the prior week, my husband had surgery and I fell on the ice while with him at the hospital. I fractured my leg and ankle, was in a cast, using wheelchair and scooter/walker chair. Our 2 bedroom was beautiful, but to my dismay , even my small walker could not fit into the bathroom.

The arrangement we settled on was just not right for our needs  to maneuver with scooter chair, hotel furniture, bathroom size, etc. We were in too much pain to even take our granddaughter to dinner. I was miserable and so disappointed that our family Christmas environment did not look like I had imagined and did not seem like it would work for all of us to relax together.

After realizing that moving a piece of furniture would help the room be more comfortable for us, we called the front desk to ask for help. Enter property manager Margie. Margie came into our room and saw me  laying in the bed, with leg on pillows, and teary, tired look on my face. She immediately responded with such warmth and empathy, noting  that I looked miserable and uncomfortable.  Margie immediately sprung into action on our behalf, gathering her team members Jeanette and Quinton.. She and her team looked at room possibilities that would better suit our "rough" physical state. When they found a better set-up, they wheeled me in my chair to see if I approved.  After I did,  Margie led Jeanette and Quinton in facilitating the room move, while setting me into the chair and ottoman with yogurt, fresh fruit, and a cold bottle of water. She spent time listening to our crazy two month journey with medical emergencies and issues. Although Margie was the property manager, she never indicated that anything in her schedule was more important then my comfort and our family's stay at the Marriott.

We were overwhelmed with the excellent business practice that Margie operated in, were teary-eyed with the red-carpet treatment, and touched by someone taking time to care about the hard season we had been in. Our room was was perfect: large enough for me to scoot around in my chair, comfortable enough for my husband and I to sit and not hurt, post-op and post leg-cast, and the 19th floor Chicago coastline view made the ambiance a 5-star place to renew and recover. I immediately felt that bounce-back and we found the energy to take our family out to an early dinner.

As if Margie and her team had not done enough for us, when we came in after dinner, our coffee table contained a child's gift bag, filled with gifts for our granddaughter, another gift bag filled with treats for the adults, and a box of gourmet cupcakes from a specialty shop in the city. A hand written note wished us a 2013 filled with health and happiness. Our Christmas was redeemed and we were renewed and encouraged because of an excellent manager named Margie and her great staffers, Jeanette and Quinton.

This was our third stay at this Marriott property and I guarantee that Margie secured our future return visits!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Chicago, Illinois, USA
  • Re: Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Clause
    laurac Marriott Associate
    Currently Being Moderated

Greetings, 2puravida, On behalf of Marriott associates around the world, we take pride in providing exceptional service for each and every guest and we appreciate you taking the time to nominate these Marriott associates for this important award. We’ll enter these nominations for consideration of the Spirit to Serve award.

Wishing you all the best and a healthy, happy new year -

Best,

Laura & The Marriott Rewards Insiders Team

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...