8 Replies Latest reply: May 28, 2013 12:45 AM by hopetix RSS

GONE - Platinum Elite Awards - No Loyalty from Marriott!

dt95 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I looked all over the website to locate the Platinum Elite Awards.  In the past you could redeem 135,000 point for $1,000 of gift checks.  Finally, I called and learned the award was no longer being offered - TAKEN AWAY AGAIN!  Our points continue to be devalued.

I hope they will reconsider.

• Re: GONE - Platinum Elite Awards - No Loyalty from Marriott!
    jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

This was announced some months ago, the company that provides the cheques (not Marriott) was discontinuing them. The Marriott folks indicated they were looking into alternatives to replace them.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

dt95 Platinum

Given Marriott is still selling gift cards, it should be quite easy to just offer gift cards, instead of gift checks.
      Would seem like a pretty easy solution.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

That was one of the concepts they proffered; I'm sure we'll all hear of the new direction once it's settled on. While the decision may be easy, the implementation is relatively complex, expensive (particularly if they pull it "in-house"), & cumbersome

vickisocal Platinum

Wow you have a lot more faith in them offering a replacement than I do, after the fiasco of the year long replacement coming soon for the BOGO.

Oh, I don't have faith in anything, I was just forwarding what had been put out by the Marriott folks here already, and added my own understanding and observations. Personally, I really couldn't care less what they do or don't offer. I look at it this way: If it's something that is of value to me then I'll take advantage of it; if not then I'm not going to overly stress about it.

For my own part, I've never used the cheques, BOGO, or pretty much any of those types of things. I just burn points for "stuff" or give friends some free nights somewhere. It works for me.

floridatravels Platinum 9 Reviews

Very, very few ever took advantage of this offer also. I started a post on the discontinuation around the end of November. you should probably read Insider more often.  BTW- The offer always showed that it expired the end of the year but they offered it every year. I NEVER assumed it would continue and order my needs by the end of each year.  I tend to assume if there is an exp for an offer it is likely that the offer wont be continued.  MR also posted on Insider this information the middle of December.  Each posting got lots of traffic also.

sdbroker Platinum

Yes, floridatravels did post the info a while back, and I picked a couple thou of the checks to get me through for a while.  As mentioned previously, I will be looking forward to the next promotion.  Thanks to Marriott for the years of the great reward!

hopetix Platinum 2 Reviews

Yes and now the gift cards went from 204,000 to 255,000. Nothing like an almost 100% increase in points for $1000 in Marriott money. Now that I have lifetime status I am going to burn my points quickly and get matching status somewhere else and go where the points are actually worth something. Apparently they blame SkyMall for the increase....GUESS WHAT YOU ARE THEIR CUSTOMER MARRIOTT you have some control and could threaten to take your business elsewhere if you cared to make it a deal for your loyal customers....so blaming SkyMall is a big line of hooey!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...