5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 9, 2013 11:22 PM by GemPrincess RSS

Marriott East Side

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I booked four days at this property for the end of March using points. Can I get a consensus of how many people have been upgraded upon check in while staying here?

Also, is the lounge open on the weekend?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott East Side
    bippie Platinum 4 Reviews

When I stayed there a year ago, the lounge was not open on the weekend. They closed after breakfast on Friday and reopened on Sunday evening.

As per an upgrade, I got a slightly larger room.

This was one of the most disappointing stays I've ever had at a Marriott. They might have changed, but I could not even get a wireless Internet signal in my second room.

There is a long review of my stay on Tripadvisor - probably posted in Nov or Dec 2011. With so many Marriott options in NYC, I personally will stay at any of them rather than the Marriott East Side.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

mikieg:

Have to take the other side of the coin here....we have stayed at the Marriott Eastside many times and love the joint. Every time we have stayed, we have been welcomed back and given a larger corner room. Have stayed on room rate and points. Never had a problem with the internet. The CL has a staff person that welcomes you, asks if you need help with NYC destinations, touring the city and so on. The CL has a great breakfast and great appetizers at night. With staff monitoring who comes and goes, it is a nice and comfortable lounge. There is an outside deck that, if the March weather permits, will make a nice place to sit outside and look over things from the 16th floor. You could make a meal of the  appetizers at night, but we don't go to the city to eat in the Eastside CL. The bell staff is outstanding if you want some direction as to where to go and what to do.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

I learned a long time ago to read between the lines when it comes to reviews. Earlier today I was going through Tripadvisor and smack between a dozen 3 and 4 star reviews was some guy who gave it a 1, because housekeeping didn't bring him extra towels when he called them.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

mikieg:

The lounge is not open on the weekends. But, if you walk down to 3rd Ave (2 blocks) there are some great local breakfast joints with great food and very inexpensive. Always packed with locals and the tourists that know about them. Also, Smith & Wollensky is just around the corner from the hotel.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

I just about always get a corner room at the eastside, and this is considered an upgrade.

Since its an older property, the rooms are smaller.

I love the location though, and also the lobby bar is great so I don't end up spending alot of time in the room.

When I want lots of space, I stay at the RI on 6th btw 38th & 39th.  They usually upgrade me to a corner room, but their corner rooms are like a studio apartment and I like to think of them as my pied-à-terre!  Has kitchen with black granite counter tops and stainless appliances, a sitting area with a loveseat that folds out into a bed, chairs and coffee table, and a large bed. I have comfortably had my sister and her adult children in the room, with plenty of room to spare.  The only rub when its more than me, is there is only 1 TV that swivels between the seating area and the sleeping area.

There are great views as well, depending on which corner you get, of either bryant park or the empire state building.

Concierge is huge, whole 3rd floor, and their is a lovely breakfast on the weekends.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...